Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-24-2015, 05:12 AM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Instructions for patching firmware 3.18.0

See the Index to the Metazoa firmware patches thread for a description of what these patches do.

Before starting:

1. Make sure your Kobo ereader is already running firmware version 3.18.0 (b88456ee3d).

2. Check that your battery is well charged.

Patching from Windows, Linux (i386/x86_64), or Mac (OS X 10.8-10.9, i386/x86_64):

1. Download and extract patch_kobo_3180.zip (attached). [WARNING: If using Windows, make sure the path to the extracted files does not contain any '&' characters.]

2. Download the Kobo firmware archive version 3.18.0 for your device (See this thread) and copy it into the 3.18.0_source/ subdirectory. (Don't extract the firmware zip archive.)

3. Read and edit all the *.patch files in the 3.18.0_source/ subdirectory in order to: choose which patches to enable (patch_enable=`yes`) or disable (patch_enable=`no`); and to change some of the replacement values to suit your device and preferences.

4. In Windows double-click 3.18.0.bat; For Linux/Mac open a terminal, change to the patch_kobo_3180/ subdirectory, and run ./3.18.0.sh from the command line.

5. If there were no errors, copy the resulting KoboRoot.tgz from the 3.18.0_target/ subdirectory to the .kobo directory on your ereader.

6. Safely eject and unplug the device, which will then update and restart.

To return your ereader to its original unpatched state:

1. Edit all the 3.18.0_source/*.patch files to disable all patches (set patch_enable = `no` for every patch).

2. Repeat steps 4-6 of the procedure above.
Attached Files
File Type: zip patch_kobo_3180.zip (476.7 KB, 785 views)

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-09-2015 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Replaced attachment that I removed by accident.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:13 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Notes and more patches

Notes:

* This firmware version has a new bug that affects full-screen reading mode, once triggered it causes the screen to not refresh at all (Aura) or to refresh every page (other devices). It is not caused by these patches, it happens with the stock firmware too. It also affects normal reading mode, but in a much less obvious way. See this post for a fuller description.

* There is a new `Force user line spacing in ePubs` patch. This patch is in two parts, part one in libnickel.so.1.0.0 and part two in librmsdk.so.1.0.0, you need to enable both parts for it to work.

* The `Change dicthtml strings to micthtml` patch is included in the main archive. If you don't know what this is then you don't need it. (Something to do with custom dictionaries.)

* The `ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins` patch has a new option to set the left/right @page margins to a fixed size instead of zero as in earlier versions of the patch. (Default is still zero.)

More patches:

A replacement hyphenation dictionary for the Dutch language. (This dictionary works with all firmware versions, but needs to be re-installed after each firmware update.)

A Turkish language hyphenation dictionary can be found here. Although this firmware version has support for Turkish as a UI language, it doesn't come with a Turkish hyphenation dictionary, so this one will probably remain installed after a firmware update (unless Kobo add their own in a future firmware version.)

`Only show multi-touch options on multi-touch devices` (Useful for Glo only)

A patch to `Increase ePub L/R margins by 2% in normal reading mode only`.

A patch to `Un-Force user font-family in KePubs`

A patch to `Disable KePub FullSceenReading block img style` which fixes a problem that only affects KePubs in full-screen reading mode.

A patch to `Ignore ePub Adobe XPGT stylesheet (page-template.xpgt)`

It turns out the existing `Custom page refresh options` patches don't work on the Aura. This `Custom page refresh options (Aura only)` patch can be used instead.

If you know of any other patches for firmware 3.18.0 post them in this thread and I'll add them to this post.

Last edited by GeoffR; 11-29-2015 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Added link to `Custom page refresh options (Aura only)` patch.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:56 AM   #3
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Thank you so much, GeoffR!
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:13 AM   #4
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
Thank you very much, GeoffR.
Martina Schein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:44 PM   #5
outlandos
Connoisseur
outlandos doesn't litteroutlandos doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo HD
You are the best.
outlandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:53 PM   #6
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Thank you very much, GeoffR.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:45 PM   #7
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, Touch, H2O - now Aura One and Kindle Oasis 3
can't find the 3.18.0 download in that thread...?

Scratch that ;-)
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:49 PM   #8
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdinova View Post
can't find the 3.18.0 download in that thread...?

Scratch that ;-)
Oops.. ruined my screen..
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:36 PM   #9
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Thanks for the patches

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Notes:

* This firmware version has a new bug that affects full-screen reading mode, it causes the screen to refresh every page regardless of the settings. It is not caused by these patches, it happens with the stock firmware too...
Interesting, on my Aura this does not appear to be the case. I have 'Show header and footer:' unchecked (that's full-screen reading mode right?) and my Aura only refreshes after each chapter, just like its set to. I can see this by having my light 100%, and all the ghosting disappears at the end of a chapter.
What is odd though if I open the reading settings, and close it, it no longer does a page refresh every chapter, it appears to not do it at all, no mater how many times I turn the page! I have to close, and reopen the book before the refresh will work again. very odd.
Something funny had been done with page refreshes this firmware, that's for sure.

