Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 02:24 AM   #1
davidlector
davidlector began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Organizing books on K3 with calibre or just something what works

Hey readers,

I just got K3 few days back and because I like to be organize I try to find a way how to organize books on K3.
So far I created collections on k3 which are manageable only from K3.
I also find calibre software to manage books on apple.
http://calibre-ebook.com/demo

What I would love to do is to create categories and metatags on calibre (or any other software) so my books are all organized, etc, and then transfer them to K3

Unfortunately calibre software only show's collections but I can't add, change or move books from it.
Does anyone have suggestion how to do that or how to manage books from computer and than transfer them to K3. Folders or collections would work great longest I can do it from comp.

please let me know
thank you all ;-)

Last edited by davidlector; 10-29-2010 at 02:30 AM.
davidlector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:37 AM   #2
fairy_dreams
fairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle 3 3G
You can use the tag system and then choose to see only books from a single tag. Then you can upload all of these books onto your K3.

You can also create a new metadata column on Calibre and if you click it, it should order them in alphabetical order (according to the entered data in the column). I haven't tried this (I use the tag system), but I think it should work like this:

Twilight.............Fluff
Breaking Dawn...Fluff
Eclipse..............Fluff
1984.................SciFi
The Passage.......SciFi
2010.................Zombie
Zombie Attack....Zombie
Save the World!..Zombie
My Brains!..........Zombie
fairy_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
davidlector

thanks,
I try to do tag system on k3 but when I try on kindle categorize by tag, it doesn't have this option, only :
most recent first
title
author
collections

IF I can just figure it organizing, that would be amazing ;-)
Old 10-29-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Unfortunately, the Kindle is very weak when it comes to organizing your books.

Do a search on collections, there are a few threads with tips and tricks. But there is not really any way to create/organize your collections off of the kindle. There was some home brew software out there that would let you do this (I think the thread is still fairly active in this forum), but I was unable to download it.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
I have been using the Kindle Collection Manager which can be found here:-

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=94261&page=16

If the registration isn't successful for you then post #226 has a megaupload link.

Also there is a bit of explanation at post 245 that summarises all the previous posts so you don't have to go back and read them all.

Brewjono.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
davidlector

thanks Brewjono and foghat,
I check the software but it is only for windows. I need something for mac