Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-14-2019, 04:37 AM   #1
WaseemAlkurdi
Zealot
WaseemAlkurdi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (K5) Wi-Fi x 2, Kindle (7th Gen, KT2), Paperwhite 3rd Gen
Kindle 7th generation software jailbreak?

I have received a new(ish) Kindle 7th generation. It has been in storage for a while, so it's at Kindle firmware 5.9.4. Any possibility for a software-based jailbreak that involves a downgrade to factory firmware or something?
I know that it normally cannot be done, but what about the "special exceptions"?

I want to open the new Kindle, but I don't have access to a serial cable at all (not even online), so I have to look for somebody with a Raspberry Pi.

I looked for take-it-apart guides, and the best written guides were @knc1's KT2 Exposed thread and iFixit's teardown.
iFixit says that it's easy, mild adhesive, no hairdryer heat needed, only credit-card-opener, while @knc1's post says that it's difficult, delicate, strong adhesive, and specifically warns about using a credit-card-opener. Which one is it? I tried sliding a credit card, but the Kindle's frame won't budge.

Last edited by WaseemAlkurdi; 09-14-2019 at 05:10 AM.
WaseemAlkurdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:32 PM   #2
WaseemAlkurdi
Zealot

Anybody? :-(
Advert
Old 09-14-2019, 02:21 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320564

Show some evidence of having read the first part of the first post in the above thread?
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:11 PM   #4
WaseemAlkurdi
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320564

Show some evidence of having read the first part of the first post in the above thread?
I did read that (It's called the index thread _and_ it's been pinned there since a little while before eternity). I was asking if there were any special, undocumented cases, possibly because of being dangerous for the average user or something to that effect.
What made me post this is this comment on that very thread. I do apologize if this post's first question was completely unnecessary.

Anyway, I have bought myself a USB to TTL board, and I think I'm going to crack it open instead. I have just finished opening up my dead Kindle Touch, so this one should be easier.

Edit: This makes the post's title and first question completely redundant, while the second question in my OP is still valid.

Last edited by WaseemAlkurdi; 09-14-2019 at 06:18 PM.