Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 01:40 AM   #1
nielsk
nielsk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
After conversion to mobi words get always wrapped

I am very new to the whole ebook-game but googling for some hours didn't help me to fix my problem, therefore I hope I can find help here

I have a pdf and because of its layout, a pdf-to-text-conversion doesn't work at all (it has 2 columns + several text boxes). Therefore I used Apple Pages which has a new feature for creating epubs (because of the iBooks.app).
So I started copy and pasting and created the epub which looks fine in Calibre, Stanza etc.
But having a Kindle, I need to convert the book to mobi. For this I used Calibre (therefore I hope that this is the right sub-forum ).

When I open the mobi on the Kindle (or the Kindle Previewer) words get always wrapped. "senseless" becomes "senseles\n s" for example. There are only line wraps when there's an end for a paragraph.

When I open the mobi in Calibre, there are no line wraps (except for the paragraph-ends) and just long long lines. I tried fiddling in the css of the epub with the help of some correctly displayed files but this didn't help.

What could cause the problem?
nielsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:56 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Two column pdf isn't supported in Calibre. There is work underway to support it, but no telling when it will be ready.

Pages epub support has already been reported to be pretty buggy, and you may be seeing some effect from that. If you're just going to do it by copy/paste you could try Sigil instead.

I think others have reported that Mobipocket Creator can create mobi files directly from two column pdfs.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 02:14 AM   #3
nielsk

Thanks for the fast response

Doesn't solve my problem but I will try Sigil.
I try to sum up my problem in a sentence or two: What could be the reason that Calibre converts the epub in a way that there are no line-breaks anymore in the mobi? Is there some css-command in the epub or so that I could try to add to solve the problem?

I doubt that two-column-pdf-export would work with the pdfs I want to convert because they have really complex layouts. Not only two colums but text-boxes that are spread throughout the PDF, sometimes text on top or on the side of the pages that aren't needed in the epub.

An example would be the Eclipse Phase core rulebook (CC-licensed). I just need the "background"- and not the rule-sections of the book but even copy+paste is kind of a pain in the a**
Old 09-30-2010, 02:21 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsk View Post
Therefore I used Apple Pages which has a new feature for creating epubs (because of the iBooks.app).
So I started copy and pasting and created the epub which looks fine in Calibre, Stanza etc.
But having a Kindle, I need to convert the book to mobi. For this I used Calibre (therefore I hope that this is the right sub-forum ).
Pages has been reported as a source of odd conversions. Try a epub to epub conversion first and see whet the resultant epub looks like. If it looks fine then try the epub to mobi conversion. If it doesn't look so hot, open it in Sigil and fix it prior to converting to mobi.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:08 AM   #5
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsk View Post
Thanks for the fast response I try to sum up my problem in a sentence or two: What could be the reason that Calibre converts the epub in a way that there are no line-breaks anymore in the mobi? Is there some css-command in the epub or so that I could try to add to solve the problem?
Since you're making the files by hand using pages there could be any number of reasons. We'd need to look at the source code of the book you're creating, linking to the pdf doesn't help.

One reason I've seen that Calibre will do this is because the lines aren't wrapped in <p></p> tags. It's possible pages is using <pre> instead, which isn't really best practice.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
nielsk

Pages encloses paragraphes with divs instead of ps. I changed it but it didn't help.
Therefore I rework the thing with Sigil and will further on work with Sigil and not with Pages.