Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Jay22
Jay22 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Conversion to epub with ecub/Calibre

Hi All
I am trying to convert a Mobipocket prc file created with Mobipocket Creator into an epub file. I am using Ecub to do this as I have been told that it can create a cleaner file than Calibre on its own, and so I want to compare them. Ecub uses Calibre for some of the conversion.

I have installed Ecub 1.11 on a windows system. I have also installed Calibre 0.7.23. Within ecub preferences/helpers tab, I have pointed to C:/Program Files/Calibre2 as the Calibre folder containing the conversion utilities. However, once I get to the step where I select the prc file that I want converted and then click next, the program shows an error notice that it cannot find the conversion file: C:\Program files\Calibre2\mobi2oeb“-o”. I have done a search of the Calibre installed files, and there is no file within it called mobi2oeb“-o”. Can anyone tell me how to point ecub to the Calibre conversion files in the versions I have installed, or do I need to use an earlier version of Calibre?

Thanks for your help

Jay22
Jay22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay22 View Post
Can anyone tell me how to point ecub to the Calibre conversion files in the versions I have installed, or do I need to use an earlier version of Calibre?
This is obviously a old front end for and old version of calibre. Don't waste our time, this is a calibre forum, if you want help find a ecub forum to ask your questions.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-09-2010 at 05:34 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 05:49 AM   #3
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
Hi All
I am trying to convert a Mobipocket prc file created with Mobipocket Creator into an epub file. I am using Ecub to do this as I have been told that it can create a cleaner file than Calibre on its own, and so I want to compare them. Ecub uses Calibre for some of the conversion.

I have installed Ecub 1.11 on a windows system. I have also installed Calibre 0.7.23. Within ecub preferences/helpers tab, I have pointed to C:/Program Files/Calibre2 as the Calibre folder containing the conversion utilities. However, once I get to the step where I select the prc file that I want converted and then click next, the program shows an error notice that it cannot find the conversion file: C:\Program files\Calibre2\mobi2oeb“-o”. I have done a search of the Calibre installed files, and there is no file within it called mobi2oeb“-o”. Can anyone tell me how to point ecub to the Calibre conversion files in the versions I have installed, or do I need to use an earlier version of Calibre?

Thanks for your help

Jay22
You actually need to look for "mobi2oeb" without the quotes and the -o. However, on my recent install, that file doesn't exist. I suspect it was replaced with a different file doing a similar job but with better results.

I don't know anything about ecub, but, calibre is an absolutely fantastic program these days and I'd be surprised if much formatting cruft ended up in any conversions.

If you want to continue this experiment for informational purposes, you might dig through old versions of calibre looking for mobi2oeb files, or google for the file name and see what useful information comes up.

Otherwise, you could reasonably use calibre as is now and be content knowing your epubs will be nicely formatted. I'm still dipping my toes into epub conversions but I've read on this forum that Sigil is "the" stand-alone program to use for precise epub editing.

Good luck!
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:27 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The mobi2oeb program was discontinued when the Calibre 0.7.x series was started. All conversion functionality has been subsumed into the ebook-convert program. Things have moved on a lot since then so I would suggest that it is probably not trying to get ecub to work with an old 0.6.x version of calibre.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
Jay22
Jay22 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks for your advice Gwen & itimpi. As you can gather, I am new to this. Based on what you have said, I will try to use Calibre on its own, although when I ran the epub it produced through epubcheck it came back with many errors (Although for the most part it looks ok in Calibre reader and Adobe Digital Editions). Thanks again.
Jay22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is that ePubcheck is not always right. It's too picky. And a file that passes can fail.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
when I ran the epub it produced through epubcheck it came back with many errors (Although for the most part it looks ok in Calibre reader and Adobe Digital Editions). Thanks again.
The errors that result from calibre are due to epubcheck not properly understanding the epub standard. Other errors are due to problems in the input, garbage in garbage out.

If passing epubcheck is important to you run epub-fix on your epub and most, if not all, of the errors calibre is responsible for will be corrected.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, conversion prc to epub, ecub