Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-31-2020, 03:24 PM   #1
El Macho
El Macho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Boox Note 2
Kindle Oasis owner looking for a change – Pocketbook, Kobo, or ____?

Hi,

EDIT – hit submit and realized that I wrote "Paperwhite" rather than "Pocketbook in the title. Oops!

I have a Kindle Oasis, but want to get out of Amazon's ecosystem. (Thanks to Apprentice Alf I can bring my hundreds of Kindle books with me, I think.) I like the screen size of the Oasis – I find the Paperwhite to be a little too small, but a 10" screen is too big. I have a Boox Note 2 for reading pdfs etc, this ereader will be used on the go (once we're out of quarantine…) and in bed.

I've been thinking about the Kobo Aura or the Inkpad 3 Pro, but am open to other suggestions. I might even go down to a cheaper 6" reader just to try it out, if there's one that's super great to read on. (I've seen some folks on here say that the Pocketbook Touch HD has better contrast than the Inkpad?)

Here are my main use cases/wants:
  1. Great screen quality/contrast. I read on the thing, so that's most important.
  2. Hooked up with Overdrive so I can get books from the library all on the device.
  3. It'd be great to be able to get to Project Gutenberg or StandardEbooks to dl books directly
  4. Ability to read RSS feeds and/or my Pocket saved articles – I saw that the Inkpad has an RSS reader?
  5. Developer friendly a plus.
  6. Ability to filter blue light/adjust lighting based on time of day would be huge.
  7. Nice UI. The kindle is bad, and the Boox is worse. I know this is very subjective, but I'm interested to hear what you think.

Thank you!
Any suggestions?
El Macho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:32 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I'm only familiar with Kobo. Haven't used a Pocketbook. So I can't tell you which I would recommend.

Except for the Nia (no blue light filter) all the rest of the Kobos would fulfill 2, 4, 5 and 6. In my opinion, 7 as well.

Great screen quality/contrast.
My Clara looks great. There have been complaints about the lighting on the Libra and Forma. I've never seen one in person, so I can't say how nitpicky the complaints are. Someone else can chime in on that.

Hooked up with Overdrive so I can get books from the library all on the device
The same company that owns Kobo also owned Overdrive (they've either sold it or are in the process of doing so, I forget). At any rate, Kobo has great Overdrive access. It's as easy as buying a book from their store. No need for any secondary computer/phone/tablet or anything.

Project Gutenberg or StandardEbooks to dl books directly
Kobo has a built-in browser, but I've not yet tried it. Downloads may or may not be useful.

Ability to read RSS feeds and/or my Pocket saved articles
You can send Pocket articles to your Kobo. There's a shortcut on the homescreen for Pocket articles.

Developer friendly a plus
Just look at all the patches for Kobos

Ability to filter blue light/adjust lighting based on time of day would be huge
As I mentioned, the Clara, Libra and Forma all do that. They don't have the auto brightness-sensor that the Oasis has. But they will turn your screen yellower as the day progresses. And of course, you can change it manually whenever you want.

Nice UI
I really like Kobo's UI. They've just released a couple of updates that tweaked the UI making it better than it was just a few months ago, in my opinion.

Of course, like you said, UI is subjective.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 08-31-2020 at 05:42 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2020, 06:43 PM   #3
El Macho

Thanks, ZodWallop, I appreciate the reply.

Yeah, the more I've read about it, the more it seems like the Kobos check the most boxes. I think I'll pull the trigger on a Libra (same size as my Oasis) and see how I like it
Old 08-31-2020, 06:51 PM   #4
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I recently switched from Kindle to Kobo, haven't had a chance to try PocketBook as they're harder to get in the US and I didn't want to deal with it.

Great screen quality/contrast. I read on the thing, so that's most important.

I love the Clara HD screen -- way better than my first gen Paperwhite was, but the difference from the Oasis might not be as big.

Hooked up with Overdrive so I can get books from the library all on the device.

