Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
ivanatpr
ivanatpr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Wikipedia (offline) Dictionary? Available? Feasible?

Do anybody know if there is a premade wikipedia based dictionary out there that can be used as the kindle's default dictionary? In other words, a dictionary set up so that the definition is the wikipedia article for that word. Maybe just using the top X% most popular articles to keep the size down? Would this even work? Would the Kindle choke on a dictionary that large?

If it doesn't exist, and is in fact technically feasible, could anybody point me towards any information on the dictionary format that Kindle uses? I'm good enough at programatically manipulating text that I might be able to build it myself.
ivanatpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It would have to be a sub-set of Wikipedia, the whole thing is far too big to fit on a Kindle. Other than that, I'm afraid I can't help, but the data dumps meta page would probably be a good place to start.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The Mobipocket dictionary format is documented at Mobipocket.com:
http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...e=indexing.htm
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, kindle