Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
JellyFish
JellyFish doesn't litterJellyFish doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Thumbs up Why I Bought a Kindle 3 and Why I Stopped Using My iPad To Read eBooks

http://jimlynch.com/index.php/2010/1...o-read-ebooks/

Quote:
If you’ve read any of my previous columns, you know that I’ve always been a big fan of ebooks. I started out with a Kindle 2 and then proceeded to buy an iPad. I loved both of these devices for different reasons, but I finally decided to replace both of them for reading ebooks with something new: the Kindle 3.

This column is broken into two pages. On the first page I explain why I bought my Kindle 3 and on the second I share the reasons why I’ve found it to be better than my iPad for reading ebooks.
This guy bought a Kindle 3 and now isn't using his ipad for ebooks any more. I can't say I blame him. I can't imagine reading on an LCD screen for any length of time. Ick!

Not to bash the ipad, it's cool. I wouldn't use it for ebooks though unless I had no other alternative. That screen would just suck to stare at for hours on end.

I'd use the ipad for the web and games though.

Last edited by JellyFish; 10-19-2010 at 10:57 PM.
JellyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, jellyfish.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
JellyFish
JellyFish doesn't litterJellyFish doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Thank you grandma.

I've been here before, mainly as a lurker. Awesome info here though, it helps to read what other people are saying about various ereaders.
JellyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:15 AM   #4
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyFish View Post
http://jimlynch.com/index.php/2010/1...o-read-ebooks/

This guy bought a Kindle 3 and now isn't using his ipad for ebooks any more. I can't say I blame him. I can't imagine reading on an LCD screen for any length of time. Ick!

Not to bash the ipad, it's cool. I wouldn't use it for ebooks though unless I had no other alternative. That screen would just suck to stare at for hours on end.

I'd use the ipad for the web and games though.
Used the iPad for ereading, in between small ereaders, for a while. It just is too heavy to drag around all day, as I do with my Kindle. Reading was good though, but shiny. Yesterday I deleted all my books off the iPad.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:39 AM   #5
millydog
Connoisseur
millydog doesn't littermillydog doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone X, iPad Pro
I have a Kindle 2 and an iPad....and for novel reading, the Kindle 2 is better. I use the iPad for PDFs that are computer manuals and for colour children's books with my 4yo. I also use the iPad for email, web browsing and apps. So, I love my iPad....but I also love my Kindle and still find it better for novels.
BTW, I have ordered a Kindle 3 and expecting it in a few days.
millydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 05:48 AM   #6
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by millydog View Post
I have a Kindle 2 and an iPad....and for novel reading, the Kindle 2 is better. I use the iPad for PDFs that are computer manuals and for colour children's books with my 4yo. I also use the iPad for email, web browsing and apps. So, I love my iPad....but I also love my Kindle and still find it better for novels.
BTW, I have ordered a Kindle 3 and expecting it in a few days.
Yes, love the iPad as well. Is now part of my breakfast routine.
PDF on the Kindle is supported in theory, but a lot of PDF's are hard to read, so I read them on my iPad or convert them on Calibre or other.

But having an ereader before; this is the best yet. Very sturdy and light. It goes where I go.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I have no problems reading on my iPad. I stare @ 2 LCDs all day at work so an iPad is no problem. And I do everything there is to do on my iPad. I rarely use my laptop other than for school & "file management". Now I do have and read on my K3 because my kids often take over my iPad to play games. Some people say "well you can't read in the sun" wrong!!! Just turn up the brightness. Besides I live in Florida & don't want to read outside anyway.

My 2 cents.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
However they are both prorietary. This is the only thing I have against apple and kindle.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
However they are both prorietary. This is the only thing I have against apple and kindle.
So are printed books not in public domain. Only one publisher has the right to print them. You're locked into their format.

Last edited by JMikeD; 10-20-2010 at 10:36 AM.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Calibre. Problem solved.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #11
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
i used to go for the multi-purpose type of gadget (you know, phone+mp3player+video+camera.... +tank) but i realised that nothing can beat one instrument designed to do one thing right.
again, not bashing the iphone or ipad, they're awesome machines (and i used to read on my PC screen for a long time) but, paradoxically, life's much simpler with a dedicated phone, an mp3player, a camera, a recorder, an e-reader.... a tank
they all work marvelously and i get quality from all of them.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:46 AM   #12
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

Device: prs600
I bought a kindle 3 yesterday as I was getting headaches from reading novels on my iPad
cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:32 AM   #13
desertblues
Home for the moment

Too right. No need to choose for me though, as they both have an Oberoncover.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:17 AM   #14
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
No problem reading on the Ipad, though I do prefer e-ink. The problem is so many other distractions on it. Once I go through my email, my feeds and my financials, reading time is over.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:20 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyFish View Post
I can't imagine reading on an LCD screen for any length of time. Ick!
How do you suppose people read eBooks before eInk screens came along? I read eBooks for 20 odd years before the invention of eInk on a whole range of different handheld devices. No problem at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad or kindle