Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
capslock
capslock began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Sony PRS-650 Lag

I have had my 650 for about two weeks now and I've only had it freeze once. Ever since it's worked like a charm.

Yesterday, however, something strange was happening. It would take a really long time for it to process requests; it would take 30-60s to turn a page at first, and then it got to the point where it would sometimes take 5 minutes.

If I managed to get to the home screen, there would be no lag (so I could navigate from different directories with no problem), but whenever I would open a pdf, the lag would start. I find this strange because I was working with PDFs that I have been using for the past week.

I have just turned it on since last night and so far I have been able to flip a few pages without overwhelming lag (but still much longer than usual) and even navigating through directories has lagged a little bit.

What could be the problem? I suspect a few things:
1) Perhaps I have too many PDFs uploaded on it; the night before, I did upload a lot more stuff... However, I read quite a lot since then with no problem and I have had more material on here before... That is, I don't think I should consider 100 PDFs totalling 1GB in space to be a lot.
2) I have been highlighting passages for a few PDFs, but I have not been overdoing it. Could something like this possibly underlie the problem?

So, what could be the problem and what possible solutions should I try to fix this?

Thanks in advance.
capslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
It's possible there may be a lag when highlighting PDFs. There was a discussion in this thread link a few days ago. You might want to check it out and see if it sounds similar to your problem.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93009
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
capslock
capslock began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
It's possible there may be a lag when highlighting PDFs. There was a discussion in this thread link a few days ago. You might want to check it out and see if it sounds similar to your problem.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93009
I had not been note-taking while this lag was occurring last night, but some of the description is similar (but I don't think there's any link, really). Having suspected it was an issue with having too many notes on the file in question, I deleted all of them; there was no improvement. I switched to reading PDFs with no notes and still had lag. Then I suspected that I may have too many PDFs, so I deleted many of them, and again no improvement.

Just a few minutes ago, I deleted the remainder of my notes on my reader (only about 20 one-word highlights, not much at all) and no luck.

I find this issue really weird; the PDFs in question are 300 or so pages long, but then problem persists for PDFs of 5-pages, too.
capslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Did you try a soft reset?

Ereaders don't have a lot of CPU power; it's possible a stray thread is running that needs shut down.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote