Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Screwed by Tor again...

First, it was Old Man's War by John Scalzi. Free e-book download. Great book, I want more from this author! Sorry, Tor doesn't publish e-books. I'm screwed out of the rest of the series.

This time it was Orphans of Chaos, by John C. Wright. Free e-book. I failed to note the page numbers progressing ever closer to the end, asynchronously to the plot. So yep, the book ended before the story did. Hey, get the next in the series, right? Sorry, Tor doesn't publish e-books. I'm screwed out of the rest of the series.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

There will not be a third time. I'm deleting all the "free" e-books from Tor. Their neat little promotion trick, at least in this case, has backfired. I will not be doing any business with Tor.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
There will not be a third time. I'm deleting all the "free" e-books from Tor. Their neat little promotion trick, at least in this case, has backfired. I will not be doing any business with Tor.
Maybe just put them in the bit-freezer until Tor starts publishing e-books "for real"? I mean, they have said they're going to and all...
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
This time it was Orphans of Chaos, by John C. Wright. Free e-book. I failed to note the page numbers progressing ever closer to the end, asynchronously to the plot. So yep, the book ended before the story did. Hey, get the next in the series, right? Sorry, Tor doesn't publish e-books. I'm screwed out of the rest of the series.
Yup, I had the same experience. I kept wondering how all the plot threads would get wrapped up at the end of the book....and of course they weren't. Luckily my public library system has the other 2 books.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't want to get hooked on authors or series I cannot get more of. The frustration outweighs the enjoyment. Tor hasn't really been forthcoming about their plans. They may or may not, and if so, they won't say where or in what format. I'm not holding my breath; I'm moving on.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I had the same experience with Jo Walton and Jophn Scalzi. In fact, I just wrote Macmillan and asked when Walton and Scalzi books will be available as ebooks. Supposedly I will get an answer in a few days -- probably telling me that they are working on it and expect to have the books available just before the copyright expires (that way they have another format and can renew it).
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2008, 04:47 PM   #6
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Actually, Tor cost themselves at least one sale. I read the first in the 'Chaos' series by Wright, and would readily have purchased the second as an e-book. Since it wasn't available, I got the pbook at the library free.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

You will not get a response from Macmillan, if my previous experience is a guide. I've emailed them at least three times about specific titles or authors, and never even got an automated response.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Funny, the first page of recos when I got to the Kindle store on my Kindle is pretty much all the free TOR books.

BTW: Four and Twenty Black Birds and Disunited States of America both ended the story in the single book.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:52 PM   #9
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Tor did make it quite clear that their freebies were to advertise their (actually excellent) new web site, not any forthcoming ebooks. But they say they are planning to release ebooks in the future, and want them to be DRM-free, so I think cutting them a little slack might be in order. You can hardly claim to have been "screwed" by someone offering you a couple of dozen free novels; no-one forced you to read them. Perhaps fan mail to the authors, telling them how much you enjoyed their books, and how you'd like to see their other books in electronic format, might be more productive.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
In the Midnight Hour from TOR is good and works just fine as a stand-alone title. (Erotica - Not for the kiddies.)
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

John Scalzi made it very clear that contacting authors about e-books is pointless and in fact irritating to them. They can't do anything about it. The decision to publish in an e-book format is made by the publisher, not the author.

What expectation is set by a book publisher promoting a "new site" by giving away free e-books? I'm a reasonably intelligent person, and think I'm not alone in reaching the conclusion that gosh, an e-book promotion from a book publisher about their new web site might be promoting a site having something to do with e-book publication.

Oh wait, it's really just a community site, a blog. We'll get to e-books later. Sometime. What? You thought you could get e-books from us? Why, whatever gave you that idea?

So yes, I feel screwed by Tor. You're right, no one MADE me read those books, and I'm exercising that prerogative for the rest of the batch.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Please feel free to add the missing titles to the thread of requests for Amazon and Sony. See my siggy for the link.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:09 PM   #13
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Feedback to Sony, as to Macmillan, goes into a black hole with no acknowledgment, no way to track the feedback, and no results.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #14
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

The reply from someone at TOR, on the TOR site, was that there is a much-publicized deal to offer TOR books through Baen.

The Baen site, Webscriptions, TOR. A total of 12 titles, only 1 of which can be added to the shopping cart. And it's one of the titles they've already given away, for free.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:27 PM   #15
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
I know, I found the whole Tor thing to be very frustrating. I'm keeping the books around in case the sequels ever do get released, but I'm not going to read any of them until the entire series is available.

My primary wonder is at how there is so much knowledge, at the Tor level, that many people expected the site to have at least something to do with ebooks - and yet they haven't moved on that knowledge publicly while there's still a very high level of interest. Even releasing more concrete info about their future plans would be more beneficial than this general silence.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!