Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-18-2015, 07:36 AM   #1
suraya
suraya began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Can't connect Kobo Glo to Mac

Hi there,
I searched the threads, but couldn't find a solution to my problem. I have a Kobo Glo and for more than two years it worked perfectly fine with my Mac. But since few weeks I can't connect them anymore. The battery is charging, but Mac doesn't detect it. I tried reseting the Kobo and installed a new Kobo Desktop software, but to no avail. The Kobo doesn't even show up in the Disk Utility manager. I tried different computers and different cables, nothing works. There's no more warranty on the Kobo, so what can I do?

Last edited by suraya; 04-18-2015 at 07:40 AM.
suraya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:36 AM   #2
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
What do you mean you tried different computers?

If you've tried multiple computers and they still couldn't detect your Glo then the problem is with the Glo. The pins in charge of transferring data in the Glo (since your Glo is still charging) might be dirty (doubt it) or they really are broken.

Unless you have a background in electronics engineering and can solder, your option is to just buy a new Glo (cheaper than trying to get the device fixed by a 3rd party).

If you haven't tried other operating systems, go ahead and do it. It might be related to a recent bug on Mac devices. It might work.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2015, 09:50 AM   #3
suraya

Well, I tried different Mac computers, but haven't tried a PC. Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:50 AM   #4
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
It would have to be a fairly specific bug, I've had no issues connecting my Kobo H2O to my Mac.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 02:17 PM   #5
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Connect it and wrote here what ever system.log says, I will try to help.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2015, 02:22 PM   #6
suraya

Will have to find someone with a PC... Everyone seems to have a Mac...
Old 04-18-2015, 02:29 PM   #7
suraya

Interesting! Thanks for the hint on the system.log! Just checked the one on my Mac, it says the following... Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2015-04-18 um 20.26.14_Snapseed.jpg
Views:	958
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	137400  
Old 04-18-2015, 03:03 PM   #8
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Two possibilities:

(1) One of the USB ports are malfunctioning. Check you Mac with a smartphone, it if works then clean the port on your Glo. It might work, or it might be broken and in need of replacement.

(2) USB driver or the Glo's internal disk is corrupted. Kobo mounts a FAT32 disk, try another FAT32 disk. I don't think Kobo's internal memory is faulty, it would have given a different error then. But it might just be possible, check here to change it: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209122 (there are unix tools to substitute, like dd, search for them)

Till you solve the problem or get a new device use COPS or Calibre Content Server to get books on your Glo. COPS is a little harder but would be faster and easier after setting up, Calibre Content Server comes build-in with Calibre. Just open it and browse [MAC'S LOCAL IP ADDRESS]:8080. You could see your machines local ip address in Network window, it would be something like this: Wi-Fi is connected to Mercury and has the IP address 192.168.2.51

This is COPS working on my DigitalOcean VPS and in my Glo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXSaK3RbaOQ (cover appears after half a minute or so)

Last edited by GERGE; 04-18-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:11 PM   #9
suraya

Thanks for your help.

1. Smartphone and other hard drives work perfectly. Will try and clean the port.

2. So I opened the Kobo, took out the card, put it into my Mac, Mac doesn't recognize card (not even on Disk Utility) *scratch scratch*
System.log says "device is not ready", later this: 18.04.15 22:07:55,818 diskarbitrationd[39]: unable to probe /dev/disk3 (status code 0xFFFFFFFC). Then there's a pop up message from Mac saying that it was unable to read it.

3. Tried Calibre, but somehow that crappy Kobo doesn't show me the page. However, I found another workaround, similar to Dropbox and it works just fine. Thanks for that! Had no idea!

Do you have any more ideas for #2?
Old 04-18-2015, 05:38 PM   #10
GERGE
Guru

Kobo's internal memory is in ext4, OS X can't read that. But user accessible memory should have been mounted, it gets mounted in my internal microsd card. There are Kobo Glo microsd images in development forum here, try one of them with a *new* microsd card. You can use Disk Utility or these tools: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Disk_cloning (I recommend dd, it is best tool for disk cloning and available in OS X)

There is a problem with your microsd, but I can't say more without more data.

Last edited by GERGE; 04-18-2015 at 05:42 PM.

Tags
kobo glo, mac