Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-14-2023, 10:22 AM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Aura H2O for about 7 years and the Libra 2 and no creaking back panel. I've had a Reader since 2006 and not a single one has a loose or creaking back panel.
Of the 11 ereaders I‘ve used, only one (Kindle 4) had a loose back. (And yeah, I used a case with that one - the back was loose since I got it, though, and using a case or not had nothing to do with the issue). However, not all people have been so lucky. There have been plenty of complaints about loose backs over the years.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 11:01 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is the first time reading of a Kobo with a loose back. Did this loose back come that way or did it happen later on?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2023, 12:32 PM   #18
ausGeoff
Enthusiast
ausGeoff began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Cool Loose case niggle

My thanks to everyone who's responded to my question about the loose reader back. I guess it's certainly not a a 'major' disaster, rather just one of those things that catches your attention occasionally.

It's probably too much of a hassle to order a replacement, and as a few folks have said, another one could show the same issue.

I don't use a case simply because the slim profile and the light weight of the reader is one of its main attractions in my opinion; why bulk it up with a case?

I guess I'm just a little disappointed that a relatively expensive reader (speaking as an aged pensioner) shows a defect that simply shouldn't be present within a device sold by a large international company such as Rakuten.

Apart from this niggle, I'm more than happy with the reader's technical performance, coupled with its ease of use and range of available books.
ausGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 03:34 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausGeoff View Post
My thanks to everyone who's responded to my question about the loose reader back. I guess it's certainly not a a 'major' disaster, rather just one of those things that catches your attention occasionally.

It's probably too much of a hassle to order a replacement, and as a few folks have said, another one could show the same issue.

I don't use a case simply because the slim profile and the light weight of the reader is one of its main attractions in my opinion; why bulk it up with a case?

I guess I'm just a little disappointed that a relatively expensive reader (speaking as an aged pensioner) shows a defect that simply shouldn't be present within a device sold by a large international company such as Rakuten.

Apart from this niggle, I'm more than happy with the reader's technical performance, coupled with its ease of use and range of available books.
A case would prevent the cover from becoming loose. And you should get it replaced under warranty and also get a case. The case makes no difference to me in the weight. I don't notice the additional weight of the case.
Old 08-15-2023, 05:42 AM   #20
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
If you were to be considering a case and the slim profile is more important than the slight weight difference for you: I heartily rec the Gecko case. I'm quite weight-sensitive with readers but the Libra is so well balanced that I don't really notice it. Previous post with photos here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=344580
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2023, 07:28 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If you are looking for a slim lightweight case, I highly recommend kwmobile cases.

Cases from kwmobile are quite reliable for sleep/wake. I have one that I've had for about 6-7 years. No problem at all.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NVYDYM3

Old 08-15-2023, 07:35 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
If you were to be considering a case and the slim profile is more important than the slight weight difference for you: I heartily rec the Gecko case. I'm quite weight-sensitive with readers but the Libra is so well balanced that I don't really notice it. Previous post with photos here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=344580
Are there any other colors besides black and petrol?
Old 08-15-2023, 08:04 AM   #23
tartanpion
Enthusiast
tartanpion began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra 2
I have use blu tack. No crack after.
tartanpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 12:27 PM   #24
ausGeoff
Enthusiast
ausGeoff began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thanks again for the further replies. Much appreciated.

I've decided to simply ignore the loose/creaking back panel and just move on. It obviously doesn't affect the function of the reader, so at the end of the day it's no big deal I guess. Maybe I'm a little bit OCD ha ha.
ausGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 04:13 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks again for the further replies. Much appreciated.

I've decided to simply ignore the loose/creaking back panel and just move on. It obviously doesn't affect the function of the reader, so at the end of the day it's no big deal I guess. Maybe I'm a little bit OCD ha ha.
But it can get worse if you are not using a cover. So go get a cover.
Old 08-16-2023, 02:00 PM   #26
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
A case would prevent the cover from becoming loose. And you should get it replaced under warranty and also get a case. The case makes no difference to me in the weight. I don't notice the additional weight of the case.
You really need to stop posting your personal opinions as scientific fact. It's beyond tiresome.
Quote:
You should be used a case and that would not have happened.
Not so. There is no proof.
Quote:
But it can get worse if you are not using a cover. So go get a cover.
Again, your opinion and not a directive for anyone else.
Old 08-17-2023, 08:11 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
You really need to stop posting your personal opinions as scientific fact. It's beyond tiresome.

Not so. There is no proof.
Again, your opinion and not a directive for anyone else.
It's not an opinion. It's a fact. If the cover isn't loose to start with, a case will keep it from becoming loose. That's not to say that by not using a case, the back of the Reader will become loose. But a case will help prevent that from happening.

Tags
case, kobo, libra2