Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
sciurius
Enthusiast
sciurius doesn't littersciurius doesn't litter

Device: PC
Customizing for a touchscreen

Last year, my wife suffered a severe stroke and since that time she is almost unable to read books normally. Reading books was her biggest hobby.

After much experimenting we finally got some progress with the help of Calibre's ebook-viewer program. By carefully tweaking style sheets I can get results in terms of font, font size, line spacing, margins and so on; results that allow her to really read a real book for some 10-15 minutes, which is a great win already.

She uses a touchscreen PC (Tellus 3+ running Windows XP SP2) as a communications device and I would like to tweak the ebook-viewer a bit to make it more suitable for a touchscreen device. Note that (also due to the stroke) she is not able to click small buttons or use a stylus, and she cannot read standard dialogs. Also, the Tellus has no keyboard and no mouse.

The changes I'm considering are:
* start in full screen mode;
* show only a couple of relevant tool icons, and use bigger icons;
* add tool icons for partial page scrolling and section movement;
* add tool icon to exit.

I'm a seasoned programmer but I have no experience with python, so I kindly ask whether someone would be willing to spent a bit of time to help me accomplish this.

Thanks.
sciurius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You will need to edit the file

src/calibre/gui2/viewer/main.ui using Qt Designer to change the layout and the file

src/calibre/gui2/viewer/main.py to write the logic for your new actions.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
sciurius
Enthusiast
sciurius doesn't littersciurius doesn't litter

Device: PC
This is a patch against 0.7.23 implementing a command line option for ebook-viewer to start in fullscreen mode.
Feel free to incorporate it.
Attached Files
File Type: txt calibre-0.7.23-viewer-fullscreen.patch.txt (973 Bytes, 233 views)
sciurius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Merged, thanks.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote