Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
jackinca
Connoisseur
jackinca began at the beginning.

Device: sony 900
350-650-950 Transfer of Highlights to Computer

When highlighting sections of a sentence, paragraph or a paragraph of itself in a copyrighted DRM book purchased apparently from any source, the new Sony ereaders will only transfer from the Sony Library a small portion of the highlighted sections to your computer. This is not true of books out of copyright. Therefore you can not practically save a full sentence, paragraph or portion of one for future reference if the copyright of the book has not expired.
jackinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
The old SONY ereaders were no different, from this point of view. But I agree - it is annoying as all heck.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 04:25 AM   #3
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
Unfortunately (for users), Sony tends to err on the side of draconian when it comes to issues of copyright and DRM. Anyone who's owned an earlier Sony minidisc will tell of the frustration of sonicstage, basically treating users like potential music pirates and criminals. I'm sure the over the top restrictions had a lot to do with the demise of that format, which was technically very very good otherwise. I hope it's not going to be the same for their ereaders.
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
jackinca
Connoisseur
jackinca began at the beginning.

Device: sony 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpw View Post
Unfortunately (for users), Sony tends to err on the side of draconian when it comes to issues of copyright and DRM. Anyone who's owned an earlier Sony minidisc will tell of the frustration of sonicstage, basically treating users like potential music pirates and criminals. I'm sure the over the top restrictions had a lot to do with the demise of that format, which was technically very very good otherwise. I hope it's not going to be the same for their ereaders.
It seems Sony tends to shoot itself in the foot often. They do make high quality products and the new ereaders are no exception. I have a 650 and 950. They are very good. I have two current complaints filed with Sony Support with file numbers concerning the above matter as well as the fact the "Word Log" is overwritten after 100 dictionary words, and more importantly, there is no way to save the log to your computer as you can notes and drawings. The Sony rep. stated that Sony would respond to these issues by 12/15/2010 and I infer he is speaking of a software update. Certainly hope so. By the way the Sony Customer Service has very suddenly become super responsive for ereader inquiries ie. no long waits and very informed personnel.
jackinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
jackinca, I agree with you. I understand why there are limits to what you can highlight / export on a DRM protected book. However, 100 characters at a time is too restrictive. As you said sometimes it's not even a full sentence.

I also like the new Word Log, but I wish you could save it to a file.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert