Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
War and Peace

It has been quite a few years since I read War and Peace, probably will again soon, now that my Kindle is coming. There are 8 different war and peace books listed on Kindle.

Which to download? I downloaded the $0.00 one, but have no way of knowing if I should have. A couple look to be abridged based on file size, but none specifically state so. One that can be previewed has the terrible habit of having a lot of the spoken text in French (where appropriate) footnoted with English translation.

Can anyone point me to a good one??
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
How about this one, from here?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16794
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
One that can be previewed has the terrible habit of having a lot of the spoken text in French (where appropriate) footnoted with English translation.
There IS quite a lot of spoken French in "War and Peace", and I don't think I've ever seen an edition which translates it other than in footnotes. It's just the way that the book is.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
I had to read it in Russian at school. Yes, the French is there in the original (no translation given by Leo!). By the way, read some interesting info about the title here.

Last edited by osnova; 12-21-2009 at 01:17 PM.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Thanks a bunch. Unfortunately I loaded it into Calibre and it did not like it at all. It read it in, retrieved metadata and converted to mobi. But when I tried the viewer it choked everytime. It would read in, show the cover, but when you tried to go to a page or table of contents it would give you a message 'reading flow data' then crash.

Oh well, the Amazon one works. Thanks again. I'd like to know what went wrong?
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Drofgnal,

I've not seen any of the Kindle editions of War and Peace, but I see that the version on Project Gutenberg (translated by Louise Maude) does indeed have the French in the body of the text, with the English in footnotes (immediately below the paragraph to which they refer). There are some exceptions -- I suppose in cases where the translator considers the French would be obvious to an English speaker -- but for most part it follows the footnote pattern.

That said, I also have the more modern Rosemary Edmonds translation, and that appears not to have any such footnotes. In fact, as far as I can see at a quick glance, most of the French has been rendered in English in the body of the text.

Unfortunately, there's probably no way to know if that particular edition is available for the Kindle, given that the product descriptions don't include the translator's name. I suspect it isn't, given the relatively low prices and the fact that the Edmonds translation is still in copyright.

Hope you find what you are looking for.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #7
drofgnal
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There IS quite a lot of spoken French in "War and Peace", and I don't think I've ever seen an edition which translates it other than in footnotes. It's just the way that the book is.
They vary by the amount of French. The one I previewed on Amazon has the entire first paragraph spoken by Anna Pavlovna in French. The Signet classics paperback only has 'Eh bien, mon prince, ' the rest in English. I don't mind the simple phrases in French but entire paragraphs gets old.

The no cost one here on Amazon actually has no French, even the simple phrases are in English. That too is slightly disappointing as those simple lead-in phrases spoken in French say something about the nature of the character in the book, French being spoken by the Russian elite of the time.

Here is the link to the Amazon one for $0.00.

http://www.amazon.com/War-and-Peace-...1425747&sr=1-2

it seemingly navigates fairly well on my iphone. (Kindle arrives via ups today!!)

I did discover the one corresponding to the Signet Classics paperback is also available on amazon for Kindle (for 8.76) (Translation by Ann Dunnigan). I may order that one when I finally embark as that is the translation I've read before with the minimal amount of lead in French phrases for effect.

Thanks to all.