Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
irishtexmex
Enthusiast
irishtexmex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voygae (Old: B&N Nook ST)
Question Help Formatting: Make words in between underscores italicized.

I have an epub of a book that instead of words being italicized has words in between underscores. As it is a very basic book, I converted to RTF and opened it up in Word (can't install SIGIL on any of the computers I use at school) to use the almighty Find and Replace tool. However, I'm now at a loss as to how to change the words between the underscores to italics AND remove those underscores.

Everywhere I've looked online has instructions on how to do this with quotation marks, and this is sticky because more than likely those quotation marks are "smart quotations" with opening and closing quotes. Anybody able to offer any help? Much appreciation and many thanks.

Thank you.
irishtexmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Try this:
Using Word Find & Replace:

Check the 'Use Wildcards' box
In the Find box, type
Code:
_(*)_
In the Replace box, type
Code:
\1
then [Ctrl]-I or Format - Font - Italic to specify Italics

Then press the 'Replace All' button

Attached is a screencap of the Find/Replace box in Word so you can see what it should look like.
Caveat: My version of Word is pretty old. The box may have changed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rep_italics.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	63009  
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
irishtexmex
Enthusiast
irishtexmex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voygae (Old: B&N Nook ST)
Excellent. That worked perfectly. Thank you!
irishtexmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
You're welcome
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote