Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-20-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Case recommendation?

Hi folks,

I've now had my iLiad a few days, and I'd like to do something about protecting it during transit. I don't have buckets of money and I don't buy leather. From earlier forum posts, it sounds like the M-Edge non-leather case only has some kind of cardboard insert to protect the front screen. Is that true? I'd like something really rigid. How hard would it be to modify the case to make the front more rigid? And has anyone worked out how to access the pen easily while leaving the cover on? I use the pen a lot.

Alternatively, I could get the Sedia cushion case. I believe that also doesn't have rigid protection for the screen, but I'm thinking I could slide something rigid into the case on the screen side, perhaps with a bit of felt or cloth wrapping it to avoid scratches. Would there be room to do this? Can anyone who has bought one describe it a bit more?

Thanks!
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
I went the cheap route.

I went to my local discount store and picked up one of those day planners with removable binder rings. The binder rings are usually attached to some sort of board that slides into the outercover.

Remove the binder rings. Then I used one of the stiff plastic "paper wranglers" (used to prevent the pages from getting folded when you close the planner) and attached my iLiad to it with some velcro.

I then slid the "paper wranglers" into the slot where the binder rings used to go.

The end result was a canvas planner cover for my iLiad. Cost: About $10.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That'd leave the pocket on the other side available for holding some thing rigid and protective. Very elegant solution, rlauzon. I like it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:52 PM   #4
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
That'd leave the pocket on the other side available for holding some thing rigid and protective. Very elegant solution, rlauzon. I like it.
I got this one from my children as a birthday present. I think it a a nice one, gives reasonable protection. I drilled a hole in the "fin" of the pen and made a thread loop through it to get it out, when the iLiad is in the cover.

When opened, the front folds conveniently back behind the iLiad.

I feel it makes the iLiad a lot safer.

One is for sale at the moment: http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.p...ighlight=cover
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:47 PM   #5
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Well, the cover itself is rigid (and being canvas covered, relatively soft). But, yes, that does leave the pocket on the other side to put something in.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2007, 09:16 AM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon
I went the cheap route....
Excellent suggestion. Cheap is good.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:49 AM   #7
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

I have the iRex shoulder bag. I took the strap off, and I just put the case in my bag. It's nice looking, effective, and cheap.

I had an medge cover, but that made me realise I didn't want the iLiad always inside a folding cover. Too much fuss, too bulky.

The only thing about the iRex shoulder bag is that the hard front insert was starting to wear away the black finish on the bumps either end of the pagebar. So I just put a bit of bubblewrap in the bag...
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:16 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, in order to keep the €14.95 case from damaging your €649.00 device, you had to resort to the use of a ~€0.08 piece of bubble wrap. Oh, the irony.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #9
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

I know. At least it's kept the screen safe. So far!
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:31 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

I agree, that's the important thing. I just take my laughs where I can get them.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:00 PM   #11
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami
From earlier forum posts, it sounds like the M-Edge non-leather case only has some kind of cardboard insert to protect the front screen. Is that true? I'd like something really rigid. How hard would it be to modify the case to make the front more rigid? And has anyone worked out how to access the pen easily while leaving the cover on? I use the pen a lot.
I cut the front of a cardboard binder off, and inserted it into sleeve the M-Edge case. It's solid and rigid. It's black, so it blends in well. And it was cheap. I've had no problems with setting things on the case or carrying it in my laptop bag. I couldn't think of a more elegant solution.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote