Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-24-2022, 02:02 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Installing Custom Fonts

I'd like to put custom fonts on my Libra 2 but don't know where to put them. Will all the functions, such as changing the weight, work? If not, is there a way to persuade this to happen?

Should I look for a specific type of font, such as ttf? And do I have to install the regular, regular italic, bold, bold italic versions?

Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 02:08 AM   #2
DevonHess
Can't actually read
DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kindle PW2
Seems like a very easy thing to Google, but here.

Quote:
Fonts can be be very easily added to the Kobo family of eReaders. With the Kobo attached to your computer, create a new directory called fonts in the root directory of the device (the same location as the .kobo, .adobe-digital-editions and Digital Editions directories.

Once this directory has been created, simply copy entire font families into it.

A font family consists of four files; one each for Regular, Italic, Bold and BoldItalic.

The font should be named the same as the system sees the font, so in the case of Linux Libertine, it's exactly that. You'll have 4 different font file, and you want to name each one in the style <Font Name>-<Font Weight>, so for Linux Libertine, you should have 4 files:

Linux Libertine.ttf (or Linux Libertine-Regular.ttf)
Linux Libertine-Italic.ttf
Linux Libertine-Bold.ttf
Linux Libertine-BoldItalic.ttf

For many fonts, the name can simply be what you'd expect it to be, but for some, the actual font name is different than what seems obvious. And you are correct, all these files go into a folder called "fonts" on your Kobo.
DevonHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2022, 03:07 AM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well I've tried using this method but it does not allow access to the Advanced font settings, such as Weight, which was what I was originally asking about.
With kindles, the book needed to be in azw3 rather than simple mobi in order for advanced settings to work. Does the kobo require something similar. All my books are epubs.
One of the fonts I put on - Lexia Dama - is only showing in italic, even though I put all four types of the font in the 'font' folder.

I suspected this wouldn't be simple because only a few of the pre-installed fonts allow access to Advanced options.
Old 03-24-2022, 05:07 AM   #4
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Well I've tried using this method but it does not allow access to the Advanced font settings, such as Weight, which was what I was originally asking about.
With kindles, the book needed to be in azw3 rather than simple mobi in order for advanced settings to work. Does the kobo require something similar. All my books are epubs.
One of the fonts I put on - Lexia Dama - is only showing in italic, even though I put all four types of the font in the 'font' folder.

I suspected this wouldn't be simple because only a few of the pre-installed fonts allow access to Advanced options.
You will have to patch your Kobo in order to get Advanced Font settings.
It is quite straight forward but not simple.

Instructions are here : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=342717
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:53 AM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
And as to some fonts not displaying correctly, perhaps this will help:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...play_Correctly
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2022, 09:15 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
And as to some fonts not displaying correctly, perhaps this will help:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...play_Correctly
Why is the Kobo Wiki giving instructions to fix Amazon fonts?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:52 PM   #7
BookCat
C L J

This is the first time I've tried to install a patch and I'm stuck at this step:

Quote:
Choose your patches from the files in the src folder
Enable patches in the files in the src folder (or use the overrides in kobopatch.yaml to keep your options separate)
Every time I try to open something inside the src folder, Windows either tells me that it can't open the file, or I get a brief flash of a screen which instantly disappears.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 03-24-2022, 08:41 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
This is the first time I've tried to install a patch and I'm stuck at this step:

Every time I try to open something inside the src folder, Windows either tells me that it can't open the file, or I get a brief flash of a screen which instantly disappears.

What am I doing wrong?
Are you trying to open the .yaml files with a text editor? My preferred text editor is Notepad++ which I used Open With to set as the default application for .yaml files.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 10:47 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J

I've installed Notepad++ but I don't understand it. Can I just use Notepad?
Old 03-24-2022, 11:04 PM   #10
BookCat
C L J

I'm in the process of going through the options with Notepad++ I hope I won't cause too many issues if I get this wrong!
Old 03-24-2022, 11:12 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I've installed Notepad++ but I don't understand it. Can I just use Notepad?
Notepad will work but since I often toggle between Linux. Mac and Windows boxes, I appreciate Notepad++'s feature. Even something as simple as being able to select the end of line as LF, CR/LF or CR can be a lifesaver.

