Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
Chunkygirl
Chunkygirl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Unhappy Have K1 owners been abandoned?

I was one of the first waves to buy a Kindle. And I probably sold at least 100 based on my recommendations to friends and family.

But now I feel like we've been put out to pasture. I love my K1. And I can understand if there aren't any updates. But I do wish we could have been included with some of the new games.

At the very least, it would be nice if Amazon would let us early adapters get some credit towards buying a K3.

/rant

I feel better now
Chunkygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
mmm........I"m not following your reasoning here.

I also had a K1 since June of 08. It did what it was supposed to do, download and read books.

Games weren't even an option then.

Like with phones, and every other electronic device, I don't expect any kind of 'credit' towards an upgrade. No one does this.

Not to mention the fact that when I bought my K1 it was $299, and the K3 is selling for $139!!!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
Chunkygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
mmm........I"m not following your reasoning here.

I also had a K1 since June of 08. It did what it was supposed to do, download and read books.

Games weren't even an option then.

Like with phones, and every other electronic device, I don't expect any kind of 'credit' towards an upgrade. No one does this.

Not to mention the fact that when I bought my K1 it was $299, and the K3 is selling for $139!!!
Were games an option when the K2 was first sold? Honest question - I just don't remember seeing anything about it.

I've actually almost always been able to get a credit on an upgrade with electronics. The computer store gives me one for being a good customer. So does my cell company. I bought my last TV at Best Buys using a 10% discount I got from being a repeat customer.

Though in looking around it seems I can sell my K1 fully loaded with books for a decent price. Perhaps I'll do that and buy a K3. It just would have been nice to get a little "customer appreciation" nod from Amazon.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Kindle. It just seems the early adapters who spent the big $$$ as you pointed out, don't get any love
Old 10-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I can't imagine that Amazon is deliberately withholding games from the K1; more likely the hardware just isn't up to it.

And I've never gotten a discount for anything electronic. I think you've just been lucky.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkygirl View Post
Were games an option when the K2 was first sold? Honest question - I just don't remember seeing anything about it.

I've actually almost always been able to get a credit on an upgrade with electronics. The computer store gives me one for being a good customer. So does my cell company. I bought my last TV at Best Buys using a 10% discount I got from being a repeat customer.

Though in looking around it seems I can sell my K1 fully loaded with books for a decent price. Perhaps I'll do that and buy a K3. It just would have been nice to get a little "customer appreciation" nod from Amazon.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Kindle. It just seems the early adapters who spent the big $$$ as you pointed out, don't get any love
Oh, by all means keep us posted if you do......I was wondering what to do with mine!
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
It would be nice although I never owned a K1. I don't quite understand yor reasoning, but I do understand your frustration. If companies gave what I would call loyalty credits I would have the latest Apple, Sony, toyota, etc products. However when a newer version of a product line comes out the older version is put on the back burner. That is just the way it is and probably the way it should be. Otherwise how is a company to make a fair profit. After all it isn't like Amazon, or Apple is having a hard time selling their products so why should they give credit for a product that they can't even make enough of for their supply chain.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I, too, was happy with my K1, except that I wanted collections. That was the only update I wish Amazon had given us loyal early adopters. I finally caved in and purchased a K3. Life is too short. I still have my K1. It is worth ~$90 at Green Earth Exchange, if I could be convinced to part with it. Probably a fair deal to get 50% of the new kindle version.

k4k
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
Chunkygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
I can't imagine that Amazon is deliberately withholding games from the K1; more likely the hardware just isn't up to it.
True. I was just moaning out loud

Grandma, I'm looking around Craigslist in my area (Atlanta) and see some K1s for $100+ I'd be more than happy to get $100 for it and then $139 for a new baby!

BTW, have you noticed your battery dying very quickly on the K1 (though you may not have used it in a while) connected to the internet? I can't stay on more than 30 minutes being active w/o completely running the battery down and it may be even less than that.

Last edited by Chunkygirl; 10-30-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You have to expect that at some point, devices no longer sold will stop being updated and what you have is what you have. If the K1 does what you want, there is no problem. If it doesn't, give it to someone or sell it and buy a reader that will do what you want. If you want a K3 instead of a K1, get a K3 and enjoy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:16 PM   #10
Chunkygirl

OK, I know they aren't just doing this for me because of my prefect looks but if any of you have a Dell you get special offers from them all the time to buy the "newest and greatest"! That's just one example but it's certainly not unheard of in the electronic world.

Yes, life's short and TBH, this is the first time I've been whiny about having a K1 instead of a K3 that was anything past drooling. I was just venting - I'm not going to picket or even think of leaving Amazon ever! In fact, I was just talking about how great the history feature is there since I can go back and see what sonic toothbrush I bought 5 years ago so I can order the correct replacement heads
Old 10-30-2010, 09:34 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
True. I was just moaning out loud

Grandma, I'm looking around Craigslist in my area (Atlanta) and see some K1s for $100+ I'd be more than happy to get $100 for it and then $139 for a new baby!

BTW, have you noticed your battery dying very quickly on the K1 (though you may not have used it in a while) connected to the internet? I can't stay on more than 30 minutes being active w/o completely running the battery down and it may be even less than that.
Yes......I only turned it on when I needed to download something.

Our poor babies are old, and need new loving homes. Do you still have the originial box it came in? I do......it has to be a classic by now.

I understand your "moaning".....just get the best price you can, (post here in the flea market section) and move forward.

I bought a new K3 and believe me, no matter how much you love your K1 you will think you've died and gone to heaven.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #12
Chunkygirl

Well I've ordered my K3. Personally I think y'all are bad influences

Q: Will my sample books rollover to K3 when I register it on my account?

Last edited by Chunkygirl; 10-30-2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Added a Q
Old 10-30-2010, 10:42 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Well I've ordered my K3. Personally I think y'all are bad influences

Q: Will my sample books rollover to K3 when I register it on my account?

When you get your K3, it should already be registered to you, and anything you've bought from Amazon will appear in the home screen under "archived items"

Just click to download......Welcome to the K3 club! Be sure to post back and let us know if you are as amazed as I was at the improvements.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #14
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
I couldn't get Microsoft to offer me a trade-in on my three 3.1 windows disks either !!
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #15
Chunkygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post
I couldn't get Microsoft to offer me a trade-in on my three 3.1 windows disks either !!
Bad example because I've always been able to upgrade from one Windows OS to the next one for less than if I bought the next one outright to put on a new HD