Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
haiyeekayakee
haiyeekayakee will become famous soon enoughhaiyeekayakee will become famous soon enoughhaiyeekayakee will become famous soon enoughhaiyeekayakee will become famous soon enoughhaiyeekayakee will become famous soon enoughhaiyeekayakee will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS650
Import existing .opf's & books

I'm sorry if this is a silly question and I've had a quick search but can't find anything about it, but I've been messing around and managed to make a haimes of things and my backup drive has gone kaput (it's currently resting in the freezer in the ultimate desperate act to try and recover data!)

I'm now left with my main library, and several-dozen subdirs where I'd been playing around with another library. These subdirs contain the books, cover and .opfs. I can import all the files (epubs) from Calibre, but it seems to
leave all the metadata from the .opfs behind.

Is there any way by which I can import these folders in bulk including the metadata? Right now I'm having to go to each folder in Nautilus (I'm using Linux), select the opf and open it with Calibre, then go to Calibre and manually add the book to the entry. It's a pain to say the least
haiyeekayakee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
a recursive add (one book per directory) will read the emtadata from the opfs. click the arrow next to the add books button.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Make a ZIP of the folder containing a single .opf plus the rest of the files for that ebook, then import the .zip file into Calibre.

If the original was an ePub, then you could try renaming the .zip to .epub, but this might not make a legal .epub (and I don't know how much difference it makes to Calibre anyway).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
haiyeekayakee
haiyeekayakee will become famous soon enoughhaiyeekayakee will become famous soon enoughhaiyeekayakee will become famous soon enoughhaiyeekayakee will become famous soon enoughhaiyeekayakee will become famous soon enoughhaiyeekayakee will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS650
That's strange, I could have sworn I'd tried that already (as it's so obvious and basic, which is why I was a bit embarrassed to ask this) and it hadn't worked. Maybe I'd then looked at some entries that I hadn't originally entered data for or something equally daft

Either way, it has worked, I'm saved ! Many thanks for the very fast replies, you're scholars and gentlemen
haiyeekayakee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:55 AM   #5
Manja
Manja began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
a recursive add (one book per directory) will read the emtadata from the opfs. click the arrow next to the add books button.
I never thought it'd be so simple to restore my corrupt library.
Thanks a lot!
Manja is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2017, 05:02 PM   #6
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I just migrated my calibre library over to my new computer using the "export data/import data" tool, and had the same issue - all my metadata.opf files are missing.

Please, can you explain what you mean by a "recursive add"? I'm assuming I need these files.

Thanks!!
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:22 PM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
I just migrated my calibre library over to my new computer using the "export data/import data" tool, and had the same issue - all my metadata.opf files are missing.

Please, can you explain what you mean by a "recursive add"? I'm assuming I need these files.
You don't really need them; they are a backup of the data in your Calibre database. You can regenerate them from the GUI with Library -> Library Maintenance -> Library metadata backup status -> Queue all books for backup. Or with the command line 'calibredb backup_metadata'
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:17 PM   #8
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Thanks! I'm trying that now! I couldn't figure out why nothing I imported had the metadata files in the folders, I thought Windows 10 was hiding them despite being told to show hidden files. Then I realised they hadn't been imported when the new files I had created since the import had them.

Again, many thanks!!!
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote