Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-27-2019, 09:57 AM   #1
Tuneraider
Connoisseur
Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle, Tolino, Nook
Kindle Paperwhite 10th Generation Software Update 5.11.1

Didn't see any listed new features.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...4HPVAW86CHYHKS
Tuneraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
maximus83
Nameless Being

Installed earlier this morning, and it has transformed my PW4 from a device I love into....a device I love. :-) No problems with the install.

Agree with you, from just a few minutes of use and quickly clicking through generic and book-specific settings, I haven't noticed any changes yet.

One minor detail: I think they have updated the PW User's guide. I already had the latest one installed previously, but they just downloaded "5th edition." Sadly, won't have time to read through the owner's manual this morning to see what new and exciting details we have in there. :-)
Advert
Old 03-27-2019, 12:37 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Have you checked to see if the ‘read/unread’ filter is there yet? Mention of this is in the latest Kindle for iOS update, and I think it is supposed to come for Kindle as well.

Hmm. Just checked iOS app, there is a new ‘Publication Date’ sort option, FWIW (does not seem to be very useful or accurate).

Answered my own question: no read/unread filter yet, but:

- translation support for Afrikaans, Catalan, Icelandic, Swedish and Welsh
- new keyboard languages (same set of languages, save Welsh which probably does not need one)
- ‘performance improvements, bug fixes, and other general improvements’

Last edited by tomsem; 03-27-2019 at 12:51 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:13 PM   #4
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Have you checked to see if the ‘read/unread’ filter is there yet? Mention of this is in the latest Kindle for iOS update, and I think it is supposed to come for Kindle as well.

Hmm. Just checked iOS app, there is a new ‘Publication Date’ sort option, FWIW (does not seem to be very useful or accurate).

Answered my own question: no read/unread filter yet, but:
Good idea to check, that's a feature I could use. I'm not seeing it either in Kindle device or Android app.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:02 AM   #5
fendesa
Enthusiast
fendesa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
I have created collections folders (to read) (reads)

Inviato dal mio Mi A2 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk
fendesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2019, 02:36 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fendesa View Post
I have created collections folders (to read) (reads)

Inviato dal mio Mi A2 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk
That is what I do, too. But I don’t always keep up with it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:20 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
My Update Kindle is grey.... guess it will have to wait till later.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:59 PM   #8
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen (2015)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
My Update Kindle is grey.... guess it will have to wait till later.
Mine still hasn't let me update to 5.10.3 and I'm lay to do it manually.
newkindlefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:29 PM   #9
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Looks like the update download is now available for other kindles, although for other kindles, it is 5.11.1.1, not 5.11.1 like for the 10th gen Paperwhite.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:07 PM   #10
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
This was my first Kindle update after getting a Chromebook. The Chromebook didn't recognize the Kindle file but it didn't need to. It held the file till I copied it to the Kindle and all went well.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:13 PM   #11
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The download page does not have any release notes. Once the firmware is installed the What's New screen shows the following:

Quote:
Version 5.11.1.1 - April 2019

Here 's what's new:

New translation languages: Translation support added for Afrikaans, Catalan, Icelandic, Swedish and Welsh.

New keyboard languages: Keyboard support added for Afrikaans, Danish, Icelandic, Norwegian and Swedish.

Performance improvements, bug fixes, and other general enhancements.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:42 PM   #12
HowlerX
Enthusiast
HowlerX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
One of the "general enhancements" I noticed was an improvement in the way text is "refreshed" whenever you look up a word in the dictionary. Previously when you looked up a word and closed the window of the definition (or Wikipedia/Translation lookup window) the text where the window displayed was faded and you could see a "ghost image" of the window. Now the text is refreshed immediately after closing the definition window so this doesn't happen. This "enhancement" seems to be for the 10th gen Paperwhite only, as the 5.11.1.1 firmware on the Voyage doesn't include this.
HowlerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:07 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
It was just a couple weeks ago that I installed 5.10.3 on my Kindle (Basic) 8th Generation. I'm not sure how (what appears to be) a few minor changes rates this jump in version number, but I've never really understood Kindle's firmware numbering scheme anyhow. At this point I think I'll just wait for this upgrade to be pushed out. It seems like 5.10.3 is working pretty well.

Last edited by rcentros; 03-30-2019 at 03:54 PM. Reason: changed understand to understood
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:35 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
Looks like the update download is now available for other kindles, although for other kindles, it is 5.11.1.1, not 5.11.1 like for the 10th gen Paperwhite.
Yes, it's there for gen7 pw, that's the PW2015? I think mine, but I lent it to someone. Maybe get it back tomorrow.

Edit: I have ebooks with Nordic names with ð Ð þ Þ etc. They at least display. Well, not sure about the Kindle DXG I just gave away and the Kindle Keyboard I just received. Surprised that with how popular publishing and reading per head of population is in Iceland (most in the world?) that they are only adding more support now? But OTOH, multilingual support for Hebrew, Arabic, Cyrillic, Chinese, Japanese etc had been on Windows and Linux (and Kindle was based on Linux?) LONG before the first Kindle was out and for YEARS Amazon only supported Latin/Roman and Greek characters (no doubt for maths & quotations?). Too USA centric.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-30-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:14 AM   #15
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7
Connoisseur
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about

Device: PW4 32GB (G000 T607) 5.12.3
Could someone with PW4 confirm that updating to 5.11.1 doesn't kill the jailbreak? I know the jb is practically immortal but still would like a confirmation.
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 is offline   Reply With Quote