Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
LGN
Connoisseur
LGN is on a distinguished road

Device: ProMedia eReader, Sony PRS-600
Calibre and Sigil styles

Sometimes I come across an epub that is converted with calibre, and when working with Sigil I end up with a mixed bag of Calibre/Sigil styles on pages.

I wonder if this is possible or would be in the future:

- Redirect and synchronise all styles to the stylesheet.css file
- Make Sigil and Calibre work better together by using same styles
- Have an option to link the WYSIWYG style buttons to your custom CSS instead if inserting styles in a page itself.
- Have Sigil support some CSS template you like to use for your books and use that when editing styles.

Most of the time I spend doing several rearch/replace after eachother to change an ePUB to my preferences, it would be nice to be able to do that using some kind of batch search/replace. But maybe thats for when in the future Sigil will support scripting

Cheers
LGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN View Post
Sometimes I come across an epub that is converted with calibre, and when working with Sigil I end up with a mixed bag of Calibre/Sigil styles on pages.

I wonder if this is possible or would be in the future:

- Redirect and synchronise all styles to the stylesheet.css file
- Make Sigil and Calibre work better together by using same styles
- Have an option to link the WYSIWYG style buttons to your custom CSS instead if inserting styles in a page itself.
- Have Sigil support some CSS template you like to use for your books and use that when editing styles.

Most of the time I spend doing several rearch/replace after eachother to change an ePUB to my preferences, it would be nice to be able to do that using some kind of batch search/replace. But maybe thats for when in the future Sigil will support scripting

Cheers
From what I see, neither program has a single "Standard" style
Most times, you get the same
body is calibre, but sometimes it is Calibre3
standard paragraphs can be almost any number(3 and above)
Sigil appears to assign SGC#'s FCFU (first come first used ) and they vary from page to page, since they are NOT added to the (a) style sheet
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I try to avoid Calibre for conversions. It does the job, but I don't like the code afterwards... It is different everytime. If I have to, I change the code to more straightforward code with a stylesheet.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:05 AM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
I am sure that Kovid would be the first person to tell you that Calibre isn't a conversion production tool. Calibre is a perfectly good program, to do what it's designed to do, which is be one's own personal reading library. I really dislike the idea of bastardizing Sigil to "synchronize" with Calibre (no offense, Kovid).

Sigil is an epub production and editing tool, and Calibre really is not. Maybe some of you should look at Jutoh instead of Sigil.

HTH,

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I agree Hitch. I use Calibre for my maintaining my library and I like it very much. In that it excels. I use Sigil for my epub creation and changing. It is really good for that. Conversions I do mainly by hand, but sometimes use Calibre if it is easier. I cleanup the result with Sigil. No problem, I know that beforehand and it is a deliberate choice at that moment.

Haven't looked at Jutoh for quite a while.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 02:17 AM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I agree Hitch. I use Calibre for my maintaining my library and I like it very much. In that it excels. I use Sigil for my epub creation and changing. It is really good for that. Conversions I do mainly by hand, but sometimes use Calibre if it is easier. I cleanup the result with Sigil. No problem, I know that beforehand and it is a deliberate choice at that moment.

Haven't looked at Jutoh for quite a while.
Hi, Toxaris:

I think Jutoh is a perfectly decent, if not very sophisticated, tool, for people to use to make an html document into epub, mobi and SW-formatted {something} fairly simply. If people are using Calibre to convert, and retaining those styles, then something like Jutoh might be a better fit. It has a Word-like "styles" interface that an end-user type person can utilize to style the document/book as he sees fit. For non-professional converters, or people wanting to do their own individual book for uploading, it's probably a pretty good solution...you don't have to know CSS, which seems to be a major stumbling block with Sigil, for those who don't want to learn, and it even ePUBchecks.

I own a copy, mostly because I think I should keep up with these things, although I've not made a "live" book with it, I played with it a little to see how it works, and I think it's a really suitable end-user-type tool for making eBooks. It's not Sigil, but not everyone needs that granular control you get in production conversion. {shrug}.

But my point was, vis-a-vis the OP: I don't want Calibre's styles, I want my own. It's why I use Sigil. if you've properly defined your styles in the external ss, you don't get whapped with the Sigil Styles, and if you do, you can add whatever you forgot to the external ss and delete the Sigil Style at the head of the document.

So, my perspective and strongly-held viewpoint: let's leave well enough alone. Sounds like a purple bidet to me.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote