Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #901
ipse
Connoisseur
ipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo Aura, Arc 10HD
OK, I guess you have a point when it comes to upgrades...I wasn't feeling comfortable with splitting the files in 2 locations and all...I'm easily getting lost when I only start digging these things out every 6 months when I remember to upgrade
I'll see if I can figure out the script part (I did look at it prior to posting, but it looked completely different).
Another concern I have is your note regarding sleep when using a magnetic cover - if I understood correctly it only applies to KSM itself, not to the reader programs, but I'm already seeing that even with KSM6 KOreader does not sleep properly when the cover is closed. I mean, I do get the book cover showing, but the bttery drain indicates it's NOT sleeping.
That was with 2 versions of KOreader, so I'm now suspecting KSM (you tell me if I'm way off...and that KSM is just a launcher...).
I'm doing more testing but like I said, I only get back into reading these posts when I upgrade and something goes South
ipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:16 PM   #902
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipse View Post
Another concern I have is your note regarding sleep when using a magnetic cover - if I understood correctly it only applies to KSM itself, not to the reader programs,
Yes this applies only to KSM (all versions).

Quote:
but I'm already seeing that even with KSM6 KOreader does not sleep properly when the cover is closed. I mean, I do get the book cover showing, but the bttery drain indicates it's NOT sleeping.
That was with 2 versions of KOreader, so I'm now suspecting KSM (you tell me if I'm way off...and that KSM is just a launcher...).
I'm doing more testing but like I said, I only get back into reading these posts when I upgrade and something goes South
I am not convinced that your drainage problem is related to the sleep cover. Or do see this problem definitely only when using the sleep cover? You might have a look at this and that post. I think since then koreader did get its sleep code reworked, but I dot know for certain and I do not know how successful the change was.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2015, 04:02 PM   #903
ipse
Connoisseur
ipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than mom

Thanks...really appreciate your time.
Looks like nickel suspend works as expected, testing CR3 now and will take the discussion to the KOreader thread.
Long story short...what is your recommendation for sleep mode? Power off whenever the reader is not used for a longer period? Looks like that was the conclusion of your test...in the second link and pointing to the log.

/EDIT I'll post a reference to the KOreader discussions (and potential solution) in case someone else stumbles across this post.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=2449

Last edited by ipse; 11-18-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:27 PM   #904
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Long story short...what is your recommendation for sleep mode? Power off whenever the reader is not used for a longer period? Looks like that was the conclusion of your test...in the second link and pointing to the log.
This is actually what I am doing. But I was doing so already before I had KSM. If I did not follow this style like a religion, I would probably suspend the device if nickel is running, and power off if koreader is running.

Quote:
/EDIT I'll post a reference to the KOreader discussions (and potential solution) in case someone else stumbles across this post.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=2449
Even though I recommended myself once (see this post) to try switching off preventfreeze, I doubt that this does really help. As long as the system is in suspended state, preventfreeze is also inactive. I did a small test:
Spoiler:
This is the code of the original preventfreeze.sh:

Code:
while :
do
  sleep 1
done
There is an infinite loop. Inside of the loop "sleep 1" tells the kernel that this process does not need and cpu time for the next second.

This is the test script:
Code:
while :
do
  sleep 10
  echo "log at: $(date +%Y%m%d_%H%M%S)" >> $debug_logfile
done
The purpose is to log each run through the loop. In order to keep the log output small, I run the loop only once in ten seconds.

As for the test:
  • I started the test script.
  • After one minute, I put the device to sleep.
  • After another minute, I woke the device up.
  • After another minute, I terminated the test.

This is the log (plus one comment):
Code:
log at: 20151119_202724
log at: 20151119_202734
log at: 20151119_202744
log at: 20151119_202754
log at: 20151119_202804
log at: 20151119_202814
# suspended, no execution of the loop at all
log at: 20151119_202929
log at: 20151119_202939
log at: 20151119_202949
log at: 20151119_202959
log at: 20151119_203009
log at: 20151119_203019
log at: 20151119_203029

Last edited by tshering; 11-19-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #905
ipse
Connoisseur

I did follow the advice to copy the suspend script from CR to KOreader and it does seem to help.
Right now I'm procrastinating to try and manually copy the launcher and CR scripts from KSM8 to KSM6 but failed every time...despite modifying paths and all.
I guess my rationale to stick with KSM6 is KISS...if it works, why bother. I do not use Calibre (so db corruption is not a concern) and also don't want to hunt for the script files (and cfg as well...which I have tuned to my liking).

One thing I have to say...I would have been mega-frustrated if it wasn't for KSM...it gives the user so much flexibility and little tools that it should have been picked up by Kobo. Thanks for your efforts and the help offered in this forum.
Advert
Old 04-05-2016, 12:22 PM   #906
Tongcuyu
Tongcuyu began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Glo
I do not speak English, the following words have generated Google Translation
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello everyone,
I used the device is boko glo, successfully installed KSM v0.8 and KOreaderv2015.11-276.
But I met a trouble is, every time you start need to manually set up, "koreader_additions> start koreader nickel switch", I like the way this switch.

But a lot of trouble!
Is there any way to boot every time, automatically run this operation?

thank you all
Tongcuyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:20 PM   #907
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tongcuyu View Post
I do not speak English, the following words have generated Google Translation
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello everyone,
I used the device is boko glo, successfully installed KSM v0.8 and KOreaderv2015.11-276.
But I met a trouble is, every time you start need to manually set up, "koreader_additions> start koreader nickel switch", I like the way this switch.

