Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That is a really good idea to measure the battery to try to find a replacement that's cheaper.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:07 PM   #17
AlexM
AlexM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 (Have 2)
Thanks for the reply. The Kindle replacement battery is around $19.00, so I tend to disagree that $70 for a Sony battery is "reasonable".
AlexM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2008, 02:11 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
On the other hand, a CyBook Gen3 battery is about $62. "Reasonableness" is all in the eye of the beholder. A Kindle battery only costs $19? Wow - that is cheap!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:37 AM   #19
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
well, my extra batteries for my Nokia N800 were $30ish each for OEM genuine Nokia batteries (not knock-off's) and these are the very common BP-5L LI-ON Poly batteries.

So, the $70ish for the Sony battery is close to reasonable. Perhaps some place somewhere sells them for less but until Sony drops the cost to replace the battery the $70 will remain a bargain by comparison.

The cost is simply how Sony does business. Supposedly the battery on my nx73v was not user replaceable and Sony wanted about $200 to replace it...found a new genuine Sony OEM for something like $15.

Remember Sony does almost no repair work themselves. They contract with "authorized" service centers and setup fixed fee schedules. So, basically people pay Sony a cut as well as the repair center a cut...and since everyone works on a percentage these days we get to pay a mark up on a mark up...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:04 AM   #20
badspell68
Scifi is a Digital World
badspell68 doesn't litterbadspell68 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
So, do we have a legitimate replacement battery for the Sony PRS-500 here? Is this something that will actually work or speculation?
badspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2008, 10:42 AM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by badspell68 View Post
So, do we have a legitimate replacement battery for the Sony PRS-500 here? Is this something that will actually work or speculation?
Well, going on the fact that Sony is selling this one as a replacement, I'm going to go waaaay out on a limb here and say "yes."
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:00 AM   #22
badspell68
Scifi is a Digital World
badspell68 doesn't litterbadspell68 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
So, to recap...What battery will work as a replacement for the PRS-500?
badspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:39 AM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Sony is listing another part number as a PRS500 battery replacement. It's $82. (we do know that there's no functional difference between the PRS500 and the PRS500U2 -- the U2 was a marketing package change, not a "real" one)

I thought we'd established that both the 500 and 505 used the same battery, but it's apparently possible that they're different.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #24
netbookbattery
netbookbattery began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
That's incredible! The cost for such li-Polymer rechargeable battery is at most USD4.00. The Kindle battery is just USD19 on its site. Sony always grab big money from its accessories. Kindle is great
netbookbattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #25
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
that sony-reader-prs-505-emergency-aa-battery-extender is a good thing.
I have one for my palmone lifedrive. With 4 AA Batteries I can charge my PDA 4 to 6 times, depending on the quality of the batteries.
Bought it three years ago on e-bay and will buy this one for the 505 for sure!
My PDA charges within 30 minutes and I can use it during charging.

In that link they show the wrong adapter! The one they have looks to me like sony-erikson cell phone adapter.

take care

harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
From BatteryShip.com you can get a new battery for the 500 or 505. The cost is $27.95 for one. If you purchase 2 you ge a 10% discount and the shipping is no more for 2 then for 1. Now does anyone have directions on opening the 505?

http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/ht...83212113864300
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #27
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Now does anyone have directions on opening the 505?
This thread gives links and refers in words to this thread containing the 505 service manual.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #28
allon_pan
allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 505
you can have the 505 battery info here:
http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/ht...Reader+PRS-505

the model type is 323450-A7T, cost about 5 US$ in China. Following is an working instruction of battery replacement (with pics), sorry it's in Chinese

http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthre...&extra=&page=1
allon_pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #29
Ronzzz
Ronzzz began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
I got the same problem! Got about $800.00 worth of books stored, and the battery is getting weak. Sony does not like to comment on this. I wonder is it was part of the design to ensure on-going revenue. I am real angry about it. But, let the buyer beware!!
I may try to replace it myself. It looks risky, but there are not any options that I can see!
Ronzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #30
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
The phrase "planned obsolescence" is particularly relevant here, I believe.
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote