Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
New dilemma

Ok with the initial issues with the PRS 650, including my first one the local best buy has the 950, Im still waiting on my 2nd 650 from Sony but can return it and the lighted case. So should I give the 650 a second chance or go for the 950??

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Does the extra $100 ding your budget much and how much do you care about the (limited) wifi? If the answers are "not much" and "might be useful" then get the 950.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Budgets fine, dont need the wifi or 3G just want a reliable reader, and the 650 will work just dont like the problems people are having, i.e. screen DOA and turning into a brick if you dont shut it off properly.

JJ
Old 10-25-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Anyone know how to make the 950 Red like the 650???

JJ
Old 10-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Sony DOA? Hmm, never had a DOA problem with Sony's other products, how often do they send out dead products? What's the ratio of live to dead readers.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
950 is a fine model, especially if you read a lot of PDFs and need the screen real estate.

650 and 350 are definitely more portable... size format wise

As for 3g and wifi... well.. take it or leave it.. as long as I have handy access to the dictionary (which doesn't require wifi or 3g) I am okay.. as I rarely need it.
Side loading of books and impulse buying are other quirks.. but YMMV..

I believe the older 900 had a removeable battery vs the 600/650 and 300/350 do not offer that.

Larger screen is nice.. if you don't mind carrying it around!
tvuongpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Sony DOA? Hmm, never had a DOA problem with Sony's other products, how often do they send out dead products? What's the ratio of live to dead readers.
I dont know the ratio, However there have been a few on this forum that received 650's that only half the Screen worked, and a couple others that had 650's become unresponsive after disconnecting from computers might be user error but still an issue nonetheless. I fully understand there might be bugs early on with new models but software glitches are alot more tolerable than hardware failures.

JJ
Old 10-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
jackinca
Connoisseur
jackinca began at the beginning.

Device: sony 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuongpham View Post
950 is a fine model, especially if you read a lot of PDFs and need the screen real estate.

650 and 350 are definitely more portable... size format wise

As for 3g and wifi... well.. take it or leave it.. as long as I have handy access to the dictionary (which doesn't require wifi or 3g) I am okay.. as I rarely need it.
Side loading of books and impulse buying are other quirks.. but YMMV..

I believe the older 900 had a removeable battery vs the 600/650 and 300/350 do not offer that.

Larger screen is nice.. if you don't mind carrying it around!

The 900 has a removable battery which is a plus for an extra battery, and the 900 battery is the same battery as in the 950. The bad news is that the 950 manual warns users to let Sony remove the battery, but it does not indicate the reason for this warning. Probability is the battery is screwed down with tiny "phillips" screws that anyone can remove with eye glass style screwdriver.
jackinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Frankly, if I were that concerned that Sony blatantly ships batches of lemons in one product (650), I would be leery of going out and getting a related new product instead (950) from the exact same company.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

The 900 had a removable battery with a access door to get at it. The 950 does not, it is designed like a longer 650. The 900 came with a Case Logic padded case that was great for travelling and it came with a cover. The 950 comes with neither.

Compared to the 300 and 600, the 900 was a great improvement as it allowed ePub text to be fully justified, got rid of the annoying page number in the right margin, and had a better body design. Plus it came with 3G, though the usefulness of its 3G was limited.

But since the 350 and 650 also allow ePub text to be fully justified and don't have the annoying page number in the right margin, and since the 950 body design is merely a stretched version of the 650, much of the advantage is gone. It does have WiFi and 3G and a longer screen, but to be honest I did not like reading PDFs on my 900 or on my bigger Kindle DXG. PDFs on any eInk reader is a bad experience for me anyway.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #11
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Got the 950 it's charging will give a report soon as I can, can't do a comparison because my 650 is enroute.

JJ
Old 10-25-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Didn't take you long to make a decision.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:23 PM   #13
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: sony prs-650!
what do you think of the bigger screen vs less portability?
ebooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #14
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Didn't take you long to make a decision.
Well if history is any indication I tend to do that when I get my hands on something, the new car smell gets me everytime, However that gives me a week to test drive it until my 650 gets back and then I can make a more informed decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebooker View Post
what do you think of the bigger screen vs less portability?
I am really liking the new screen, but the OCD in me is not that thrilled with the dimensions. I would have prefered the extra inch to be distributed equally between the width and length of the screen but it may have messed with the text rendering who knows. It does appear to be alot taller, I will know more when I get a case on it and some pages under my belt.

JJ