Last edited by freekobo; 09-24-2015 at 02:48 PM.
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@freekobo: That's a decent possibility, the Aura is the only Kobo device using some kind of variation on the "regal" waveform tech, so it does handle eink updates in a different way.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #11
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by freekobo View Post
Interesting, on my Aura this does not appear to be the case. I have 'Show header and footer:' unchecked (that's full-screen reading mode right?) and my Aura only refreshes after each chapter, just like its set to. I can see this by having my light 100%, and all the ghosting disappears at the end of a chapter.
What is odd though if I open the reading settings, and close it, it no longer does a page refresh every chapter, it appears to not do it at all, no mater how many times I turn the page! I have to close, and reopen the book before the refresh will work again. very odd.
Something funny had been done with page refreshes this firmware, that's for sure.
Thanks, it sounds like a different manifestation of the same underlying bug. It would be good to know if other devices than the Glo an Aura are affected by this. EDIT: answered in another thread: yes the AuraHD is affected, and so I guess all other devices will be.

Also, could someone with a device other than a Glo or Aura check whether the reading settings page has options for "Pinch to adjust font size" and "Two-finger swipe to adjust brightness"? I wonder if it is just the firmware getting confused about whether it is running on the Glo or Aura in some places.

Last edited by GeoffR; 09-24-2015 at 06:05 PM. Reason: FullScreenReading refresh bug affects other devices too.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:20 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Also, could someone with a device other than a Glo or Aura check whether the reading settings page has options for "Pinch to adjust font size" and "Two-finger swipe to adjust brightness"? I wonder if it is just the firmware getting confused about whether it is running on the Glo or Aura in some places.
Aura H2O does not have those settings on the reading settings pages.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:50 AM   #13
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Just since it's not been specifically mentioned has having the full screen reading issue, I can confirm the H2O is indeed affected. I debated sticking with 3.17.3 or converting back to epub. I'd switched to kepub after they enabled sideloaded kepubs to have some reading stats. While that's a nifty feature, I'd rather have a full screen experience which I can get with epub and patches.

That'll teach me for converting for a minor feature.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:39 AM   #14
GeoffR
Wizard

`Only show multi-touch options on multi-touch devices`

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Aura H2O does not have those settings on the reading settings pages.
Thanks, so this patch is only needed on the Glo. It prevents the "Pinch to adjust font size" and "Two-finger swipe to adjust brightness" settings from showing on the Reading Settings page.

Edit: Patch updated, it now displays the correct instructons for adjusting the brightness on the help pages. The two-finger swipe doesn't work on the Glo, use the brightness slider or a single-finger swipe along the left margin in a book instead.

Firmware 3.18.0, paste into libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch:
Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Only show multi-touch options on multi-touch devices`
patch_enable = `yes`
#
# The Glo's Reading settings page shows "Pinch to adjust font size" and
# "Two-finger swipe to adjust brightness" even though those options don't
# work on the Glo. The Glo's help pages also give the incorrect instruction
# to use a two-finger swipe to adjust brightness.
#
# This patch causes those options only to be displayed on devices which support
# multi-touch gestures: the Aura, and devices with a custom multi-touch kernel,
# and displays the correct instructions for adjustting the brightness on the
# Glo's help pages (brightness slider ot single-finger swipe.)
#
# In N3SettingsReadingView::N3SettingsReadingView(QWidget*)
#  Device::isPhoenix() --> Device::supportsMultitouch()
replace_bytes = 764A8C, 87 F4 18 EA, 9E F4 60 EE
# In BrightnessHelpDialog::BrightnessHelpDialog()
replace_bytes = 7B9DA6, 32 F4 8C E8, 49 F4 D4 EC
# In ReadABookBrightnessPage::ReadABookBrightnessPage(QWidget*)
replace_bytes = 7CF8A6, 1C F4 0C EB, 33 F4 54 EF
</Patch>

Last edited by GeoffR; 09-27-2015 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Updated patch, removed alternative.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:35 AM   #15
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Just since it's not been specifically mentioned has having the full screen reading issue, I can confirm the H2O is indeed affected. I debated sticking with 3.17.3 or converting back to epub. I'd switched to kepub after they enabled sideloaded kepubs to have some reading stats. While that's a nifty feature, I'd rather have a full screen experience which I can get with epub and patches.

That'll teach me for converting for a minor feature.
I have no issue with the full screen mode on my H20

regards
JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote