Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Tempted... (or kindle vs pocketbook, vs sony)

I currently have a prs-600 and though I do love many of its features, I get increasingly frustrated by some aspects of it - yes the screen clarity is one of them, also the inability to load more dictionaries (I like reading in different languages) and the proper lack of international font support (always having to embed fonts in my greek epubs is a nuisance). The new prs-650 seems to solve the screen problem, and includes more dictionaries, but it still doesn't let you add your own, I believe. What if I'm not interested in the specific languages it offers?

I wanted my next ebook reader to be a pocketbook. I bought the pocketbook 360 for my mother, and I love its cuteness, but most of all its customizability. Fonts, directories, dictionaries, startup screens, skins, everything can be user defined. I absolutely love that, and don't understand why other devices don't let the user more freedom.

But. The pocketbook is still rather expensive, even if it's not the latest model any more, and out came the new kindle, alluringly cheap. I didn't want a kindle, because I didn't really want a wireless connection, with all the privacy compromises it brings. But then... But then the Kindle store seems to be the best in range and price, and the kindle offers the ability to load more dictionaries, if I understand correctly, and browse the internet (I keep wanting wikipedia access more and more while I'm reading). (I'm perfectly aware that I'm contradicting myself about wireless connectivity, by the way)

So, what do you think? Will I be disappointed if I go for the kindle instead of the pocketbook in terms of freedom? Can I really load my own dictionaries? Does it read greek? How about japanese? How about loading my own fonts? What are the things I can do with a pocketbook but not with a kindle, or vice versa?

And lastly, though it's been done to death, is it okay to load drm-liberated files on the kindle, or are its contents checked by the mothership? Please don't start about tinfoil hats, it's an honest concern.

Thanks for any insight.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, you really can add your own dictionaries.
It will definitely read Greek; I'm 90% sure it does Japanese and Chinese too.
I believe you can add your own font via a simple "hack", but I've never done it.
You can load any DRM-free Mobi book and no, Amazon don't care what you're reading.

The main thing you'll perhaps miss from the Pocketbook is folder support. The Kindle supports "collections", which are really tags, but not proper folders.

I have both a PB360 and a Kindle 3; I think the Kindle 3 is much the better reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Basically it comes down to the books.
The PB360 is a very enjoyable reader to own, but if the Amazon ebookstore is going to get all your business anyway, the K3 is probably a better fit for *your* needs. Both the Pocketbook and Kindle are very good readers and the advantages of the PB firmware are probably offset by the K3 screen and price.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Thanks for your answers.

@HarryT: What makes you say that the kindle is the better reader? Is it more stable? Is the screen better? What is it that makes it better in your opinion?

@fjtorres: Where I get my books is not really an issue, as long as I can get rid of the DRM. It's mostly price, and screen quality that make me think of the kindle instead of the pocketbook, but I'm really not sure.

I'm really torn here. I can't understand why all readers other than the pocketbook ones seem to want to limit your choices. Why would kindle need to be hacked so that you can add fonts or screensavers? Why would sony not give you the option to load your own dictionaries? (or read in your own language?)

So, still undecided. I'll probably just wait a little more and see. Hopefully the pocketbook price will drop a little more, or it will be updated with a pearl screen?
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
The new PB models won't have a Pearl screen, since Amazon and Sony have the exclusive for them. However, I'm really dying to see information on prices, particularly for the bigger models.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert