Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2007, 10:30 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
BookDesigner formatting Questions (Harry)

...and others, too. But I really love the way Harry is formatting his uploads. Thanks in advance to everyone who is uploading. Incredible work!

I've formatted a LOT of stuff (for myself, but before the Upload Section), but I'm still having trouble doing these things:

1) Where/how do you put the "by" (the word between the author and title)?

2) I STILL cannot get a picture right after the author (or title, depending on which ever one is last). What happens is that the picture is on the NEXT page. I've tried and tried. I've created the page break afte the pic, but it doesn't seem to be effective.

3) Are some of you having to reverse the author and title, just to get it the way you want. The "problem" is that the "Make Sony Reader" (as most know by now), does not allow one to elegantly switch and make the title the first thing one reads, so I've solved that by simply reversing it: For example, I put the title of the book in the AUTHOR field on the "Make Sony Reader" window.

Is that how you're doing it, Harry?

4) Last, is there a program that allows us to edit a BookDesigner uploaded file? (I'm thinking of one recent post that has spaces between the paragraphs.)

Thanks everyone,
Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib
...and others, too. But I really love the way Harry is formatting his uploads. Thanks in advance to everyone who is uploading. Incredible work!

I've formatted a LOT of stuff (for myself, but before the Upload Section), but I'm still having trouble doing these things:

1) Where/how do you put the "by" (the word between the author and title)?

2) I STILL cannot get a picture right after the author (or title, depending on which ever one is last). What happens is that the picture is on the NEXT page. I've tried and tried. I've created the page break afte the pic, but it doesn't seem to be effective.

3) Are some of you having to reverse the author and title, just to get it the way you want. The "problem" is that the "Make Sony Reader" (as most know by now), does not allow one to elegantly switch and make the title the first thing one reads, so I've solved that by simply reversing it: For example, I put the title of the book in the AUTHOR field on the "Make Sony Reader" window.

Is that how you're doing it, Harry?
The answer to all these questions is to write the title page yourself, don't let BD generate one for you. On the "Options" page of the "Make Sony Reader" dialog, check the "Skip cover page" and "Skip front page page" boxes. That way, BD won't generate a title page for you, and you can simply design one yourself, as I do. I describe, in detail, how I do this in my tutorial in the "Book Uploads" forum section.

When you do your own cover page, simply give the title the "Book Title" style, and the author the "Book Author" style - that way they come out right in the "Make Sony Reader" dialog.

Hope that helps!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2007, 11:42 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is no way to go back and edit the LRF once it's gerated without having the html0 file. If that was to be posted along with the books, then you'd be able to fix things like blank lines between paragraphs. I myself would prefer there not to be any excess blank lines. That's one reason I really don't like palm format books. They tend to be that way and it's (to me) annoying.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:42 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can't seem to generate an "insert blank page" in BookDesigner

I need a forced page break AFTER the photo.

Basically, I want the word "contents" and the 2 stories on its own page.

I took your suggestions, Harry. Thanks to all.

Please help!!
Old 04-23-2007, 02:53 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To insert a page break, use the 4th button up from the bottom in the leftmost column of the "Corrector" tool palette. You should see a line across the screen indicating a page break.

To make BD implement these page breaks, check the "User page breaks" box on the "Options" page of the "Make Sony Reader" dialog.
Advert
Old 04-23-2007, 05:27 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Unfortunately, that 4th button - creating a page break - DOES create a LINE indicating a page break, but NO page break occurs during the formatting.

I'm going to take the suggestion in another thread where you recommend (among others) suggest deleting everything and downloading V.4 and then the April 12 update copied OVER (?) the V.4

My page break option is called "misc" [and under that, checked is] "page breaks." Still doesn't work, so I'll try what I mention in the previous paragraph.

Thanks,
Don
Old 04-23-2007, 06:40 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, that's the best idea. There should be TWO page break boxes in the "Options" screen: "page breaks" (which makes "titles" force a page break), and "User page breaks" (which make the ones you add yourself work).