Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #1
angelicachao
angelicachao began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 3G+wifi
questions about jailbreaking for kindle 3 3g+wifi

hi, i recently dug out a kindle 3 3g+wifi from my old study (turns out i already have an ebook reader! ), and my friend suggested that i do a jailbreak.

the truth is that i'm not really sure about what the jailbreak is or what i'm supposed to expect, and my friend's kindle is a lot newer than mine

here's what i've already did:
1) i found this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88004 and copy-pasted update_jailbreak_0.5.1_k3g_install.bin into my kindle (which was working with a 3.2.1 system) and updated it
2) it restarted and i didn't get any notice of whether it's free so i decided to update it with amazon's .bin files to 3.4.2
3) after updating, i did no.1 again and got the same result

so my question is
1. how am i supposed to know whether my device is free?
2. why doesn't my screensaver change after i updated it with Update_ss_0.47.N_k3g_install.bin?
3. after i've broken free, is it possible to change the homescreen book list into grids showing the book covers?
4. can i install KUAL: Kindle Unified Application Launcher in my device? or is the version of my device too old?

Last edited by angelicachao; 02-07-2018 at 10:06 AM.
angelicachao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the dev forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:11 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelicachao View Post
- - - -
so my question is
1. how am i supposed to know whether my device is free?
2. why doesn't my screensaver change after i updated it with Update_ss_0.47.N_k3g_install.bin?
3. after i've broken free, is it possible to change the homescreen book list into grids showing the book covers?
4. can i install KUAL: Kindle Unified Application Launcher in my device? or is the version of my device too old?
1) By trying to install one of our add-ins packaged in an update_*.bin format filename.
2) Why should it?
You are installing a jail break, not a screen saver.
3) I don't recall. Most likely answer is: No (what you ask is a feature of the touch screen firmwares).
4) Read the details in the first post of the KUAL release thread.
Then look in mirror and ask yourself this question.

Yes, I can read that you have at least tried to find the answers on your own to those questions.
You must have just over-looked the things where they are answered. Maybe not opening a spoiler and reading what it was hiding somewhere along the way.
At least you did look - I have to give you an atta-boy for trying.

Last edited by knc1; 02-07-2018 at 12:15 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:30 AM   #4
angelicachao
angelicachao began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 3G+wifi
1) okay, so there won't be an image that shows you that the device had been freed like the newer versions, just install it and it's done?
2) I installed the screen saver hack (the ss one) after installing the jailbreak, I thought that it would work after it's freed. But it didn't. Is it that I can only pick one?
3) okay though that's sad (´Д⊂ヽ
4) I'm gonna guess that this thread, 2013,is the oldest? (Even though it's version 2.7, but I did a search but could find other posts.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ation+Launcher
If there's anything I've overlooked, which I'd say would be a lot cause there are so many abbreviations that I don't understand, I'd guess that this one “It'll run on (pretty much) anything, as long as it's running FW >= 2.3! With a particular caveat on the KT2/KV/PW3, where some early firmware versions won't let you run it... ” should be the answer? What does FW mean?

And now I've got a new question, I hope I won't be disturbing you too much
5) my device is unable to connect to Wi-Fi anymore, does that have any thing to do with …… all this? How can I fix it?

Thank you soooooo much.
angelicachao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
5) it should not have any effect on the wifi operation.
Perhaps it is that you have just noticed the wifi problem.

"can not connect to wifi" - -
Do you mean connect to the Internet over wifi?

Or do you mean connect to wifi WITHOUT any connection to the Internet?
I.E: Just to your local network by wifi.
If so:
Top level of visible USB storage, put a file by the name of:
WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE

FW :: FirmWare.

- - - -

Additional info here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=237799 (post #8)

Last edited by knc1; 02-09-2018 at 11:48 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote