Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
radiomaster99
radiomaster99 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO ereader wi-fi
Windows will not recognize Kobo

Hello from Winnipeg..

Brand new Kobo, just bought from Chapters (Canada). Per the instructions in the quick-start guide, I plugged it into a PC (Vista). Windows did not detect the Kobo. I tried a different USB port on the computer, tried a different cable, and no luck. I connected my digital camera to the same computer using the same cable, and windows detected the camera immediately. When the Kobo is connected to the PC, the red charge light on the Kobo does come on.

I tried it on a second PC (Vista), with the identical results. Windows did not detect the Kobo. Assuming that the Kobo was defective, I exchanged it for a new one at Chapters. The new one is doing exactly the same thing as the old one.

Any suggestions? Do I actually have to do a software upgrade on a brand new Kobo to get it to work?

Thanks for any help.

Doug
radiomaster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Sorry I can't help. I just wanted to say that I have Windows Vista and my (original) Kobo has always been recognized, even with un-upgraded software.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 12:28 AM   #3
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I know this one!

If you have the WiFi Kobo, when you plug it in you'll see an option on the Kobo to either manage your library or continue reading. You have to choose the "manage library" option before Windows will see the device.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
radiomaster99
radiomaster99 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO ereader wi-fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
I know this one!

If you have the WiFi Kobo, when you plug it in you'll see an option on the Kobo to either manage your library or continue reading. You have to choose the "manage library" option before Windows will see the device.
THANK YOU!! I spoke with Kobo customer support last night; they were pleasant, but they had no answers. They suggest I return it and get another one (a THIRD one). So back I went to Chapters today, and got a third one. Back home, charge for three hours, and Windows still doesn't recognize. Now I read your post, try your suggestion, and Voila! It works! Thank you so much.

Doug
radiomaster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:44 PM   #5
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm glad it worked!

Maybe Kobo should let their customer support staff know about this. It seems silly that they're telling people to return the devices when the fix is a simple one.
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
tarak
tarak is a glorious beacon of lighttarak is a glorious beacon of lighttarak is a glorious beacon of lighttarak is a glorious beacon of lighttarak is a glorious beacon of lighttarak is a glorious beacon of lighttarak is a glorious beacon of lighttarak is a glorious beacon of lighttarak is a glorious beacon of lighttarak is a glorious beacon of lighttarak is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I know this one!

Thank you!!! This worked for me
tarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
reader mama
reader mama is a glorious beacon of lightreader mama is a glorious beacon of lightreader mama is a glorious beacon of lightreader mama is a glorious beacon of lightreader mama is a glorious beacon of lightreader mama is a glorious beacon of lightreader mama is a glorious beacon of lightreader mama is a glorious beacon of lightreader mama is a glorious beacon of lightreader mama is a glorious beacon of lightreader mama is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo wifi
THANK YOU!!!!

Quote:
I know this one!

Thanks so much for posting this!!! I just picked up my Kobo yesterday and was so disappointed when my computer wouldn't recognize it (thinking I had a lemon and would have to return it). I am going to try this as soon as I get home from work . Thanks again!!!
reader mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
Scutrgrl
Scutrgrl began at the beginning.

You saved me from insanity

Quote:
I know this one!

Thank you Sao!
Scutrgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:19 PM   #9
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Kobo Tech support needs to own a Kobo

Last edited by The Terminator; 12-29-2011 at 02:32 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
elizabeth32
elizabeth32 began at the beginning.

connecting to computer

Thanks so much! Why don't they just say this in the instructions! Got it working now.
Quote:
I know this one!

elizabeth32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #11
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
I understand that the on screen display is not clear enough for everybody, if so many people do not understand that an action is required on their part to get going. So my suggestion would be not only to update on support, but also the included documentation (obviously they all support people thought the on screen instructions were sufficient _and_ followed).
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #12
duggud
duggud began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
just to prove old "threads" are not forgotten - your advice still stands today ( Dec 2011). Had the same issue and found your reply and PC now sees my Kobo.........THANX
duggud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
This has almost always been the case, only in the first firmware in the K1 did it connect automatically.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:47 PM   #14
Suzanna
Living in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggud View Post
just to prove old "threads" are not forgotten - your advice still stands today ( Dec 2011). Had the same issue and found your reply and PC now sees my Kobo.........THANX
I'm glad I could be of help.

If people are still having this problem, something should be done to make it clear.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #15
spencerwells
spencerwells began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Still Relevant

Thank you. This advice is still relevant (May 2012). I was trying for ages to solve this problem and it was only finding this thread that saved me from melt down
spencerwells is offline   Reply With Quote