Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
Dutch Reader
Dutch Reader began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302
Newbie but already hooked!

I've only got to use my PB302 for little over a week but I'm already hooked. I loved reading on it. But I've had to sent it back because of technical problems and I miss it terribly. Especially when I read here about all the things you can tweak on the device. So, boohoo, I want my reader back!

Sorry, just had to vent my frustration.

Looking forward to putting in to practice all the wonderfull tips I've been reading here, once I get my PB302 back.
Dutch Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I hope you get it back very soon and that there are no further mishaps. Glad to hear you were enjoying reading on it. I'm looking forward to getting my PB360 this week if it gets here on time. I have been playing with calibre getting everything set up and loving that.

Jodi
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Dutch Reader

I love playing with Calibre as well! At home, no one shares my enthusiasm. They either don't read or aren't into e-reading. It's nice to find a kindred spirit here!

Too bad I can't play with Calibre as much as I'd like due to recent surgery (working on a computer or laptop is not the best posture at the moment). But piece by piece my Calibre library is getting filled!

I hope your 360 arrives very soon, Jodi!
Old 07-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Too funny. I tried to show my dh some of what calibre can do and he looked like me like I was from another planet, lol. He does not care about those things. Oh well, I am enjoying it. I can't spend too much time on it since I have three boys, one being 4 months old but when I get the time I can to sit down and play, it really is fun.

Apparently, my tracking has changed for my PB360 and it is no longer going to be here on Friday. Instead I get to wait until next week as it is now predicting August 4th. We have a long weekend here coming up so I was kind of hoping it would get here before the long weekend but I guess not.

Hope you are feeling better soon from your surgery.

Jodi
Old 07-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
Dutch Reader

Thanks for your kind wishes.

Too bad you have to wait a bit longer! Mine is almost on the way, just one thing needs some further testing. I can hardly wait.

I hope your tracking willchange again and your PB360 will still arrive Friday. Otherwise, lots of fun playing with Calibre.
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 04:06 AM   #6
darkforce
Enthusiast
darkforce began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Try to configure Calibre to save books on disk/device in the way you like. For me, it make life easier to group them by tag and series.

Have fun with tweaking PB. It's one of the most impressive thing for this device.
darkforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
mcrmama
Addict

Thanks, yes I played with Calibre grouping a couple of days ago. I was excited that I figure it out. For the moment I have it grouping by author, then series, then title. Maybe I will play some more with tag etc. I did do a catalogue also where I can then check by tag, the author of the book I am looking for and figured between the two that would make it simple to find what I am looking for. I also have some fonts/dictionary etc ready to go. It shouldn't take too long to be up and running when it arrives.

Dutch Reader, no change in tracking but on the plus side, the one I ordered for my dh for which I got a backordered notice when mine was shipped, went out yesterday. Be interesting to see how close together they arrive.

Jodi
Old 07-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrmama View Post
I did do a catalog also ... Jodi
I have found that Calibre's build-your-own catalog feature is one of my favorites. I use it to build an ePub catalog of my "To Be Read" pile. I make sure all my TBR books have a description of them as some time usually passes before I get around to reading the book - and I forget by then! Then, and kudos to jackie_w for this tip, I open the catalog with the Adobe Reader on the PB360 and browse for the book's description. Using Adobe gives me cover views along with the description, plus a nice table of contents. Again, a great feature of Calibre.

Here's hoping your PB360 (and your dh's) get there quick. You sound like me - anxiously waiting for the mail. It will get there - promise! Then, you'll see how worth the wait it was.

Happy reading.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
mcrmama
Addict

Thanks Marilyn. I know it is coming. I am one of those people who researches until I can't research anymore before making a decision so once that is made, I just want to have it already, lol. You know, one of the reasons I have been a bit anxious about seeing the pb is after just hearing the announcement about the new kindle etc which happened after I made my order. It makes me hope I made the right decision. I keep reminding myself the reasons why I picked pocketbook still exist and are valid even with the lower priced readers coming. I am really excited to see my new reader! I hope it does make it today. I do think the pocketbook matches my personality of how I look to do things.

Actually, I just checked tracking again and it was scanned in Richmond, BC this morning and has now been rescheduled to today. Richmond is a 4-5 hour drive away so we'll see if it makes it this afternoon.

So one thing I did with the calibre and the catalogue was to tag my dh's books and my books as well as our library books. Then I created a category called my library and created a saved search for each of our books. This way we can sort by each of our own books without having to maintain more than one library. I also created a read column for each of us so we can generate lists of books that are unread for each of us. We each have our own catalogue for these. Really cool.

Jodi
Old 07-31-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
Dutch Reader

I'm tagging all my books as well, and have created catalogues. Don't exactly how that's going to work with the PB but I'll find that out soon enough.

And I see I've got some things to learn yet, like saved searches...
Old 07-31-2010, 09:38 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Reader View Post
I'm tagging all my books as well, and have created catalogues. Don't exactly how that's going to work with the PB but I'll find that out soon enough.
Seen this?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82664
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:35 AM   #12
mcrmama
Addict

fjtorres - Great thread thanks! I am going to have to play with that. That looks really neat. I hope I can figure it out how I want it. Looks like I might have some fun!

Dutch Reader, the saved searches are not hard at all. Watch the video on the calibre website. I think it was here: http://calibre-ebook.com/demo#tutorials Basically if you do a search, then you can put a name in the box on the right and click the little plus button beside it to save it. Once it is saved, you can go to that search anytime you want since it will be in the searches category. You can also do other searches where you restrict to a search you have already done. So, if I restrict to Jodi's unread books, then I can click on the tags to see unread books with a certain tag. Have fun with it. I have set up a few other searches such as showing my priority books I want to read next by setting a column up for setting priority of books etc. I'm sure over time I'll find out which searches are most handy to keep saved.

So, my PB360 did not arrive yesterday. The tracking said yesterday all day and then at around 8:30pm it disappeared so I guess it will now be Tuesday since we don't get mail on Saturdays and Monday is a holiday here. It should be in time to play with a bit before I go on my trip next weekend.

Jodi
Old 08-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #13
Dutch Reader

Thanks for the link to that thread, fjtorres, it's great!

I'm gonna watch that video, Jodi, thanks! I didn't know it was there but it sounds interesting. Does it also show how you can mark books as read or unread? Or do you use tags for that?

Too bad your PB hasn't arrived yet, Neither has mine. I guess w'll just have to be patient. (Which is not one of my strong suits, I'm afraid.)
Old 08-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #14
mcrmama
Addict

Yes, it does. You can either do read as a tag or as a column. Use a tag if you want it to show in a catalog you make. I decided to use a column and to do one for each family member. Just go to preferences, interface. On the bottom you will see a list of columns and you can add a custom column by clicking the little plus sign. Choose to use the yes/no format and give your column a name. Now you can update in metadata or just doubleclick the cell.

We will have to be patient. I think mine will be here tomorrow. We will see.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #15
Dutch Reader

That video is really great, Jodi, thanks a million! Don't understand I didn't find it earlier but very glad I've seen it now. Very useful!