Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
Scorcerer
Scorcerer began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N900
Post Calibre freezes when decision is needed.

Hello everyone!
Topic may be kinda ambiguous, but it's really simple:
When I'm trying to download metadata (using ctrl+d) for many books, i often encounter one which has more than 1 possibilities in search results (found that using manual download from edit metadata window). And then, sometimes the process freezes - it's not like calibre stops responding, i can abort the operation, no problem. But it won't decide which result should it pick, so when i check like 1000 books to get metadata overnight, it'll freeze on 5th-7th and for the rest of time will do totally nothing. Is there any way around that issue? Like, maybe, hard timeout - if no metadata had been picked for over two minutes calibre will skip that book and head to next one?
Scorcerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmm I doubt this has anything to do with multiple results, in such a case calibre just picks the first one. Is there anything else in common with these books. Post the title and author of a few of them.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Hi

I also seem to be getting freezing when editing the metadata. I am running in debug mode but no errors appear. It simply stops responding.

When I run top I see:

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
27087 tl 20 0 266m 75m 35m R 98 8.0 2:48.02 python

I am looking at an strace but nothing has jumped out at me yet.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

you're getting the freezing when just editing metadata, not downloading matches?
Old 01-05-2011, 05:49 AM   #5
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Yes, in my case it is related to editing the metadata. However, some books seem to work while others do not.

I left Calibre running last night with it frozen expecting it to finish what it was doing and display the edit metadata dialog but this morning it was still using 100% CPU and still frozen.

Dragons of the Dwarven Depths by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman is one that does not seem to work.

Tim
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 06:29 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
I left Calibre running last night with it frozen expecting it to finish what it was doing and display the edit metadata dialog but this morning it was still using 100% CPU and still frozen.
It sounds like you're saying all you were doing was opening the edit metadata window for a single book and it froze, is this correct? Which BTW is completely different from the OPs issue.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
It sounds like you're saying all you were doing was opening the edit metadata window for a single book and it froze, is this correct? Which BTW is completely different from the OPs issue.
Yes, I really should be more clear. I expect users to be clear when they report bugs to me and then I babble incoherently when I report something.

To reproduce:

1) Start Calibre
2) Right Click a book record
3) Select Edit Metadata (from memory...)
4) Select Individual (also from memory the actual title is something similar)
5) Wait
6) Eventually kill Calibre

I cases where it works I hear the drive getting accessed almost immediately. In cases where it does not work I don't hear anything.

When I am able to open the metadata window I can use next to open the next record of a book that works but it freezes when I encounter one that will not open individually.

I will try to insert some debug code tonight if I have some time. This is on Ubuntu 10.04...

Tim
Old 01-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Stick a few print statements into the __init__ method of MetadataSingleDialog to see where it is freezing.

Also the code that launches the dialog (in case it si freezing before __init__) is in actions.edit_metadata in the edit_metadata method.