Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-29-2011, 07:00 AM   #1
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Frozen Cybook Orizon

My Orizon has completly frozen in the middle of a book. Nothing happens when I push the reset button and the powerbutton doesn't work. Alos the screen doesn't look fully refreshed, the text is there but also some black smeares like badly printed newspaper. Any suggestions what I can try to do?
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
That nothing happens when you push the reset button is normal, it only shuts down the unit, but changes nothing in the screen (remember, the screen takes no power as long as it doesn't change).

After pushing the reset button, try to turn it on with the power button. If it doesn't do anything, maybe the battery is flat: charge the battery for a few hours and try again.

If it still doesn't react, you might need to disconnect and re-connect the battery. I don't know if the Opus has a user-replaceable battery. If it does, it should be easy, if it doesn't... well, I hope just charging works
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
That looks like an empty battery to me.

Rester might *look* like it does noting, but actually work. e-ink screen don't need power, it will display the same image even off. After the reset, the cybook should start when using the power button. Unless of course, the battery is empty.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
Rick_Aus
Rick_Aus began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Orizon
Looks like a flat battery to me as well. I have run my battery to zero a few times, and each time it stays on the page and just becomes non-responsive.

Recharge and see what happens.
Rick_Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:02 AM   #5
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Laptop; Kobo Clara
Is it good to allow a Gen3/Orizon/Opus to run completely out of power occasionally? I usually recharge when my device gets down to around 40%.

--Jan.
JanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2011, 03:26 AM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, Li-ion battery don't like to be fully depleted. It should be avoided if you can.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:40 AM   #7
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Laptop; Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
No, Li-ion battery don't like to be fully depleted. It should be avoided if you can.
How low should it be allowed to go? Is allowing it to go down to 40% OK? And if it's completely depleted does it do damage to the device?

--Jan.
JanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:52 AM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard

Yeah, 40% is OK. it's staying at zero for a while the battery won't like.
No, it won't damage the device. But it will reduce battery life (very little, unless you let the battery at zero for a long time (months..) )

Last edited by EowynCarter; 08-31-2011 at 02:55 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:47 AM   #9
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks all for the tips, I've tried charging it bit it doesn't seem to help. My secod thought reconnecting the battery but there isn't a seperate battery hatch. Has anyone tried popping a Orizon apart?
Old 09-02-2011, 05:18 AM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard

Does the light switch on when charging ? What if you plug the orizon to the PC and switch it on ? Does anything happen ?
Get you post a photo of the screen ?
Just a stupid remark, have you tried with another power plug / USB port / cable ? Just in case the problem comes from there, and not the orizon itself. Get an other cable if need be, to make sure of it before you send the orizion back to France.

I woudn't try to open the orizon. I'm afraid you need bookeen support there
Use the contact form there :
http://bookeen.com/fr/supportcontact/

Last edited by EowynCarter; 09-02-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #11
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Don't worry about depletion on the battery, until it is 0V it's not fully depleted, since the device work at a predetermine voltage (I guess 3.3V) if the battery goes near 3.3V or bellow, the device will no longuer have enough battery to start, so it will not react. Anyway if you won't recharge it, it will continue to discharge !
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:08 AM   #12
owly
Guru

I tried loading both with a computer and with a micro USB cellphone loader (left it plugged in over night and it was still a dim red in the morning). The loading light flares up red for a moment then dims in both instances. Here's a screen photo link. https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Last edited by owly; 09-09-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:23 AM   #13
EowynCarter
Wizard

dim light mean it's charged (At least in the normal state).

I don't have a clue on how the orizon would act if charging don't work.
What if you plug it to pc and start the orizion ? Do the pc detect something ? do the light change color ?
Old 09-15-2011, 04:34 AM   #14
owly
Guru

Nope, the computer doesn't register it. I'm sending it back and hopefully since it was bought by the library I work at they'll give us a new one.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #15
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Nope, the computer doesn't register it. I'm sending it back and hopefully since it was bought by the library I work at they'll give us a new one.

Seams to me a "should be taken by warrenty" case.