Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
Bobshere
Bobshere began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Cool Sticking or Sluggish K3 Power Switch

Bob says:
I got to this discussion from Google, searching for Kindle 3 sticky power switch. I've read thru discussions I found on the net. This seems to be a not uncommon issue with these new Kindles. Then I watched a disassembly of a K3 on UTube. I concluded that the very robust looking spring for this switch made it very unlikely as a culprit. I keep my K3 clean, so contamination wasn't an issue. I decided something was causing friction between the plastic slider and plastic casing. I simply turned the Kindle on/off on/off rapidly 10 or 15 times. That TOTALLY solved the problem without any lubricants or disassembly.

Bob Orinda, California
Bobshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:20 AM   #2
ScoutPilot
Enthusiast
ScoutPilot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket, Kindle 2, Kindle 3 3G+WiFi
I'll second that! I had the same issue at first but after scrolling through a bunch of screensavers I put on there one day, it slides really nicely now.
ScoutPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
Doug Huffman
Banned
Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.

Location: Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
Device: KINDLE 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shere View Post
[ ... ]I keep my K3 clean, so contamination wasn't an issue. I decided something was causing friction between the plastic slider and plastic casing.
I think "something" causing friction qualifies as contamination - the undesirable presence of a foreign substance. That'll be cured by judicious application of an appropriate cleaner. Lubrication is just another foreign substance.
Doug Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
violent23
Connoisseur
violent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Oasis 2017, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Keyboard
Mine was also like that at first, but after a little bit of use the "stickiness" whent away. Hopefully yours does too, if not I would call Amazon and get a replacement.
violent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
The switch mechanism is so incredibly simple and the spring virtually unbreakable that contamination or damage is the only likely reason for a sticking switch. Try blowing some compressed air into the switch area and see what flies out.

(Could be belly-button lint if you read in bed.)
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
i have had this problem two on a couple of occasions. firmly but gently nudging the button all the way and back a number of times solved the problem.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:48 AM   #7
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
I believe that what may have thrown some users (including myself) off is that the switch initially was as smooth as butter, and then issues started cropping up after some time. I had my K3 for approximately a month with no issues, and then I started having the slow switch problem. I thought that it may have been related to the cooler climate of winter. However the problem has all but disappeared and the switch is working as it should even with the cooler climate. I did notice that when I was having the issue one day I turned the K3 on and it felt like it had overcome some type of internal resistants. I haven't had the issue since that day which was about a week ago.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote