Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-06-2016, 06:41 AM   #91
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Top post updated (again)
This time about having the battery fully charged and the long time(s) reported for some devices to complete the downgrade step.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:48 AM   #92
nbveh
nbveh began at the beginning.

Device: TrekStor Pyrus mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Change the setting of the Cloud/Local thingy on the left of the main screen.

The labeling and function of it changed with one of the very recent versions.

[EDIT] AHA! Just needed to restart it another one time, now it's all back and working!

Ah, now i see, i have to choose 'downloaded' to see the KUAL and my epub files.

BUT, KUAL is not launching anymore, says 'this device is not authorised as a test Kindle', and if i press one of the epubs, 'the selected application could not be started'.

So it's like jailbreak is still there, but i've lost some developer key or something. How do i fix this? Just to repeat myself - if i downgrade back, it works as it should!

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by nbveh; 07-06-2016 at 07:01 AM. Reason: fixed it
nbveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2016, 06:52 AM   #93
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbveh View Post
Ah, now i see, i have to choose 'downloaded' to see the KUAL and my epub files.

BUT, KUAL is not launching anymore, says 'this device is not authorised as a test Kindle', and if i press one of the epubs, 'the selected application could not be started'.

So it's like jailbreak is still there, but i've lost some developer key or something. How do i fix this? Just to repeat myself - if i downgrade back, it works as it should!

Thanks a lot!
Re-install the 'hotfix'
A change in registration status or something else wiped it.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:05 AM   #94
knc1
Going Viral

Another update to the directions.
More corner cases covered that might be causing problems for some of the users.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:09 AM   #95
Sepelion
Sepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage
EDIT UPDATE: HOORAY! Unbricked! (see my post a few posts down, but please be careful with the PW3's since this is now multiple reports running into this snag!)

Quote:
Thanks a lot.
Another early PW-3 model, that might be significant.

Anybody else?
Please do the same.
Hi. I registered just to sadly inform that my PW3 (wifi 2015 "G0 90G1") bricked at step 4 reverting to the initial firmware, which was md5 checked. It's just looping on the installing firmware thing and then it gets to the "Repair Needed" screen, and hitting the power button makes it go back to the same installing firmware thing for a minute or two, only back to the repair needed screen again. Looks like paperwhite is now paperweight. Here's the info.

How many documents/books where on the device?
Over 100

Do you make bookmarks, annotations?
Yes

Do you use collections?

Use the Kindle's Cloud Account or just Local?
Both

You had a passcode set?
No

This was an ad supported (Special Offers) Kindle?
Yes

Do you recall what version of the firmware was running when you started this downgrade process?

Was the device registered?
Yes? I can use Send-to-Kindle.

What are the first six characters of the device's serial number (you can find that now in your Kindle account on Amazon).
G0 90G1

Last edited by Sepelion; 07-06-2016 at 07:19 AM.
Sepelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2016, 07:15 AM   #96
SteveJordan
SteveJordan began at the beginning.

Device: KPW 3
Quote:
Leave it on a wall charger while we work on this.
At least one person reported that their Kindle (a KT2) required over an hour for the downgrade to complete.
That means something bad will happen if the kindle is discharged ? (This is not my case).

@Sepelion : Can you USB with your kindle ?
EDIT : I'm happy for you

I feel alone :'(

Last edited by SteveJordan; 07-06-2016 at 07:32 AM.
SteveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:24 AM   #97
Sepelion
Sepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage
Hi,

I edited my previous post to make note that I unbricked.

- Connected via USB to a windows machine, thankfully the kindle popped up
- in root directory made a new txt doc DO_FACTORY_RESTORE and removed the .txt extension so that's all there is for the file name
- in explorer, right click eject the kindle (safely remove)
- all of this was while the kindle was still looping in "upgrading your kindle mode"
- held down power button until the screen went blank and the backlight went on and off a bit, probably 10-15 sec
- rebooted to a stock setup screen with just "set up your kindle" and "kindle paperwhite user's guide", so it's back to stock firmware and working.
- Device info reports: 5.6.1.1

*phew*

Also, since that 5.6.1.1 is reported in device info, would that be the same as the one that was supposed to be loaded anyways in step 4? That file is also called 5.6.1.1 for the PW3 initial firmware. I thought maybe about going to step 5 from here, but I'm a bit sketchy.

Last edited by Sepelion; 07-07-2016 at 03:16 AM.
Sepelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:38 AM   #98
knc1
Going Viral

Updated the directions for the special case of PW-2 devices, now running factory 5.4.3.2
Old 07-06-2016, 07:42 AM   #99
knc1
Going Viral

Your post now referenced in the directions.
Thanks for the report.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:18 AM   #100
peterslo
peterslo began at the beginning.

Device: PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Updated the directions for the special case of PW-2 devices, now running factory 5.4.3.2
Thanks, I was able to install the Jailbreak from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645. I got the ****JAILBREAK**** message.

Updating to latest software version now.
peterslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:29 AM   #101
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterslo View Post
Thanks, I was able to install the Jailbreak from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645. I got the ****JAILBREAK**** message.

Updating to latest software version now.
I am really sorry about that - I kept forgetting to put the "pw-2 exception" into the directions.

My only excuse: age and been busy.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:42 AM   #102
peterslo
peterslo began at the beginning.

Device: PaperWhite 2
Quote:
I am really sorry about that - I kept forgetting to put the "pw-2 exception" into the directions.

My only excuse: age and been busy.
Don't worry! I'm just glad it all went smoothly.

Thanks!
peterslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:18 AM   #103
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
This is the start of day #3, so far about 400 .. 500 brave jailbreakers and two (2) bricked Kindles
one (1) bricked Kindle from earlier versions of these directions.
376 downloads (302GB) at MediaFire. Plus whatever damage your server bandwidth has taken.

geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:25 AM   #104
knc1
Going Viral

We may have to put the European cloud on-line when NiLuJe gets here.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:26 AM   #105
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
We may have to put the European cloud on-line when NiLuJe gets here.
I need his links for the pastebin.

Would it be safe to add (honorable purpose) torrent links, so many folks can share the bandwidth load?

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-06-2016 at 09:30 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote