Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
krismcewan
krismcewan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader PRS-505
Question Its Dead Jim. What can i DO

OK after months of trying Its finally time to say its dead.

I think the charging circuits are fried as it wont do anything at all its stuck like this.

Well sony want £176 for a repair!! its £250 for a new one and second hand ones on ebay are going for £180 ish.

i cant find anyone else that does parts or repairs them.

any ideas

Or will i just buy an Ipad
krismcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
jharrison
jharrison began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch; iPad
I gotta say I really like my iPad and I own the Sony 505. Lying in bed to read I prefer the 505 because it is more comfortable for me to hold. It may be just trying to find the right cover for the iPad, but otherwise it is iPad all the way... not to mention also being able to buy books from Amazon.
jharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I feel your pain.

If you can't find a better option, I'd be interested in buying it for parts to (hopefully) repair my PRS-505's broken screen.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
krismcewan
Looks like a discharged battery rather than broken device.
Remember, if battery is _completely_ discharged, you can't charge it via USB anymore, only the 5.2V socket would work.

Did you try it?
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
SilverGhost40
Fixes Stuff
SilverGhost40 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm M100,Loox 720 Pocket PC,PRS-505 - now fixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
I feel your pain.

If you can't find a better option, I'd be interested in buying it for parts to (hopefully) repair my PRS-505's broken screen.

William
I've just ordered a screen from China, which I should hopefully get late this week/early next. USD83 + USD22 shipping to the UK. I'll report back on the thread I started, asking where to get a screen from. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81382
SilverGhost40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This does NOT look like it's broken; rather, this looks like a charging issue.

Reset it - use a paperclip and press in the little button on the back. Then, promptly hook it up to your AC - NOT YOUR COMPUTER. Leave it on overnight and then see if that cures the problem.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:11 AM   #7
krismcewan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
krismcewan
Remember, if battery is _completely_ discharged, you can't charge it via USB anymore, only the 5.2V socket would work.

Did you try it?

tried everything. the charging light doesnt come on when i plug it into the charger. Left it on charge for 3 days!!
Old 05-04-2010, 04:13 AM   #8
krismcewan

Quote:
krismcewan

Did you try it?

Kartu/Dr Drib

Guys i have tried everything.

Nothing Happens on any Reset Hard or Soft. AND the charging light doesnt come on when i plug it into the charger(psp 5v Charger that worked before). Left it on charge for 3 days!!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismcewan View Post
Kartu/Dr Drib

Guys i have tried everything.

Nothing Happens on any Reset Hard or Soft. AND the charging light doesnt come on when i plug it into the charger(psp 5v Charger that worked before). Left it on charge for 3 days!!
When you hook up the charger do you see any change in the screen appearance?

The charger might be bad.

It might be time for a new device or time to change the battery. Make sure the charger is good before you go that route.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:53 AM   #10
krismcewan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
When you hook up the charger do you see any change in the screen appearance?

The charger might be bad.

It might be time for a new device or time to change the battery. Make sure the charger is good before you go that route.

Checked th charger by charging my PSP successfully.

Where can i get replacement batteries in the UK?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #11
krismcewan

EdIT

i got a replacement battery from Morpeth Mobiles for £8.

worth it to see if it will make a difference
Old 05-04-2010, 07:22 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Where can i get replacement batteries in the UK?
I don't know if the battery is bad, but you can get one here for $22 US and they do ship internationally.

You might want to read this thread for more info.

Disassembly instructions are in the service manual and disassembly photos are here.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-04-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #13
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
krismcewan
Just to be sure, did you try pressing reset _while_ it is connected to the PSP charger?
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:40 AM   #14
krismcewan

Quote:
krismcewan
Just to be sure, did you try pressing reset _while_ it is connected to the PSP charger?

yep tried that. When charging, not charging, reset then charge, Hard reset both on and of charge.

I Charged the book up fully before I went on holiday in Feb. by the time I got there the thing was not turning on, I then charged it from USB psp charger for an hour and then it stuck at the screen above and stayed like that.

never even got to use it on holiday (typical too as it rained alot and was perfect weather for staying in and reading)
Old 05-04-2010, 07:31 PM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
yep tried that. When charging, not charging, reset then charge, Hard reset both on and of charge.
Just curious, when it is plugged into the charger, is it responsive at all?