Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Canadians! Where are you?
Alberta 6 8.22%
British Columbia 11 15.07%
Manitoba 2 2.74%
New Brunswick 1 1.37%
Newfoundland and Labrador 0 0%
Northwest Territories 0 0%
Nova Scotia 0 0%
Nunavut 0 0%
Ontario 30 41.10%
Prince Edward Island 0 0%
Quebec 5 6.85%
Saskatchewan 1 1.37%
Yukon 0 0%
I don't live in Canada, but I want to take part in the poll anyway 17 23.29%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Canadians Poll - Where are you?

Since it seems from The All New, 2011 (almost) Where Are You From? Thread that there are more Candians here than from anywhere else, perhaps we should find out a bit more about them.

So — where are the Canadians? Are they all from the far North, reading by artifical light through the long winter nights? Or are they cosmopolitan high-tech city dwellers from Toronto?

Bored minds what to know!
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Since it seems from The All New, 2011 (almost) Where Are You From? Thread that there are more Candians here than from anywhere else, perhaps we should find out a bit more about them.

So — where are the Canadians? Are they all from the far North, reading by artifical light through the long winter nights? Or are they cosmopolitan high-tech city dwellers from Toronto?

Bored minds what to know!
Semi-high-tech cosmopolitan, reading by artificial light through the long winter nights, and bored by the rainy season in Vancouver.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 07:47 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Semi-high-tech cosmopolitan, reading by artificial light through the long winter nights, and bored by the rainy season in Vancouver.
The poll is now available.

Go on, check the correct radio button for you (i.e. British Columbia) and 'vote'...
Old 11-30-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And for those that are unfamiliar with Canadian Provinces and Territories.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
And for those that are unfamiliar with Canadian Provinces and Territories.
Hopefully everyone living in Canada will at least know which Province or Territory they live in!
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Hopefully everyone living in Canada will at least know which Province or Territory they live in!
I would hope so! The map is more for the "I don't live in Canada, but I want to take part in the poll anyway", but unlike yourself, aren't familiar with Canadian Geography.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Burlington, ON.....for now. Hoping to move somewhere a little less populated.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:10 AM   #8
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm from Toronto, but I lived most of my life in a suburb of Toronto (Mississauga, just on the Toronto - Mississauga border). Now I'm an ex-pat who visits about once a year. This year I'll probably be spending a fair chunk of the year in Canada.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:16 AM   #9
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Burlington, ON.....for now. Hoping to move somewhere a little less populated.
I'm in the UK, but my Uncle and his family live in Burlington so I've visited there quite a few times. I love Benny's Deli on the lakefront!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #10
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I'm in the UK, but my Uncle and his family live in Burlington so I've visited there quite a few times. I love Benny's Deli on the lakefront!
I haven't been there but I'll check it out now
Old 11-30-2010, 09:27 AM   #11
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I'm from Toronto, but I lived most of my life in a suburb of Toronto (Mississauga, just on the Toronto - Mississauga border). Now I'm an ex-pat who visits about once a year. This year I'll probably be spending a fair chunk of the year in Canada.
I grew up in Toronto, in some of the more dangerous areas. I moved out here to be with my husband and it's strange going to Toronto now when I visit my parents (who are still in one of the most dangerous areas). I feel a bit out of place, but it's also a little like going home.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
What an interesting poll.

I tend to think of Canada as just one large country that spreads from border to border.......the map is especially welcome.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I grew up in Toronto, in some of the more dangerous areas. I moved out here to be with my husband and it's strange going to Toronto now when I visit my parents (who are still in one of the most dangerous areas). I feel a bit out of place, but it's also a little like going home.
I'm living in downtown Toronto, and I think I should expand upon what Pookeysgirl is talking about... Now I'm not sure which neighbourhood she grew up in, but about 12 or 13 years ago the province combined five cities, one borough, and the regional level into one big (mega-?) city of 2.5 million people. That big city now has roughly 60 murders per year, and the general crime rate has been going down for the last decade or so. It's pretty safe, if not quite so much as the outer suburban areas.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #14
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Toronto girl here. I grew up right downtown and now live in mid-town Toronto. High of 10 C here today and it's raining cats and dogs. Last year we got next to no snow ... I suppose it's too much to hope for the same this year.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #15
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
I'm living in downtown Toronto, and I think I should expand upon what Pookeysgirl is talking about... Now I'm not sure which neighbourhood she grew up in, but about 12 or 13 years ago the province combined five cities, one borough, and the regional level into one big (mega-?) city of 2.5 million people. That big city now has roughly 60 murders per year, and the general crime rate has been going down for the last decade or so. It's pretty safe, if not quite so much as the outer suburban areas.
I can clarify...I grew up in Parkdale, right around the corner from the CNE. I used to go to all the Blue Jay games with my mom at Exhibition Stadium. I lived not too far from Regent Park until I was 17, then moved to Rexdale with my ex until I was 22 (when I smartened up and left). We couldn't even walk around the block without the dog at our side...just in case. I was in the Albion Mall during a shooting...that was fun . My parents live around Keele/Wilson where half the shootings are going on right now. Everyday when I watch the news, I wonder if it's my brother who's been shot. And yet...I kinda miss the city sometimes.