Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-06-2019, 11:07 AM   #2731
aradhya214
aradhya214 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite PW1
I've been following the same exact steps. However, for the sake of completeness I re-downloaded the firmware update file from Amazon, kept it in root folder. I also don't have the update your Kindle greyed out. I'm able to select it and get a message of your software will update. However, when I press OK, the kindle just boots up/restarts. I don't see any updating Kindle screen.

Also for the past few days my Kindle randomly restarts
aradhya214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #2732
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That might be hint of failing internal storage, but it's usually a tiny bit more obvious...

If your device is still on a JB-friendly FW, you *could* try a factory reset, but it might not change anything.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2019, 12:48 PM   #2733
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Has that Kindle's case ever been opened?
That description sounds like a loose battery or other cable connection.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:24 AM   #2734
aradhya214
aradhya214 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite PW1
Have never opened the kindle case. Not reached that level. ��

However, it has dropped a few times. Will try factory resetting and redo the steps. Btw, I'm on FW 5.3.3
aradhya214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:36 AM   #2735
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aradhya214 View Post
Have never opened the kindle case. Not reached that level. ��

However, it has dropped a few times. Will try factory resetting and redo the steps. Btw, I'm on FW 5.3.3
Most likely, it has knocked something loose.
Just put it back together.

Check our "Master Index" for teardown(s), it is rather straight forward.
Advert
Old 08-03-2019, 09:13 AM   #2736
aaronwi
aaronwi began at the beginning.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Okay, as promised earlier, here's an early winter break present .

PSA: All downloads have been moved to the Snapshots thread! (Under the "K5 JailBreak HotFix" listing).

If you've just successfully ran any iteration of a Factory JailBreak, this is your next step .
Alternatively, if you happened to be running a live, but outdated version of this JailBreak when you got a >= 5.6.x update, this package should get you back on track.

Download the latest package from the Snapshots thread, under the "K5 JailBreak HotFix" listing, and unpack it.
Copy the Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.15.N_install.bin file to the root directory of your Kindle.

Now, eject & unplug your Kindle, and go to [HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Update Your Kindle. If the update is successful, you're golden. If it fails, it probably means you weren't properly jailbroken before the update, in which case, you're still screwed.

----

If you're coming straight from the 5.6.5 JB or the Factory Downgrade threads and you completely skipped the first post of *this* thread, be aware that on FW >= 5.5.x (i.e., you), using MRPI is REQUIRED to install every other custom packages!
After installing factory firmware 5.4.3.2 on the PW2, and jailbreak it with the ;installhtml hack, if I copy over the K5 JailBreak HotFix, the .bin file is automatically deleted on every eject, and the 'update kindle' button is always grayed out. what's the process from here?
aaronwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:30 AM   #2737
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@aaronwi: You're doing something wrong, somehow?

Double-check that you're properly unpacking the packages, and putting the right file(s) in the right place(s).

Also check that the Factory JB did actually take...

(If it didn't, the PW2 is still vulnerable to the old JB described in this thread. You'll still need the Hotfix to be able to run ;mrpi though. If that's still a bump in the road, you can also reboot, then install the KDK variant of MRPI, and use that to install the bridge .bin from the JB package).
Old 08-03-2019, 01:30 PM   #2738
aaronwi

Quote:
@aaronwi: You're doing something wrong, somehow?

Double-check that you're properly unpacking the packages, and putting the right file(s) in the right place(s).

Also check that the Factory JB did actually take...

(If it didn't, the PW2 is still vulnerable to the old JB described in this thread. You'll still need the Hotfix to be able to run ;mrpi though. If that's still a bump in the road, you can also reboot, then install the KDK variant of MRPI, and use that to install the bridge .bin from the JB package).
Well I followed the steps to get the factory fw, ran the factory jb, got the confirmation message, txt file, and folder / kindlet, confirming the jb. so...what could that be?

One note, I had 5.6.5 from an ota update years ago, then recently installed the factory 5.4.3.2 version, but the thread mentions it's not possible to downgrade, yet system info says I did.

All these threads make a confusing maze as to what to do. to finding the factory jb for 5.4.3.2 I went to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186645 which leads to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275887 which is the htmlviewer hack, which I did. is this not it?
Old 08-03-2019, 01:50 PM   #2739
aaronwi

guess I cant update a post..
so I went through using kindle-jailbreak-1.15.N-r16256.tar.xz and kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip which was successful. but still am unable to get the hotfix to work, grayed out menu and the .bin file is automatically deleted.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:11 PM   #2740
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@aaronwi: The sticky arguably mainly targets FW > 5.6.5.

The PW2 is alone in being in the peculiar situation of potentially being vulnerable to three different JB methods: The factory one (which *should* work), which you followed; the 5.6.5 one, which you were pointed to in another thread; and the <= 5.4.4.2 one, from this very thread.

The sticky chooses the path of least resistance (to keep things simple), that means it only details the one that works everywhere: the factory JB.

Yes, there are specific (older) FW ranges (depending on device) where downgrades *are* possible. That has also been elided from the sticky to keep things simple .
Old 08-03-2019, 02:14 PM   #2741
NiLuJe
BLAM!

In your specific case, the fix is simple: instead of using the "hotfix" .bin, use the "bridge" .bin from the full JB package.

(The hotfix won't run on FW < 5.5.0, by design, as earlier FW could just run the bridge package directly).

I agree that it is quirky enough that it ought to be jotted down somewhere more clearly, I'll see where best to stick it...
Old 08-04-2019, 01:11 AM   #2742
aaronwi

Quote:
In your specific case, the fix is simple: instead of using the "hotfix" .bin, use the "bridge" .bin from the full JB package.

(The hotfix won't run on FW < 5.5.0, by design, as earlier FW could just run the bridge package directly).

I agree that it is quirky enough that it ought to be jotted down somewhere more clearly, I'll see where best to stick it...
Would this tutorial not all work best as a wiki? Did the forum get that much out of control, or is there a good reason for history purposes? or better, maybe a series of prompts to direct a user to the proper JBing process? (Click x for firmware y, unhides next step)

Anyways, because I couldnt get the JB hotfix working, I found stock 5.6.5 upgraded to that, jailbroke it with the jb html files, whichever jb method that is, then applied the jb hotfix, and all seems well now.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:46 AM   #2743
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I simply tend to prefer threads for canonical, centralized documentation, especially when it concerns stuff I have intimate knowledge of (i.e., when I wrote the code).

That leaves the wiki for more open-ended stuff, or more fluid stuff that might evolve with time. Also, the forum makes it easier to react to feedback, much more so than setting a watch on the discussion page of a wiki page. Plus, no random edits from that one guy who didn't read the instructions carefully enough, but managed to make it work in a completely random way but still decided it was worth making it known to the world, effectively rendering the whole thing 33% less readable and 66% more wrong for no good reason ;p

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-04-2019 at 02:51 AM.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:09 AM   #2744
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwi View Post
Would this tutorial not all work best as a wiki? Did the forum get that much out of control, or is there a good reason for history purposes? or better, maybe a series of prompts to direct a user to the proper JBing process? (Click x for firmware y, unhides next step)
- - - - -
Ah so; a volunteer.
Let us know how you make out with that editing task.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:16 AM   #2745
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Ah so; a volunteer.
Let us know how you make out with that editing task.
I was waiting for this post from you.
You are late! Stop enjoying summer, this forum needs you!
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch