Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 04:57 AM   #1
Rameshpsarathy
Rameshpsarathy began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Question Hello..

Hi there Folks.. I am Ramesh from Chennai, India. I've just downloaded the Calibre ebook manager and I am absolutely stunned! It is really Awesome!!! Kudos to the creator!

I have one problem though..Very stupidly, without reading the manual first, I used the same directory where my ebooks are available when I installed Calibre first. I think this has resulted in a duplication because my disk space has gone down drastically.. Can someone please tell me how to set it right and get back the disk space?

Thanking you all in advance!

Cheers

Ramesh

By the way, I am not that much tech savvy and hence you may think this question is stupid.. it could be true too! LOL

Last edited by Rameshpsarathy; 09-26-2010 at 05:10 AM.
Rameshpsarathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:26 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Ramesh. I've used Calibre exclusively for the past couple of years. As you say 'awesome' library software. I'm afraid, though, the you'll have to wait a little for someone with more technical nous than I have. Just popped by to say hello to a new member. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 05:31 AM   #3
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
You may be able to 'Move' the library, leaving all the originals intact, as long as they didn't follow calibre'snaming scheme.

Press the Library icon, select a new directory, and make sure 'Move library' is selected.

Good luck!
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:36 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The easiest thing to do would be to click on the Library icon at the top of the Calibre screen and select the option to Move the library to a new folder. This will cause Calibre to move the files it know about to a new location leaving behind any files that are not part of its library.

Note that when you add books to Calibre it makes a copy of the book, leaving the original unchanged. Therefore I would expect your disk space to reduce as at this point you have 2 copies of every ebook file. It is up to you whether you want to keep the original or simply rely on the copy that is stored within Calibre and therefore delete the original (or perhaps move it to an archive so it can be kept offline).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:39 AM   #5
Rameshpsarathy

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Good to have your company, Ramesh. I've used Calibre exclusively for the past couple of years. As you say 'awesome' library software. I'm afraid, though, the you'll have to wait a little for someone with more technical nous than I have. Just popped by to say hello to a new member. Best wishes. Neil
Thank you so much Neil! That was so kind of ya!!!
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 05:40 AM   #6
Rameshpsarathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post
You may be able to 'Move' the library, leaving all the originals intact, as long as they didn't follow calibre'snaming scheme.

Press the Library icon, select a new directory, and make sure 'Move library' is selected.

Good luck!
Thank you so much Perkin..Let me try that out!
Old 09-26-2010, 05:41 AM   #7
Rameshpsarathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The easiest thing to do would be to click on the Library icon at the top of the Calibre screen and select the option to Move the library to a new folder. This will cause Calibre to move the files it know about to a new location leaving behind any files that are not part of its library.

Note that when you add books to Calibre it makes a copy of the book, leaving the original unchanged. Therefore I would expect your disk space to reduce as at this point you have 2 copies of every ebook file. It is up to you whether you want to keep the original or simply rely on the copy that is stored within Calibre and therefore delete the original (or perhaps move it to an archive so it can be kept offline).
Thank you Itimpi! I think my problem is solved with your and Perkin's suggestions and Neil's good will!!!
Old 09-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I'm surprised calibre, when using the Welcome Wizard that asks the user where to put the calibre library, doesn't post a warning to not use a folder containing books to be put on calibre (or something like that). The same warning (or a similar one) should also be posted if a user tries to add a book and save it into the same folder it came from. That would reduce the number of complaints of original libraries getting messed up by calibre.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I'm surprised calibre, when using the Welcome Wizard that asks the user where to put the calibre library, doesn't post a warning to not use a folder containing books to be put on calibre (or something like that). The same warning (or a similar one) should also be posted if a user tries to add a book and save it into the same folder it came from. That would reduce the number of complaints of original libraries getting messed up by calibre.
I wonder why it could not check the destination, if non-empty, for a the existence of metadata.db (existing library) and complain that the destination is not empty.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #10
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I wonder why it could not check the destination, if non-empty, for a the existence of metadata.db (existing library) and complain that the destination is not empty.
That should work for the Welcome Wizard. Some other way would be needed if the same file folder was being used as destination and source when adding books.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:20 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Because you can use the welcome wizard to point calibre to an existing library.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:45 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Because you can use the welcome wizard to point calibre to an existing library.
that is why I specified and does not contain "Metadata.db" , as we all know is "legit"
(my syntax above was a little mumbled)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #13
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

I wasn't suggesting blocking such actions, just a pop-up that would warn new users of the dangers of using the same folder for source and destination. Once warned, users could check off to not display the warning in the future.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I wasn't suggesting blocking such actions, just a pop-up that would warn new users of the dangers of using the same folder for source and destination. Once warned, users could check off to not display the warning in the future.
calibre will already prevent you from using save to disk to put files into yuor calibre library folder. Try it and see.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre will already prevent you from using save to disk to put files into yuor calibre library folder. Try it and see.
Since I wasn't referring to save to disk, I don't need to try it to believe you. I was referring to hopefully (yeah, I know, I'm dreaming) preventing new users, when first setting up calibre, from making the mistake of, when asked to designate a location for the calibre library, choosing the same folder their existing books are located, then complaining that "calibre" messed up their books and the way they had them organized. It was only dumb luck that kept me from making that mistake myself

Tags
calibre, disk space reduction, storage