Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-07-2022, 02:06 PM   #1
luketheduke
Connoisseur
luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.

Device: PW3, PW2, KT2, 2xKT, 2xK3G
Jailbreak lost on 5.14.3.2. Popcorn won't work. What can I do?

Hello all!

Recently I found my PW3 that I had already jailbroken and decided to factory reset and update it so that I could start off with a fresh kindle.
I was nervous about losing the jailbreak, so I immediately installed the latest hotfix, and the Rescue Pack.

After this, I reset my kindle from settings and skipped connecting it to wifi. Again I installed the hotfix, Rescue Pack, KUAL, UsbNetwork, and MRPI.
I had to rename my ota binaries to their original name through UsbNetwork so that I could update.
I placed the 5.14.3.2 update file in /mnt/us/ and updated.

I tried to install the hotfix once more, for good measure, but the update button was greyed out. No worries. I'll just install it with MRPI. I placed the hotfix in /mnt/us/mrpackages and tried to open KUAL. It gave me a "This application cannot be started" error, and that's when I started to panic.

I went home and entered ;log mrpi hoping it would work, but no luck.
I even tried to enter diags by placing ENABLE_DIAGS in /mnt/us/ and rebooting, but nothing changed.

I found this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=325477 while looking for a solution, and placed emergency.sh on the kindle and rebooted, but there was no sign that it ever ran.

I thought I was screwed, but I came across Popcorn https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=345655 and decided to try it out.
I followed the instructions and ran Popcorn as it said. It seemed like it worked. It showed the Popcorn screen and informed me that it successfully installed the developer key, but after booting I was still unable to install the hotfix.

The question is: Why won't Popcorn work, and what can I do?
In hindsight, I really should have just updated to 5.14.2 which I could still jailbreak.
luketheduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 07:29 PM   #2
luketheduke
Connoisseur
luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.

Update

So I was trying to follow the serial jailbreak guide https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541 but I accidentally tore off the serial pads during the soldering process.

I probably just ruined my last resort of jailbreaking.
Are there any other serial test pads anywhere else?
Advert
Old 09-08-2022, 07:34 PM   #3
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by luketheduke View Post
So I was trying to follow the serial jailbreak guide https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541 but I accidentally tore off the serial pads during the soldering process.

I probably just ruined my last resort of jailbreaking.
Are there any other serial test pads anywhere else?
How long ago did you purchase this unit? Any possible reasons you could return it for a replacement? If so, you might get a replacement unit that can be dealt with. If not, perhaps someone knows of another set of serial pads. The problem you are having is the reason many use pins and a cushion of some sort as opposed to attempting to solder there.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 07:47 PM   #4
luketheduke
Connoisseur

I got this unit used fairly long ago, so there's no chance of returning it.
I also was using the pin method to avoid soldering it.

I can still access SDP mode by shorting the two pins CR501 and TP1706 though.

Tags
5.14.3, jailbreak, popcorn, pw3