The Clara has this, though unfortunately only works with one library, even though I'm signed into my Overdrive account, not the library directly.

It'd be great to be able to get to Project Gutenberg or StandardEbooks to dl books directly

I've downloaded ePub books directly from the browser, and they work just fine. Haven't tried those sites specifically, but I'd be surprised if they didn't work.

Ability to read RSS feeds and/or my Pocket saved articles – I saw that the Inkpad has an RSS reader?

Not sure about RSS, but I've been loving the Pocket integration on my Kobo -- especially for the free short-stories that are posted on Tor.com.

Developer friendly a plus.

Tons of hacks for the Kobo, but I've not tried them.

Ability to filter blue light/adjust lighting based on time of day would be huge.

I've found the time-based automatic adjustment on the Kobo to be perfect, but it's also easy to override, but I think I recall the PocketBook having a gesture to do it w/o having to open a menu if you want to manually override it.

Nice UI. The kindle is bad, and the Boox is worse. I know this is very subjective, but I'm interested to hear what you think.

No commentary here... I don't spend much time on the library screens -- I open my book and read, so I couldn't really care less about the main screens as I also only keep a few books on the device at any one time.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:56 PM   #5
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
I recently made the switch from Kindle Oasis 2 to the Kobo Forma. Larger screen size was my motivation. The ability to sideload my Amazon books through Calibre made the transition pretty seamless. I find the Forma screen as good as the Oasis and my old eyes love the larger screen. I haven’t seen any uneven lighting issues, but I am not a pixel peeper.
I will say the Amazon environment is reliable and in my experience I never had any issues. It simply works. I have run into issues on the Kobo, but nothing I couldn’t resolve (with the help of this community). The other big advantage of Kobo is the tight integration with OverDrive. Finally, this switch forced me to use Calibre. It is an awesome program that gives you true ownership of your books. The support for the app is World Class, plus it has the support of this community.
Thanks,
Joe
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2020, 03:22 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Macho View Post
Here are my main use cases/wants:
  1. Great screen quality/contrast. I read on the thing, so that's most important.
  2. Hooked up with Overdrive so I can get books from the library all on the device.
  3. It'd be great to be able to get to Project Gutenberg or StandardEbooks to dl books directly
  4. Ability to read RSS feeds and/or my Pocket saved articles – I saw that the Inkpad has an RSS reader?
  5. Developer friendly a plus.
  6. Ability to filter blue light/adjust lighting based on time of day would be huge.
  7. Nice UI. The kindle is bad, and the Boox is worse. I know this is very subjective, but I'm interested to hear what you think.
I think the PocketBook covers just about everything on your list. (I don't know about RSS feeds, I don't know what they are.) It is, however, bigger and that extra inch makes a lot of difference in "feel" and weight.

I like the UI on the PocketBook. Simple and you can use the whole page. It might be too simple for your taste. You can add your own fonts. If you like the shape and size of the KO3, however, the Libra is probably the better choice for you.

Since PocketBooks have Adobe ADE "built-in" you can buy DRM ePubs (directly on the device) just about anywhere.

Last edited by rcentros; 09-01-2020 at 03:26 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:40 AM   #7
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Hi,

EDIT – hit submit and realized that I wrote "Paperwhite" rather than "Pocketbook in the title. Oops!
Thank you!
Any suggestions?
If you're not in Europe or the US, the Pocketbook may not be a viable option. I live elsewhere, and when I contacted Pocketbook they explicitly said "we don't sell there and have no plans to do so" They then suggested I visit German ebay resellers whose shipping charges added between 40-60% of the already 'premium' price to the overall cost.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:47 AM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I have both the Oasis and the Kobo Libra. IMHO the Libra is as good or better in some respects and a bit worse in others, but all in all, the experience is not terribly different. I love both of them.

Kobos are easy to customize with the help of detailed instructions here on MR. Mine is rather heavily patched and I know zilch about programming or coding. The screen of my Oasis is perhaps a tiny bit better, but the difference is pretty minor (and I usually notice such things). The Libra screen is also very good. I don't find myself missing my Oasis while reading on my Libra.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:15 PM   #9
El Macho

Thanks for all the replies! I'm leaning towards the Kobo at this point, but am wondering about two things:

1. Vendor lock in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Since PocketBooks have Adobe ADE "built-in" you can buy DRM ePubs (directly on the device) just about anywhere.
This is probably the biggest plus for the Pocketbook vs the Kobo, my understanding is that PocketBook doesn't have any book vendor lock in, while the Kobo is locked in to its own store. Is that right? I'm becoming more and more of a data privacy hardliner, so openness/ability to buy books from anywhere and read them without having data sent back to the vendor is a big deal to me.

2. Developing hacks/apps
I've looked some at the Kobo developers forums vs the PocketBook forum. It looks like Kobo supports Python programs natively, but PocketBook is C++. I'm fastest working in Python, so that's a big plus for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I like the UI on the PocketBook. Simple and you can use the whole page. It might be too simple for your taste. You can add your own fonts. If you like the shape and size of the KO3, however, the Libra is probably the better choice for you.
I'm with you – simple is good! The Kindle's UI is not very intuitive, at least for me. It seems like I have to do way too many taps for some settings.

Thanks again for your responses, everyone. I really appreciate it!
Old 09-01-2020, 12:39 PM   #10
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
1. Vendor lock in.
This is probably the biggest plus for the Pocketbook vs the Kobo, my understanding is that PocketBook doesn't have any book vendor lock in, while the Kobo is locked in to its own store. Is that right? I'm becoming more and more of a data privacy hardliner, so openness/ability to buy books from anywhere and read them without having data sent back to the vendor is a big deal to me.
I've not used it because I always remove the protection before copying to device, but I authorized my Kobo with ADE and AFAIK I can buy books from any ADE vendor and open them on the device w/o WiFi.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:48 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I recently switched from Kindle to Kobo, haven't had a chance to try PocketBook as they're harder to get in the US and I didn't want to deal with it.
Newegg is hard in the US?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:07 PM   #12
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Newegg is hard in the US?
Newegg started carrying them about a week after I bought my Kobo, and I've not yet heard anybody's input on how the experience was (e.g., is it still drop shipping from overseas, and slow?)
Old 09-01-2020, 01:41 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Newegg started carrying them about a week after I bought my Kobo, and I've not yet heard anybody's input on how the experience was (e.g., is it still drop shipping from overseas, and slow?)
Not according to their website. They specifically say "Ships from the USA" and, supposedly, I could have an HD3 tomorrow if I used "fastest delivery." (I'm guessing that's an expensive option.) When I put one in the cart it says "In Stock." (See attachment for their listing.)

TechInn also seems to be a pretty decent option. They ship from the U.K. and show a delivery date of September 9th or 10th. (No personal experience with TechInn, so I can't vouch for them.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newegg.png
Views:	140
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	181704  
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:41 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:

2. Developing hacks/apps

I've looked some at the Kobo developers forums vs the PocketBook forum. It looks like Kobo supports Python programs natively, but PocketBook is C++. I'm fastest working in Python, so that's a big plus for me!
I'm not sure I'd say it supports python natively. Yes; some have installed python on the device and done some coding in python but as to complexity of what they've done......
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:55 PM   #15
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have the Oasis and Forma and love the Forma. But the Forma does have a few warts but none are show stoppers. A skinny lighter band on the right near the buttons is visible when you have the brightness turned up but it's not visible when it's turned down to more reasonable levels (reasonable to me at least). The power button doesn't click and seems to need an excessive amount of pressure. But in my opinion the Forma's sleep cover is a must so I rarely use the power button. The Kobo user interface is a dream compared to the klunky Kindle's. The PocketBook doesn't seem to handle the series stuff well, if at all. The Kobo does it wonderfully; I set up the series info in Calibre and the Kobo plugin sends it to the ereader.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote