Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-17-2019, 06:48 PM   #1
jbooker
jbooker began at the beginning.

Device: none
how to get ebook from kindle for pc app into calibre

hi folks, can anyone help? I want to delete my kindle for pc app, it has one ebook in it, that I bought from amazon. will I be able to move it to caliber? its a reallky good book. or can I just send it again from my amazon account to caliber? any help would be appreciated.
jbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:52 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
You can't move it to Calibre and remove DRM once you've removed Kindle for PC. I believe deDRM uses the Kindle for PC program as part of it's removal process.

The way I do it is to use an old version of Kindle for PC that can't handle KFX files so Amazon sends it the older formats which convert easily in Calibre. You can find the old versions with google, searching for "old versions of Kindle for PC". Uninstall the one you have, install that one, turn off automatic updates, download your book to it, find out where it keeps it's downloads (in my case it's My Kindle Content in my Documents folder) and drag and drop the AZW3 file into Calibre.

It is possible to convert the newer formats but I haven't done that and I'm not sure what's involved. I do think it's more complicated, involving multiple files. Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken. I know the method above works well.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2019, 12:14 PM   #3
jbooker

thanks
Old 09-18-2019, 01:02 PM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
like he said.
don't delete K for PC, it only takes a tiny bit of space and its an essential part of the de-drm pipeline

there ARE other workarounds if you have already zapped it, but going via K for PC is very simple

and disable auto updates in that program if you haven't already. only update if it stops working.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:05 PM   #5
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
When installing the old version, be sure to change the location of the library. This may get Amazon to load the Amazon books to the azw format into the specified library. Then you could delete the old library with the undesirable format.

select: tools -> options -> content; then do the 'change folder'. All to be done to before registration?
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2019, 01:24 PM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
FYI others have said that you can't install an older version of K for PC unless you completely remove the newer one. e.g. using an uninstaller utility that does a thorough job of removing registry entries...

one other method is to have an old cheap e ink kindle from which you can get a valid serial number. some people get a very old one and register it just so that they can get amazon to send the older book formats to it ...
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:18 PM   #7
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Did you try to just download the book directly from Amazon, then drop it into Calibre that way?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:50 PM   #8
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
Did you try to just download the book directly from Amazon, then drop it into Calibre that way?

But if it is DRM encumbered, then he wouldn't be able to use it.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:53 PM   #9
jbooker

Yeah, tried that.

Tomk2, tried going into the kindle file, but the book itself wasn’t listed in the file. It looked like there were two files of metadata. I sent both of those files to calibre, and when I opened it with book reader it just looked like lines of computer programs. I’m new to calibre so I’m a novice. I’m just gonna wait and see if I can do it at a later date, maybe things will change and there’ll be an easier way to extract it. Thanks
Old 09-27-2019, 04:11 PM   #10
jbooker

Tomk2, sorry I misunderstood your reply. I was thinking about just reloading from Amazon, don’t know if I have to pay for it though.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:07 PM   #11
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

After installing the calibre plug ins, I entered my Kindle serial number into Calibre. Then I went to my content page on Amazon, downloaded the books I had previously purchased straight to my download folder (without having to pay for them again). From there I dropped them into calibre and everything worked.

I never used the kindle app on my desktop for this process at all. I feel like I am missing something for your situation?

Last edited by Tomk2; 09-27-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:01 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
I feel like I am missing something for your situation?

The direct download option is there only if you have a physical Kindle device.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:49 PM   #13
Tomk2
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The direct download option is there only if you have a physical Kindle device.
oh, now I get it! LOL. Thanks. I registered my device to Amazon long before I learned about Calibre, so I had no idea.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:33 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbooker View Post
hi folks, can anyone help? I want to delete my kindle for pc app, it has one ebook in it, that I bought from amazon. will I be able to move it to caliber? its a reallky good book. or can I just send it again from my amazon account to caliber? any help would be appreciated.
Read the following thread in it's entirety and you should find the answer you seek.

Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 and KFX in calibre

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-03-2019 at 07:37 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:36 PM   #15
jbooker

Thank you jswolf, I don’t know if I can do all this, but I’m going to keep it for future reference. �� ��