Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
Free (nook) - The Winds of Khalakovo - Bradley P. Beaulieu [Fantasy]

B&Ns Free Friday book is from Night Shade Books this week

The Winds of Khalakovo - Bradley P. Beaulieu B&N ($7.99 Kindle)

Among inhospitable and unforgiving seas stands Khalakovo, a mountainous archipelago of seven islands, its prominent eyrie stretching a thousand feet into the sky. Serviced by windships bearing goods and dignitaries, Khalakovo's eyrie stands at the crossroads of world trade. But all is not well in Khalakovo. Conflict has erupted between the ruling Landed, the indigenous Aramahn, and the fanatical Maharraht, and a wasting disease has grown rampant over the past decade. Now, Khalakovo is to play host to the Nine Dukes, a meeting which will weigh heavily upon Khalakovo's future. When an elemental spirit attacks an incoming windship, murdering the Grand Duke and his retinue, Prince Nikandr, heir to the scepter of Khalakovo, is tasked with finding the child prodigy believed to be behind the summoning. However, Nikandr discovers that the boy is an autistic savant who may hold the key to lifting the blight that has been sweeping the islands. Can the Dukes, thirsty for revenge, be held at bay? Can Khalakovo be saved? The elusive answer drifts upon the Winds of Khalakovo...
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
B&N is still asking for my cc info even though it's free...?
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
B&N is still asking for my cc info even though it's free...?
Their DRM is based on your CC number.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Their DRM is based on your CC number.
darn. i feel hesitant to do so.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Use a card that lets you create a one-use number (or buy a card in a store that is Visa/MC brand and can be registered to get an address associated with it).

Looks like more companies will be embedding your CC# and name into books as part of their DRM, not just B&N, as time goes on.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 11:11 PM   #6
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Use a card that lets you create a one-use number (or buy a card in a store that is Visa/MC brand and can be registered to get an address associated with it).

Looks like more companies will be embedding your CC# and name into books as part of their DRM, not just B&N, as time goes on.
you mean kind of a disposable card? o.o i guess i just don't trust B&N
Old 05-28-2011, 12:13 AM   #7
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
I've never paid for anything at B&N, though I've downloaded 65 free books from there to date, and my credit card has never been touched ... if this helps
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:14 AM   #8
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
I've never paid for anything at B&N, though I've downloaded 65 free books from there to date, and my credit card has never been touched ... if this helps
thanks it's just that i don't have my own cc and will be using my sister's, but i guess i can quickly deregister the card as soon as i get the book
Old 05-28-2011, 12:34 AM   #9
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
thanks it's just that i don't have my own cc and will be using my sister's, but i guess i can quickly deregister the card as soon as i get the book
A lot of people do. You do have to have one on file to purchase or download a book, though.

I think CitiCard lets you create a one-use or limited use number, which can be useful for this type of use, but those "disposable" cards in stores work just as well (pre-paid cards; be sure to use them up, as some have fees that deplete the balance over time, otherwise).

Also, some rewards programs give you pre-loaded credit cards (my phone company has those or amazon gift cards, which is what I choose, these days).
Old 05-28-2011, 02:13 AM   #10
wyndslash
Wizard

@koland: thanks for the info i'll have to ask if they have that sort of thing here. i don't think i've seen it advertised yet.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
koland
Grand Sorcerer

You may need one with a US address/bank - I suspect you can buy them on ebay (investigate to see if you can find a reasonably safe vendor) or someplace like that. Here, you can get them in most grocery stores, it seems (and Sam's Club, etc).