But a lot of trouble!
Is there any way to boot every time, automatically run this operation?

thank you all
In .adds\kbmenu_user\confoptions\ksm_ini_options.txt find
Code:
ksmAutoselectoption=start_nickel
ksmAutoselectoption=start_koreader
and add a this point
Code:
ksmAutoselectoption=start_koreader_nickel_switch
Note that you have to use a unix style editor!

Then select "configure" from the main screen and add the new option (ksmAutoselectoption=start_koreader_nickel_switch) in the section [general]; or switch the value to start_koreader_nickel_switch, if you did already set a value to ksmAutoselectoption.
KOReader will start about 20 seconds after boot, if you do not manually select something else.

For questions about KSM 8, please post to the KSM 8 thread.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:17 AM   #908
Tongcuyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Code:
and add a this point
Code:

Then select "configure" from the main screen and add the new option (ksmAutoselectoption=start_koreader_nickel_switch) in the section [general]; or switch the value to start_koreader_nickel_switch, if you did already set a value to ksmAutoselectoption.
KOReader will start about 20 seconds after boot, if you do not manually select something else.

非常感谢您,终于解决了这个困扰我很久的问题。
现在,我把启动时间改为1秒(ksmAutoselectafter=1),现在已经非常完美 。

唯一的瑕疵(遗憾、缺陷)就是每次启动时都会显示KSM的界面(虽然只有一秒)。
对于一个非英语国家的人,面对每次都要面对这些看不懂的文字和复杂的KSM界面让人觉得不友好(不舒服,不 爽,不愉快)。最重要是,除了第一次设置意外,我平时并不需要它。
希望在KSM在以后的版本中,可以进行屏蔽启动(直接跳转“koreader_nickel_switch ”模式),或者可以设置一张美丽的启动图片。再也看不到KSM在启动。这真的是一个很酷(完美) 的主意。

致以tshering先生和KSM作者最真诚的祝福,非常谢谢!!!
Old 04-06-2016, 01:27 AM   #909
Tongcuyu

Quote:
Code:
and add a this point
Code:

Sorry, I forgot to translate (upstairs)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you very much, finally solved the problem bothering me for a long time.
Now, I put the start-up time to one second (ksmAutoselectafter = 1), is now perfect.

The only flaw (sorry, defect) is displayed every time you start KSM interface (although only a second).
For a non-English speaking people, face to face every time they read the text and complex KSM interface feels unfriendly (uncomfortable, unhappy, unpleasant). Most importantly, in addition to the first set accident, I usually do not require it.
KSM hope in future versions, you can start masking (jumps directly "koreader_nickel_switch" mode), or you can set a beautiful start picture. No longer see the KSM at startup. It really is a cool (perfect) idea.

Mr. tshering and extend my most sincere wishes KSM author, thank you very much! ! !
Old 04-06-2016, 04:48 AM   #910
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tongcuyu View Post
The only flaw (sorry, defect) is displayed every time you start KSM interface (although only a second).
For a non-English speaking people, face to face every time they read the text and complex KSM interface feels unfriendly (uncomfortable, unhappy, unpleasant). Most importantly, in addition to the first set accident, I usually do not require it.
There are two things you can try to improve your experience of KSM:
  • close your eyes for some seconds after powering on
or
  • set
    Code:
    ksmAutoselectafter=0
Old 04-06-2016, 09:36 AM   #911
Tongcuyu

Quote:
There are two things you can try to improve your experience of KSM:
  • close your eyes for some seconds after powering on
or
  • set
    Code:
    ksmAutoselectafter=0
Now perfect, great, thank you.
I have tried before to 0.1 (ksmAutoselectafter = 0.1), the result failed.
PS. I think it should be KSM does not support fractional (floating point, a decimal point), only use integers (plastic), and 0 (zero) representatives should be closed (canceled)
As a result, I was too naive (stupid, opinionated).

Thanks for your help, the will most sincere blessing!
(^ _ ^) Y
Old 04-06-2016, 10:29 AM   #912
tshering
Wizard

Tongcuyu,
I am glad it works for you!
Old 04-28-2016, 05:45 AM   #913
Tongcuyu

I met a little trouble, though this should not be not entirely KSM. But to me there are a lot kobo users will encounter this problem.
This should be a question about the Koreader, so like setting allows Koreader in standby (sleep, a period of inactivity) automatically returns KSM (or switch to nickel, which is equivalent to the automatic press Home).
But I did not find on github (perhaps not enough to force translation software)

PS. I am here, a lot of people use a foreign (Japan, US, Canada) stock machine (or old material market recovered machines), these machines are seriously aging batteries. The Koreader no automatic shutdown function,

I hope the best way is to use nickel automatic shutdown.
In "start_koreader_nickel_switch", start koreader, koreader standby after a few minutes, automatically enter nickel, and then automatically shut down by nickel.
I do not know a great KSM can achieve this function.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:26 PM   #914
tshering
Wizard

@Tongcuyu
I think you should ask the developers of KOReader. KSM cannot much do in this respect. Somebody asked already for Koreader to power off automatically.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:00 AM   #915
Tongcuyu

Quote:
@Tongcuyu
I think you should ask the developers of KOReader. KSM cannot much do in this respect. Somebody asked already for Koreader to power off automatically.
Oh, thank you!

Let us look forward to the next version will add this feature koreader it!

And all my friends
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not have koreader and KSM are incomplete of kobo.