Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 05-12-2020, 11:47 PM   #1
Pixiestyxs
Pixiestyxs began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Issues with Read status

iPad Version 2.0.4

When I click read and send to a reader app, CC is no longer automatically marking the book as Read in CC. I have to come back to the app after I’m done with the book, hoping that the app hasn’t reset and I have to hunt for the book again since it sends me back to the top of the list, and manually select Yes, under the have you read this book prompt. Older versions did this automatically.

Also, the book list in neither list or grid displays anything when I manually select no under the have you read this book prompt. Older versions displayed an x on the book list to correspond with this selection. It made it very easy to see what I had already gone in and marked for that book instead of having to waste clicks by opening the book only to find that I’d marked it no.
Pixiestyxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:19 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
read is such a vague term. is it there to indicate reading has begun i.e. book has been sent to reader. [ which seems a useless feature to me - if I want to know that I can just look in the reader ?

or the past tense read, as in book has been finished ( there is no obvious way for CC to know that ? )
the "read" button is a command: begin or resume the reading process ?

in normal english " I read a book" refers to something done in the past & usually means "I completed it", " i am reading a book" means its in progress .

I'd be mildly interested to know how it is intended to work and whether others find it useful

maybe that field should be renamed as "opened" ?

Last edited by stumped; 05-13-2020 at 07:21 AM.
stumped is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
Pixiestyxs

Verbiage aside, the functionality to auto update that field in CC is broken. It should update to Yes as it did before when I choose to send the book to a reader app.

Now, the button to send to a reader app could probably stand to have its verbiage changed. But when you have the custom Read column (as in I past tense read this book) in calibre, that is set up to be synced to it, the verbiage works.

The only reason I use CC is because it autosyncs to that custom column so I can keep track of what I've read in calibre, and quickly remove those books from CC when I update what's on my ipad.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:36 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
ok. i asked partly because I have seen that " Read" thing in the current beta CC and was thinking of trying it
so you are saying that what used to happen is the first time you tapped the read button, you got a Yes inserted into the read value, but that's now broken?
i did notice that nothing showed under my read filter, [ confirming your bug report] but I had blamed that on having my own custom column also called read which could be confusing things. So I renamed mine to reading, breaking view manager plug in in the process & have just got that fixed.

lets see what new developers have to say..
stumped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:16 PM   #5
PMrev
Zealot
PMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiestyxs View Post
Verbiage aside, the functionality to auto update that field in CC is broken. It should update to Yes as it did before when I choose to send the book to a reader app.

Now, the button to send to a reader app could probably stand to have its verbiage changed. But when you have the custom Read column (as in I past tense read this book) in calibre, that is set up to be synced to it, the verbiage works.

The only reason I use CC is because it autosyncs to that custom column so I can keep track of what I've read in calibre, and quickly remove those books from CC when I update what's on my ipad.
Hey,

I am currently testing this and my functionality is updating the book in my CC library to Read = Yes when I open in a reader (Books / Kindle App).

Do you have this setting set to enabled?

Not sure if my screenshot is attached but go to settings > Marking Books Read (Section) > Update Date Read when read
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9DFD673C8A85-1.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	179226  
PMrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2020, 04:16 PM   #6
Pixiestyxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMrev View Post
Hey,

I am currently testing this and my functionality is updating the book in my CC library to Read = Yes when I open in a reader (Books / Kindle App).

Do you have this setting set to enabled?

Not sure if my screenshot is attached but go to settings > Marking Books Read (Section) > Update Date Read when read
I did check my settings and yes I do have that option selected. I haven't made any settings changes since I initially set CC up. I have the #read column sync setting set up, but have never had the date read column set up as that's not a column I need.

I have an iPad Air 2 on ios 13.4 if that helps.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:45 PM   #7
PMrev
Zealot
PMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
I did check my settings and yes I do have that option selected. I haven't made any settings changes since I initially set CC up. I have the #read column sync setting set up, but have never had the date read column set up as that's not a column I need.

I have an iPad Air 2 on ios 13.4 if that helps.
What's your reader app?
Old 05-13-2020, 07:07 PM   #8
Pixiestyxs

My main reader app is Marvin, but I tried it with the Apple Books app and it didn't work either.

I closed out of CC completely, removing it from memory, and when I came back in the app updated the Read flag on the books I'd been trying with. So it seems like the UI isn't getting a real time update when I copy the books to the reader app.

Since I've cleared out the app and come back in, it still isn't updating in real time on the book details, but when I navigate back to the list, it is updating the read flag there and then back on the book details if I go back in.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:40 PM   #9
PMrev
Zealot

Quote:
My main reader app is Marvin, but I tried it with the Apple Books app and it didn't work either.

I closed out of CC completely, removing it from memory, and when I came back in the app updated the Read flag on the books I'd been trying with. So it seems like the UI isn't getting a real time update when I copy the books to the reader app.

Since I've cleared out the app and come back in, it still isn't updating in real time on the book details, but when I navigate back to the list, it is updating the read flag there and then back on the book details if I go back in.
So the flow is:

Book Detail > Read > In Marvin > Back to Book Detail > No Read > Goes to list or thumbnail view > Shows its read
Old 05-13-2020, 08:00 PM   #10
Pixiestyxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMrev View Post
So the flow is:

Book Detail > Read > In Marvin > Back to Book Detail > No Read > Goes to list or thumbnail view > Shows its read
Yep that's it exactly. Happens every time that way. And just to be sure I've now tried with Apple Books, Kindle and MapleRead CX, and they all follow the same flow.