Probably the easiest way is to use embed the selections in the overrides section of kobopatch.yaml. Puts your choices in one spot and saving a copy of your overrides makes it a lot easier to move them to the next version of kobopatch. I've copy/pasted my overrides into the spoiler.

Spoiler:
Code:
## You can put lines in the following section to override the enabled state of patches.
## The indentation matters! Each override should be indented by 4 spaces. Add to the 
## section below. This section can be copy and pasted into newer patch versions to
## keep your selections.
##
## Example of how it should look:
## overrides:
##   src/nickel.yaml:
##     Custom synopsis/details line spacing: yes
##     Whatever the yaml is called: no
##   src/libadobe.so.yaml:
##     You get the idea: yes

overrides: 
  src/libadobe.so.yaml: 
    Remove PDF map widget shown during panning: no 

src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml: 
    Both page turn buttons go next: no 
    Both page turn sides go next: no 
    Replace adobe page numbers toggle with invert screen: no  
    Always show confirmation dialog before upgrading: no  
    Allow USB storage even when device locked: no 
    Hide browser from beta features: no 
    Disable all tutorial dialogs: no 
    Remove beta features not supported text: no 
    Remove recommendations (row1col2) from home screen: no 
    Rename new home screen footer: no
    Remove line from bottom tab bar: no 
    Change Browse Kobo home screen link target - Activity: no 
    Set visible SmartLink: no 
    Only show Pocket SmartLink: no 
    Only show stats SmartLink: no 
    Never show Kobo Plus, wishlist, and points SmartLinks: no 
    Allow showing info panel on random screensaver: no 
    Larger Sleep/Power-off timeouts: no 
    Allow rotation on all devices: no  
    Don't uppercase header/footer text: no 
    Custom header/footer page number text: no 
    Don't uppercase header/footer text and change page number text: no  
    Swap reading header/footer: no 
    Enable advanced settings for all fonts: no 
    Customize ComfortLight settings: no 
    Remove title from reading header/footer: no 
    FeatureSettings - BookSpecificStats: no 
    FeatureSettings - ShowFacebookShare: no 
    FeatureSettings - FullScreenBrowser: no 
    FeatureSettings - MyWords: no 
    FeatureSettings - ExportHighlights: no 
    DeveloperSettings - AutoUsbGadget: no 
    PowerSettings - UnlockEnabled: no 
# PATCH GROUP - DON'T ENABLE MORE THAN 1 
    My 10 line spacing values: no 
    My 24 line spacing values: no  
# END GROUP 
    Custom left & right margins: no 
    ePub fixed top/bottom margins: no 
    ePub disable built-in body padding-bottom: no 
    Custom kepub default margins: no 
    Block WiFi firmware upgrade: no 
    Custom Sleep/Power-off timeouts: no  
    Set KePub hyphenation: no 
    Force user line spacing in KePubs: no 
    Force user line spacing in ePubs (part 1 of 2): no 
    Un-force font-family override p tags (std epubs): no 
    Force user font-family in ePubs (Part 1 of 2): no  
    ePub constant font sharpness: no  
    KePub constant font sharpness: no  
    Un-Force user text-align in div,p tags in KePubs: no 
    Un-Force user font-family in KePubs: no  
    Un-force link decoration in KePubs: no 
    Ignore .otf fonts: no 
    Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height: no  
# PATCH GROUP - DON'T ENABLE MORE THAN 1 
    KePub stylesheet additions - text justify: no 
    KePub stylesheet additions - optimizeSpeed: no 
    KePub stylesheet additions - optimizeLegibility: no 
# END GROUP 
    Custom navigation menu page number text: no  
    Shorten dictionary entry not found message: no  
    Change Wikipedia search language: no 
    Cyrillic Keyboard (GloHD/ClaraHD/AuraOne/H2O2): no 
    Greek Keyboard (GloHD/ClaraHD/AuraOne/H2O2): no 
    Bulgarian Phonetic Keyboard (GloHD/ClaraHD/AuraOne/H2O2/Forma/Libra): no 
    Don't grab exclusive access to event0: no 
    Unify font sizes: yes

src/librmsdk.so.1.0.0.yaml: 
    Disable orphans/widows avoidance: yes 
    Default ePub serif font (Amasis): no 
    Default ePub sans-serif font (Gill Sans): no 
    Default ePub symbol font (Symbol): no 
    Force user line spacing in ePubs (Part 2 of 2): no 
    Force user font-family in ePubs (Part 2 of 2): no  
    Ignore ePub book Adobe XPGT stylesheet (page-template.xpgt): no 
    Ignore ePub book CSS and Adobe XPGT stylesheets: no 
    Ignore ePub TOC navpoints: no 
    Default ePub monospace font: no

src/nickel.yaml: 
    Show all games: no 
    Remove forgot pin button from lock screen: no 
    Increase size of kepub chapter progress chart: no  
    Reduce top/bottom page spacer: no  
    Custom synopsis details line spacing: no 
    Custom synopsis font size: no 
    Increase home screen cover size: no  
    Dictionary pop-up - increase available text area: no 
    Increase Book Details synopsis area: no 
    Increase library cover size: no 
    Custom collection/author header title font: no  
    Reduce new header/footer height: no 
    Custom header/footer captions: no 
    Custom page navigation scrubber: no  
    Customise Header back button: no  
    Series list increase cover thumbnails: no  
    Increase headlines font: no  
    New home screen subtitle custom font: no
    Remove footer (row3) and increase cover size on new home screen: no 
    Remove footer (row3) on new home screen: no 

## TRANSLATIONS ##

If everything gets screwed up, just unpack the KoboPatch .zip file for your firmware version, copy/paste your saved overrides and you should be back in business. You may find yourself getting overly familiar with the log file in the out directory.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-24-2022 at 11:19 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 11:23 PM   #12
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
I'm in the process of going through the options with Notepad++ I hope I won't cause too many issues if I get this wrong!
I used to install patches, particularly this one that adds fonts weight to side loaded fonts.

But you have to patch it again after every new firmware update. I gave up. Too tedious every time.

I hope Kobo will add that feature, just like the Kindle does.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 01:43 AM   #13
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
I used to install patches, particularly this one that adds fonts weight to side loaded fonts.

But you have to patch it again after every new firmware update. I gave up. Too tedious every time.

I hope Kobo will add that feature, just like the Kindle does.
I'm trying to prevent my Libra from updating, at least until there's an update worth having.

Although it's taken time, I've worked my way through the patches, putting yes and leaving no where appropriate. Most of it was fairly easy to understand if I read the descriptions and ignored all the programing stuff.

According to the next step in the Read Me text, I should:
"3. Run kobopatch.bat on Windows,"
however, when I try to double click this icon, a box quickly pops up and disappears. Which program should I run this .bat with?

Thanks for helping me to learn how to patch a Kobo.
Old 03-25-2022, 05:01 AM   #14
BookCat
C L J

I thought I was doing this wrongly by not putting the firmware update into the src folder. So I downloaded the firmware, even though I thought I didn't need it because it's the same as the one on my kobo, and unzipped this into the src file, including getting Express Zip to unpack the tgz file.

But I still can't get the .bat to execute.
There's an instantaneous flash of something opening, then nothing.

What am I doing wrong?
I've tried everything.

Please suggest something someone.
Old 03-25-2022, 05:39 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I thought I was doing this wrongly by not putting the firmware update into the src folder. So I downloaded the firmware, even though I thought I didn't need it because it's the same as the one on my kobo, and unzipped this into the src file, including getting Express Zip to unpack the tgz file.

But I still can't get the .bat to execute.
There's an instantaneous flash of something opening, then nothing.

What am I doing wrong?
I've tried everything.

Please suggest something someone.
I can send you a copy of my patches and also enable the patch to prevent firmware updates via WiFi. Would that help? You'd be able to see which patches I have applied and turn off the ones you don't want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom fonts