Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 07-27-2019, 07:17 AM   #1
duranboy
duranboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
File Preview Missing on Second Monitor

Hi all, I'm having an issue where my file preview panel won't show up.

I undocked the panel and moved it to my second monitor in order to have more space for editing. On closing the editor and reopening it, the preview panel was nowhere to be seen. This persists even after toggling file preview in the "View" menu, restarting and even uninstalling and reinstalling Calibre.

Does anyone know how I can get it back - for instance by resetting window positions somehow? Thanks for the help.
duranboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:15 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by duranboy View Post
Hi all, I'm having an issue where my file preview panel won't show up.

I undocked the panel and moved it to my second monitor in order to have more space for editing. On closing the editor and reopening it, the preview panel was nowhere to be seen. This persists even after toggling file preview in the "View" menu, restarting and even uninstalling and reinstalling Calibre.

Does anyone know how I can get it back - for instance by resetting window positions somehow? Thanks for the help.
Did you rearrange your Monitors (in Windows)? Windows (or it may be QT) is stupid. It still has the position of old. Try putting the Desktop Display positions back long enough to move the window onto the Main screen, then quit Calibre (it saves the positions). Now put your display settings to rights and start Calibre. You should now be able to put things where you want
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2019, 01:43 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I just did a quick check of this in v3.46 and didn't have a problem (Windows 10, Surface Go with external HD monitor in "extended" mode). I don't normally use the Preview window undocked so I don't have long experience with this mode.

One trick I've used to restore window locations with other programs is to turn of, or otherwise blind the computer to the existence of, the second monitor temporarily. This forces Windows to move all windows to the main monitor.

What OS (exact version) are you using and what version of calibre?
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:20 PM   #4
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
If OS is Windows and the problem is just a window lost on another monitor issue, then with Calibre running try right clicking in a clear area of the taskbar and select Cascade Windows or Show Windows Stacked. This will pull all windows back to the monitor being used.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote