Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-12-2016, 04:46 AM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Instructions for patching firmware 4.0.7523

This firmware version has only been oficially released for the Aura One and Aura Edition 2, it should work on other Mk 6 devices (Glo HD) but don't try to install it on other devices unless you know what you are doing, installing the wrong firmware could potentailly result in an unbootable ereader.

See the Firmware 4.0.7523 discussion thread for information about what has changed in this firmware version.

See the Index to the Metazoa firmware patches thread for a description of what some of these patches do.

Before starting:

1. Make sure your Kobo ereader is already running firmware version 4.0.7523 (c213e8a341). If not, then you need to upgrade before applying this patch.

2. Check that your battery is well charged.

Patching from Windows, Linux (i386/x86_64), or Mac (OS X 10.8-10.9, i386/x86_64):

1. Download and extract patch_kobo_4007523.zip (attached).

2. Download the Kobo firmware archive version 4.0.7523 for your device (See this thread) and copy it into the 4.0.7523_source/ subdirectory. (Don't unzip the firmware.)

3. Read and edit all the *.patch files in the 4.0.7523_source/ subdirectory in order to: choose which patches to enable (patch_enable=`yes`) or disable (patch_enable=`no`); and to change some of the replacement values to suit your device and preferences.

4. In Windows double-click 4.0.7523.bat; For Linux/Mac open a terminal, change to the patch_kobo_4007523/ subdirectory, and run ./4.0.7523.sh from the command line.

5. If there were no errors, copy the resulting KoboRoot.tgz from the 4.0.7523_target/ subdirectory to the .kobo directory on your ereader.

6. Safely eject and unplug the device, which will then update and restart.

To return your ereader to its original unpatched state:

1. Edit all the 4.0.7523_source/*.patch files to disable all patches (set patch_enable = `no` for every patch).

2. Repeat steps 4-6 of the procedure above.

Note that the following patches are enabled by default:

`Fix page breaks bug`
`Default ePub monospace font (Courier)`
`Custom left & right margins`
`Search in Library by default`
`Custom page refresh options (1,2,3,...,12)`
`Fix three KePub fullScreenReading bugs`
Attached Files
File Type: zip patch_kobo_4007523.zip (475.0 KB, 724 views)

Last edited by GeoffR; 09-15-2016 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Enabled the default patches. Corection: H2O is not a Mk 6 device.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:46 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Notes and other patches

The following patches are still missing:
Spoiler:

libadobe.so.patch:
`Remove PDF page turn arrows at left and right edges of page`

libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch:
`ePub adjustable top/bottom margins`
`Custom page refresh options (1,8,32,Chapter -- Aura only)`
`Custom page refresh options (1,32,99,Chapter -- Aura only)`
`Remove system fonts in Reader list`
`Remove non-system fonts in Reader list`
`Cyrillic keyboard`
`Arabic keyboard`
`Hebrew keyboard`
`Turkish keyboard`
`Bulgarian keyboard`
`Customise PinchGestureRecognizer`
`Margins fine tuning`
`Custom Sleep/Power-off timeouts`
`Change dicthtml strings to micthtml`

I might add some of these as I get time, but others will have to wait until a firmware version is released for other devices including my Glo. But if anyone else has patches for firmware 4.0.7523 post them here and I'll include them.

`Brightness fine control`

Last edited by GeoffR; 02-06-2017 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Added link to `Brightness fine control` patch
Advert
Old 09-13-2016, 02:24 AM   #3
jamalau
Connoisseur
jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thank you for this awesome Patch, please add the brightness fine control Patch, as soon as possible!

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 9 mit Tapatalk
jamalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:12 AM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard

This is the link to firmware 4.0.7523 for Mk 6 devices: http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...e-4.0.7523.zip

This version of the firmware has not been released for other devices.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:43 AM   #5
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Thanks for posting this thread.

As the problems with the full screen mode seem to be fixed by CSS injection by the driver, I think I'll disable all patches and install only the Font Freedom one. That (and the full screen fix patch, if it had been necessary) is the one I'm most interested in
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #6
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This doesn't seem to be true:

Quote:
All of these patches in are set to 'no'. The only two I've seen that are set to 'yes' by default are these:

Quote:
`Fix page breaks bug`

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-14-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post

`Fix page breaks bug`
I have to agree with Katsunami. Only the two patches for librmsdk are enabled in the .zip file in the first message of this thread.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:02 AM   #8
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
All of these patches in are set to 'no'. The only two I've seen that are set to 'yes' by default are these:
Thanks, I've editd the attachment to post #1 to enable those.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:35 AM   #9
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Is there any reason why you enable those patches by default?

I can see why you do so for the bugfix patches, but why enable "Custom left & right margins" and such by default?
Old 09-24-2016, 10:12 PM   #10
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Is there any reason why you enable those patches by default?
Not really, just that when I first got involved in patching there were some patches that were enabled by default, so I continued with that.

I've tried to leave patches that are most popular and which don't cause problems for anyone enabled by default, but as the firmware has changed some patches that used to work for everyone now cause problems for some (e.g. `Freedom to advanced fonts control` for Japanese books), and others are not as useful as they once were because Kobo have improved the firmware (e.g. `Custom font sizes` was very much needed when there were big gaps in the middle of the size range, but less so now that Kobo have smoothed out and extended the font size options.)

I decided to leave the line spacing patches disabled by default from now on because the KePub reader has problems with narrow line spacings, and it seems more people are reading KePubs now.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:20 AM   #11
JFeole
Connoisseur
JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo_Aura_H2O, Kobo_Aura_One, Kobo Sage
I just received my KA1. Is it ok to install these patches on it yet? Or should i hold off?
(I am running them with no issues on my Kobo Aura H20 without any issues currently)

Thanks,
JFeole
JFeole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:48 AM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nook_nerd View Post
I just received my KA1. Is it ok to install these patches on it yet? Or should i hold off?
(I am running them with no issues on my Kobo Aura H20 without any issues currently)
Yes it's OK as long as you use the patch files from this thread, i.e. the 4.0.7523 version.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:51 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nook_nerd View Post

Thanks,
JFeole
Before you patch, have a read of https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=278009 and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=277935 because there's information in both threads you may want/need to know.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:49 AM   #14
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

These patches are now available with this patcher:

Changing the info panel in full size screensaver

Dictionary frame size

Increase The Books Cover Size In The Library

Increasing The View Details Container

Last edited by oren64; 09-29-2016 at 12:21 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:31 AM   #15
jamalau
Connoisseur
jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.jamalau knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Forma
@GeoffR
Hallo, can you include the new Patches in your patcher, i dont know what i have to do with patch-nickel-css and makepatcher! Its easyer for me to use your patcher. Thank you!

Ok. i have include these patches in my nickel.patch file, and all works fine. Thank you @oren64!

Last edited by jamalau; 09-29-2016 at 06:56 AM.
jamalau is offline   Reply With Quote