Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #31
Ronzzz
Ronzzz began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Finding the battery is easy. Now, replacing it in my reader is the scary thing. I found detailed instructions a while back for how to do this. "Take care" was the term used many times in the procedure. IOW, this is difficult for the average person. And, I am a former technician. And, yes, you can send it to Sony for service. Shipping and everything was $280.00, the price of a new reader. My opinion: A huge oversight for Sony. Or, was it intentional?????
Ronzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You might be able to get a refurbished unit from Sony for a lot less.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2009, 07:16 AM   #33
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
There's a teardown of the 505 that Igorsk posted here. To replace the battery you will only need to go up to step 9.

Frankly, it all looks pretty straight-forward. Only one ZIF-connector needs to be detached and the battery itself has a proper connector. If you can replace the battery in an iPod you should have no difficulty changing this one. I'd recommend using a thin plastic spudger to work off the top and bottom panels so you don't scratch the finish.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #34
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
I'd recommend using a thin plastic spudger to work off the top and bottom panels so you don't scratch the finish.
What's a spudger? That's a word I'm not familiar with and isn't in my dictionary.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:15 AM   #35
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What's a spudger? That's a word I'm not familiar with and isn't in my dictionary.

BOb
It's just a thin tool used for prying apart cases that are held together by clips. It's cheap and useful for anyone who needs to open consumer electronics items or laptops.

Here's an example.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2009, 07:31 AM   #36
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
There's a teardown of the 505 that Igorsk posted here. To replace the battery you will only need to go up to step 9.

Frankly, it all looks pretty straight-forward. Only one ZIF-connector needs to be detached and the battery itself has a proper connector. If you can replace the battery in an iPod you should have no difficulty changing this one. I'd recommend using a thin plastic spudger to work off the top and bottom panels so you don't scratch the finish.
Interesting. Not that I'm gonna try this, even being a former electronics tech, but definitely interesting.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:38 AM   #37
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And then there is the actual service manual as linked in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26279
Old 10-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #38
Ronzzz
Ronzzz began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
I inquired about battery replacement a year ago. I got the impression Sony didn't want to to talk about it. Finally got an answer. Send it in for a new battery for about $275.00! Obviously that is not an option. So, I made inquiries on this board and elsewhere. Mostly, I was ignored. So, I bought a PRS505 manual with thoughts of replacing it myself. My opinion is that it is doable. But, it is risky!! I found one step-by-step method. It was downright scary! They recommended new insulators, spacers, etc., etc.

So, I am of the impression that Sony wants to 'keep it quiet.' I have really enjoyed my reader. I have about 60 books stored on it. But, had I known about the battery up front, I would not have bought it!!!!!
Ronzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #39
kennyc

It's planned obsolescence. They expect something new/better/improved to replace it before the battery dies.....

I kinda agree with the rate of change of electronics these days.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:14 AM   #40
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
I totally agree. If I had known the battery life was not 1/5 the touted 7000 pages and that the battery can't really be replaced unless you work in the Sony factory and have done 1100 of them, then I woul never have bought one. Not having a pop-out battery like many other small electronic devices is a scam in my book. Call it what you want that is what I believe it is.

I love my reader but it will be my last.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #41
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
I totally agree. If I had known the battery life was not 1/5 the touted 7000 pages and that the battery can't really be replaced unless you work in the Sony factory and have done 1100 of them, then I woul never have bought one. Not having a pop-out battery like many other small electronic devices is a scam in my book. Call it what you want that is what I believe it is.

I love my reader but it will be my last.
You don't need to work in a SOny factory and "have done 1100 of them" to replace the battery. I've taken my 500 apart just for fun, and the battery is sitting right there, easily replaceable. If you are afraid to touch it, I'm sure you have a semi-competent friend somewhere who could do it easily. For reference, my 2.5-year-old 500 is still going strong, with 2 weeks between charges and daily use. The 505 (almost 2 years old) is still going strong but semi-retired now since I got a 300.

But whatever. Some of us learn what we can do to make things work when necessary, and some just gripe.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #42
kennyc

Yep, I'm with DRMoze. I'm sure there's going to be a much better reader I'm going to want to purchase well before my battery dies. I've got a Sony Clie that is maybe 5 years old with a built in battery and it's still going strong. To each his own.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yep, I'm with DRMoze. I'm sure there's going to be a much better reader I'm going to want to purchase well before my battery dies. I've got a Sony Clie that is maybe 5 years old with a built in battery and it's still going strong. To each his own.
It's a silly thing to complain about after buying a device. If someone wants a device with a user-replaceable battery, there are plenty to choose from. Why buy a Sony at all if you want a device with a replaceable battery?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:08 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's a silly thing to complain about after buying a device. If someone wants a device with a user-replaceable battery, there are plenty to choose from. Why buy a Sony at all if you want a device with a replaceable battery?
Supposedly, the PRS-900 will have a user replaceable battery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:10 PM   #45
kiter
kiter began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505sc
batteries are replaceable for about 20.00 just don't know how to open the case on the prs 505
kiter is offline   Reply With Quote