Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-25-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Found a disadvantage to library books

In my time crunched Mom-to-two-professional-workerbee lifestyle, I apparently don't have time to finish a big SciFi novel (Terminal World) in a timely fashion. Didn't help that I assumed that today counted and didn't press as hard as I might have if I didn't assume I had a whole vacation day to work on reading it before it went poof.

I requested it again, I wonder how long it will take to get it back!
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I've run across that with library print books - another patron puts a hold on it near the due date so I can't renew it.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 11:47 PM   #3
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I've run across that with library print books - another patron puts a hold on it near the due date so I can't renew it.
Ah, but with a library book, you can suck up the 10¢ per day fine and just keep it out until you finish it. I think some libraries might charge 25¢ per day.

That's the good and bad of library ebooks. Good because it keeps the book circulating instead of someone not returning it and won't ever generate a late fee. Bad if you don't finish it in time.

If you really want to finish it you can strip off the DRM and then delete it when you finish reading. As long as you haven't actually deleted the book from the My Digital Editions folder you can still strip-DRM, even after it's expired. I've resorted to that a time or two.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:41 AM   #4
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
And another trick I have used when this happened to me - I changed the date on my reader to 2 days earlier and that let me finish my library book. But make sure you change it back before you plug your ereader back into ADE or whatever software you use as it can get confused.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:44 AM   #5
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I have found that if my library book is open on my reader, I can read it as long as I want, as long as I don't plug it into my computer and let it sync in the meantime. If I get out of the actual text of the book, it's no longer readable.

I was able to finish several books that way, just couldn't go to any other book (or the menu) until I was done!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert