Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
NewDay
Connoisseur
NewDay doesn't litterNewDay doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Blank Pages in EPub when Viewed on iPad

O.K., so I'm formatting this book in InDesign CS5 and it looks fine, but when I do a test epub run, take it through my iTunes and upload to my iPad, it comes out with 7 or 8 blank pages at the end of nearly every chapter. What's going on?
NewDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
That could depend a lot on how the book is laid out in InDesign. I'd start with examining the internals of the epub to see if there are extraneous files (e.g. from export of header/footer frames?) that might explain it.

In any event, more information from you will result in more accurate diagnosis from the forum members.

Just sayin'
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
NewDay
Connoisseur

Thanks. I'll look at the xhtml files and see if I find anything I don't recognize.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
NewDay
Connoisseur

As a byproduct of my attempts to solve an internal link problem, I discovered that InDesign seems to have split my files upon export to ePub. This resulted in a huge number of xhtml files. Upon opening each of these files to find which one contained the link anchor I needed, I saw that a large number of them seem to be style sheet references and nothing more. They occur in clusters between chapters, in about the ratio I observe blank pages upon viewing the ePub in iBooks. Is this what's causing my blank page problem? Can I safely delete these xhtml files? How can I prevent their occurring in a subsequent ePub creation?
Old 10-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDay View Post
Can I safely delete these xhtml files?
Yes, but make sure you remove all references to them in your content.opf file and also, you will need to delete them and renumber the TOC.ncx file.

Quote:
How can I prevent their occurring in a subsequent ePub creation?
Don't use the CS5 heading split option. I always pre split my document into chapters (seperate ID files) and use the book feature. I've never had a problem with this method.

Example of what the ID book pallet will look like and what things need to be seperated.

Last edited by Adjust; 10-20-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
NewDay
Connoisseur

That sure looks better than the hash I've been looking at. I've tried to keep everything in one document with this project because Liz Castro (seemed to me, anyway) said CS5 has some issues if you booked separate chapters (files). Maybe I just read her wrong. Booking has always seemed to me a more elegant way to handle things; certainly it's easier to make corrections when everything's not one huge long document.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:08 AM   #7
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjust View Post
Don't use the CS5 heading split option. I always pre split my document into chapters (seperate ID files) and use the book feature. I've never had a problem with this method.
Yes, as long as there are no hyperlinks between chapters. Or if there are, be prepared to manually repair the links in an editor after export.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote