Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
Terra_Byte
Terra_Byte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 (free 3G)
Exclamation [HELP] Cannot usb network kindle 2

My kindle 2 (free 3G) refuses to successfully start the usb network.
I think I have found the main problem though. According to the BBB-LastAction dump that I obtained using KUAL, my ip_tables are probably corrupt or missing;
Code:
Packet counts taken at: 2013-09-25T22:25:51UTC

FATAL: Error inserting ip_tables (/lib/modules/2.6.22.19-lab126/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
iptables v1.3.3: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who? (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
When I try to connect to my kindle via ssh on Windows 7 it says access denied, and if I try to change the kindle's ip address it crashes explorer. If I try to ssh in Ubuntu it also says access denied, and it brings up an unknown error if I try to change its ip.
Any amount of help is appreciated!
P.S. I am somewhat experienced when it comes to Linux. But please don't be surprised if I don't understand what you mean.
Terra_Byte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra_Byte View Post

My kindle 2 (free 3G) refuses to successfully start the usb network.
I think I have found the main problem though. According to the BBB-LastAction dump that I obtained using KUAL, my ip_tables are probably corrupt or missing;
Code:
Packet counts taken at: 2013-09-25T22:25:51UTC

FATAL: Error inserting ip_tables (/lib/modules/2.6.22.19-lab126/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
iptables v1.3.3: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who? (do you need to insmod?)
When I try to connect to my kindle via ssh on Windows 7 it says access denied, and if I try to change the kindle's ip address it crashes explorer. If I try to ssh in Ubuntu it also says access denied, and it brings up an unknown error if I try to change its ip.
Any amount of help is appreciated!
P.S. I am somewhat experienced when it comes to Linux. But please don't be surprised if I don't understand what you mean.
You are breaking new ground.

I did not have a K2 to test on, and requests for testing by K2 owners fell on deaf ears.

** WITHOUT ** trying to install the KUAL firewall -
Use the generate the "Packet Report" and attach to your next post.

That will show me the structure on Amazon's firewall on the K2.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Terra_Byte

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You are breaking new ground.

I did not have a K2 to test on, and requests for testing by K2 owners fell on deaf ears.

** WITHOUT ** trying to install the KUAL firewall -
Use the generate the "Packet Report" and attach to your next post.

That will show me the structure on Amazon's firewall on the K2.
OK
here's the updated report (using the factory firewall)
Code:
Packet counts taken at: 2013-10-01T19:01:19UTC

it looks kinda the same :/
Old 10-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It looks kinda the same :/
Sure does.

In fact, it looks like the K2 kernel is not even configured to run a firewall.

Just for reference - what firmware version is that device running?

Last edited by knc1; 10-01-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Terra_Byte

Quote:
Sure does.

In fact, it looks like the K2 kernel is not even configured to run a firewall.

Just for reference - what firmware version is that device running?
Kindle 2 v.2.5.8
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Kindle 2 v.2.5.8
Thanks, at least you don't have to be concerned about Amazon pushing you an OTA update.

What are you trying to achieve by the addition of a firewall?
Perhaps there is an alternative we could suggest.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
Terra_Byte

Quote:
Thanks, at least you don't have to be concerned about Amazon pushing you an OTA update.

What are you trying to achieve by the addition of a firewall?
Perhaps there is an alternative we could suggest.
Accually I was just using the packet report to see if it would give any clue as to why the USB network was completely unusable.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Which USBNet hack did you use, and how did you try to set it up?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
Terra_Byte

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Which USBNet hack did you use, and how did you try to set it up?
I've used the one from your post here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004
Old 10-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Terra_Byte: And then?

Because there's no WiFi on the K2, and the only piece of code that would call iptables is hidden behind a K3_WIFI config switch that is disabled by default.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
Terra_Byte

Quote:
@Terra_Byte: And then?

Because there's no WiFi on the K2, and the only piece of code that would call iptables is hidden behind a K3_WIFI config switch that is disabled by default.
hmm...
I'm not sure what I did after that (it was a while ago)
should I just uninstall and re-install it?
Old 10-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Terra_Byte: Uninstall, remove the usbnet fodler, reinstall.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
Terra_Byte

Quote:
@Terra_Byte: Uninstall, remove the usbnet fodler, reinstall.
K ill try right now.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #14
Terra_Byte

[UPDATE] *sigh* Still can't ssh or telnet to the device... :/
I also ran a diagnostic on it and apparently it doesn't have a valid IP configuration (which I've tried to fix before).
Old 10-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
[UPDATE] *sigh* Still can't ssh or telnet to the device... :/
I also ran a diagnostic on it and apparently it doesn't have a valid IP configuration (which I've tried to fix before).
run nmap on the network range you are expecting it to me at.

q1: What addresses does the install package readme tell you to use?
q2: What address did you set the host to?
q3: What OS is your host running?

Tags
corrupt, error, ip_tables, kindle2, ssh