Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-16-2020, 11:28 PM   #1
kirk8677
Enthusiast
kirk8677 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Is Calibre compatible with Apple Silicon M1 Macs (using rosetta 2)?

For those early adopters getting their new ARM based Macs today, I'm really curious if Calibre runs out of the box using Rosetta 2? And also how hard would it be to recompile an ARM native version for the new Macs?
kirk8677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:55 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Cant answer your first question, as to the second, pretty hard, all of calibre's deps would need to be dual compiled. In the past calibre has had dual ppc/x86 builds for os x, so its not impossible, just dont expect it to be anytime soon.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2020, 10:46 AM   #3
kirk8677
Enthusiast

Thanks, if anyone buys an M1 Mac and tries it, please do report on whether it works!
Old 11-17-2020, 12:45 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
And also if Calibre works
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:01 PM   #5
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'd think in theory it *should* work, though performance might not be great
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2020, 05:42 PM   #6
kirk8677
Enthusiast

@Quoth: indeed! The reviews are quite positive so far......

@Binaryhermit: quite the opposite, the initial benchmarks indicate that Intel code running on Mac's ARM actually is faster than many Intel native computers (google it). However, even Apple does not guarantee 100% of Intel code will work, and the exceptions are rather technical. I suspect Calibre will work fine based on what I have read.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:54 PM   #7
kirk8677
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Cant answer your first question, as to the second, pretty hard, all of calibre's deps would need to be dual compiled. In the past calibre has had dual ppc/x86 builds for os x, so its not impossible, just dont expect it to be anytime soon.
Here's a link from Apple that describes what is compatible: https://developer.apple.com/document...on_environment

Note specifically this (does Calibre use Kernel extensions?):

What Can't Be Translated?
Rosetta can translate most Intel-based apps, including apps that contain just-in-time (JIT) compilers. However, Rosetta doesn’t translate the following executables:

Kernel extensions

Virtual Machine apps that virtualize x86_64 computer platforms

Rosetta translates all x86_64 instructions, but it doesn’t support the execution of some newer instruction sets and processor features, such as AVX, AVX2, and AVX512 vector instructions. If you include these newer instructions in your code, execute them only after verifying that they are available. For example, to determine if AVX512 vector instructions are available, use the sysctlbyname function to check the hw.optional.avx512f attribute.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:56 PM   #8
kirk8677
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I'd think in theory it *should* work, though performance might not be great
Here's Lightroom Classic running under Rosetta. I suspect Calibre performance will not be an issue!

https://youtu.be/S-dOB326mlY?t=771
Old 11-17-2020, 11:14 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No calibre does not use kernel extensions/virtual machines. As far as I know it *should* work fine, however, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 12:04 AM   #10
kirk8677
Enthusiast

Thanks! I'm inspired enough to pick up my M1 Macbook Air tomorrow and try. 14 days to test it, at least!
Old 11-18-2020, 10:23 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk8677 View Post
@Quoth: indeed! The reviews are quite positive so far......

@Binaryhermit: quite the opposite, the initial benchmarks indicate that Intel code running on Mac's ARM actually is faster than many Intel native computers (google it). However, even Apple does not guarantee 100% of Intel code will work, and the exceptions are rather technical. I suspect Calibre will work fine based on what I have read.
Yes, Apple have done this before, 68K, Power PC, x86-32 and x86-64 with no 32 bit.
I'm sure it's well tested and while the Rossetta 2 might be slower than some non-Apple x86 computers, for a single core, it's faster than most or even all x86 Apple laptops and minis.

However I'd only buy one if I absolutely had to run Mac OS. I remember the 68K with ROM OS, the translucent CRT iMac original and the Mac in half a ball with OS9.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:18 PM   #12
lisainIL
lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I have installed Calibre 4.23 on a new Mac mini with M1 chip. It works fine.
However... if you are using Alf's tool (v6.8) and Kindle for Mac 1.26, Alf's tool is not working properly.
I have posted on the Github (#1369) and in a couple of other threads here, but am having no luck with a solution.
lisainIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:04 AM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisainIL View Post
I have installed Calibre 4.23 on a new Mac mini with M1 chip. It works fine.
However... if you are using Alf's tool (v6.8) and Kindle for Mac 1.26, Alf's tool is not working properly.
I have posted on the Github (#1369) and in a couple of other threads here, but am having no luck with a solution.
Thanks for the update. Had a feeling Alf might be an issue.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:18 PM   #14
lisainIL
lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Thanks for the update. Had a feeling Alf might be an issue.
FYI - If you have an eInk Kindle device and use the "download & transfer via USB" method, since you're bypassing the Kindle for Mac app in this situation, Alf's tool & Calibre work fine.
lisainIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:27 PM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisainIL View Post
FYI - If you have an eInk Kindle device and use the "download & transfer via USB" method, since you're bypassing the Kindle for Mac app in this situation, Alf's tool & Calibre work fine.
Best anyway. KFX is evil and adds DRM even when Publisher selects DRM free.