Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #1
michel24
michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle k4nt
Disable auto firmware update

Hi,
I installed the one-click kmon package on my aura-one https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=314220
But I still use the stock firmware for pocket articles.

The problem is these auto-updates from kobo which break the install. And since I'm often without a computer for long period of time, then my reader is not usable until I go home.

I tried to deactivate the auto update in the kobo preferences, but it still updates itself.
(Note: when I update the articles, I do take care to ask for an update of only the articles, and do not do a full sync)

Any trick to really deactivate kobo's update?
(Maybe if there is a hosts file, I could somehow modify it so the update server would be not found?)

Thanks!
michel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:02 AM   #2
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There's no official way to do this, but there is a patch called "Block WiFi firmware upgrade" that supposedly does the trick. There is also a patch that makes it so you always get a confirmation dialog before the device upgrades itself.

Last edited by pickyaxe; 04-23-2019 at 10:05 AM.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2019, 02:42 PM   #3
JIPG-reader
Zealot
JIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Ed2, Onyx Boox C67ML
The patch with the confirmation dialogue (to update the fw or not) works like a charm .

And it allows you to update if you want ....
JIPG-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:04 PM   #4
Carmelocotonto
Connoisseur
Carmelocotonto began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Clara HD, Onyxboox C67
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIPG-reader View Post
The patch with the confirmation dialogue (to update the fw or not) works like a charm .

And it allows you to update if you want ....
Please, where is that patch? I can not to see it into Kobopatch. I have got 4.13......

Edit: Sorry, I saw it into libnickel.so

Last edited by Carmelocotonto; 04-23-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Carmelocotonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:33 PM   #5
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
It is called: "Always show confirmation dialog before upgrading"

and it is in the file: libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2019, 03:46 PM   #6
Carmelocotonto
Connoisseur
Carmelocotonto began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Clara HD, Onyxboox C67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
It is called: "Always show confirmation dialog before upgrading"

and it is in the file: libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml
Thanks. I saw it. It was a mistake. And... I had it ON
Carmelocotonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:00 AM   #7
michel24
michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi guys,
ok thanks a lot, that would do the trick.
Is the manipulation risky and/or time-consuming? I have to say that with the age I'm getting less and less motivated by doing nerdy things (Still have good rest though )
Old 04-24-2019, 01:03 PM   #8
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by michel24 View Post
Hi guys,

ok thanks a lot, that would do the trick.

Is the manipulation risky and/or time-consuming?
I managed OK when I patched my forma a few months ago.

I was tired of wishing both buttons went page forward, when I knew there was a perfectly good patch that did just this out there. I spent a bit of time reading the patch threads in the developers forum up there first, but I was pleasantly surprised how easy I found the patch process.
For me, It's basically being able to change a no to a yes in a text file and making sure your device has the right update on it.

I managed to do it again last week when I upgraded to the new firmware too. I'm sure you will be fine.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:06 PM   #9
michel24

ok great, thanks a lot!